Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrong way..again!!!!

Options
  • 20-05-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Driving to Limerick this morning and found the guy in the clip below. Twice in the last 6 months and 3 times in 5 years I have met someone driving the wrong way down the motorway towards me!

Not 1 person in Ireland is trained or tested how to use motorways/dual-carrageways. At what point does the RSA need a kick in the hole to add it to the driving training? Lets bury a few people before we cop on ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's Charles Darwin up to his old tricks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

If you managed to get the reg from your camera - I would report this to the Gardai, Maybe someone could take responsibility for this once and for all..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and travelling against the right hand lane, it couldnt be any worse if they tried. People like this should be banned off the road for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Did they do a U turn ? seems to be turning around up ahead of you at start,which means they were on a motorway going the right way and thought.....d'ya know what.... :eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Wow.. How someone like that is capable of using the same roads as me actually scares me a little !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nemeses wrote: »
    If you managed to get the reg from your camera - I would report this to the Gardai, Maybe someone could take responsibility for this once and for all..

+1 Report.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

gutteruu wrote: »
    Not 1 person in Ireland is trained or tested how to use motorways/dual-carrageways. At what point does the RSA need a kick in the hole to add it to the driving training? Lets bury a few people before we cop on ??

This has nothing to do with the lack of motorway training to be fair; this person is simply criminally stupid and needs locking up for everyones safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Send the video to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Saw someone turn right out of the RDS yesterday and head down the wrong side of the road (follow the red line on the pic).

Of course, there was a car coming straight at them. The oncoming car beeped and looked like they were thinking about jamming on(!). The lunatic hit the gas, and headed for the rapidly dwindling gap between the end of the island and the oncoming vehicle (roughly where the white van is in the pic).

I let out a shriek of alarm from my observation point (not in the way of either car, but close enough). The nutter escaped unscathed, but it really makes you wonder what is going on in these people's heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Should be a minimum of a years ban and the requirement to sit your driving test again.
    Probably someone who never did a driving test anyway.
    Ffs it's kinda common sense, drive in the same direction as the other cars on a feckin motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

djimi wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the lack of motorway training to be fair; this person is simply criminally stupid and needs locking up for everyones safety.

I would agree on this, Also its part of the rules of the road / Theory test on how to use a motorway correctly.

Besides, only a fool would not notice his lane merging into two lanes and other traffic going the same direction as themselves...

Shouldn't be on the road... full stop.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Are you sure you weren't going the wrong way, that driver looks totally responsible and is obviously trying to get out of your way....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Glebee

tossy wrote: »
    Did they do a U turn ? seems to be turning around up ahead of you at start,which means they were on a motorway going the right way and though,d'ya know what.... :eek::rolleyes:

Sweet Jesus they did do a u turn. Stupidity of the highest level

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

check_six wrote: »
    Saw someone turn right out of the RDS yesterday and head down the wrong side of the road (follow the red line on the pic).

Of course, there was a car coming straight at them. The oncoming car beeped and looked like they were thinking about jamming on(!). The lunatic hit the gas, and headed for the rapidly dwindling gap between the end of the island and the oncoming vehicle (roughly where the white van is in the pic).

I let out a shriek of alarm from my observation point (not in the way of either car, but close enough). The nutter escaped unscathed, but it really makes you wonder what is going on in these people's heads!

The amount of times I've seen someone turn off the Clonskeagh Road onto Bird Avenue at this junction http://goo.gl/maps/wBPpR

People have such poor observational skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd have to echo previous statements.

Nothing to do with Motorway training more to do with stupidity !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

That was a U Turn! absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

In all fairness, I'd say its quite tricky top pull off a 3 point turn on a motorway without killing somebody.
    A little credit is due here people!

KeithTS wrote: »
    A little credit is due here people!

To somebody driving down the wrong way of a fast lane of a motorway?

you're taking the piss, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

MugMugs wrote: »
    you're taking the piss, right?

Of course I'm taking the bloody piss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭markpb

MugMugs wrote: »
    To somebody driving down the wrong way of a fast lane of a motorway?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I met a guy at the same place several years back. Nearly pooped my pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Just can't figure out what must be going in these loon's heads, seriously, U-Turn on a dual carriageway.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any amount of training that would take care of this kind of maneuvers, it just takes stupidity and lack of awareness - innate, ehm, "skills" than no training can eradicate.

One thing, however, can be done to try and reduce the frequency of such events: modify the exit signage on national roads and motorways. More often than not, you have a nice big panel with all the indications...a KM before the exits, which are then marked with just numbers. If you're not very familiar with the particular stretch of road, it is very easy to miss your exit when faced with exit "1", "2" and "3". Of course the sane driver will cop on, continue, leave the road at the next exit and rejoin it the proper way.

The idiot going "ah sure, it's only 200m, I'll reverse/U-Turn!", however, will always be around...

markpb wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had this happen to me on the M3 one evening just outside Dunshaughlin.. except it was a Garda car flying up the hard shoulder!

After ringing the local station they were allegedly chasing a car doing the same thing - except I joined the M3 at Blanch and something like that isn't a thing you'd miss.. must have been a car with the new "stealth" paint job option.

Wasn't any answer either for why they were endangering other motorists themselves, rather than pursuing this invisible car from the correct side of the motorway and radioing ahead to block off exits etc

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Same thing happened me a few years back except it was everyone else that was going the wrong way :eek:.

I keed :P :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I had this happen to me on the M3 one evening just outside Dunshaughlin.. except it was a Garda car flying up the hard shoulder!

After ringing the local station they were allegedly chasing a car doing the same thing - except I joined the M3 at Blanch and something like that isn't a thing you'd miss.. must have been a car with the new "stealth" paint job option.

Wasn't any answer either for why they were endangering other motorists themselves, rather than pursuing this invisible car from the correct side of the motorway and radioing ahead to block off exits etc

What? Ah for f*ck sake not here too :rolleyes:

Speed trap the old N3, force people to use the motorway for that sh*te? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

its not rocket science, these people should be off the roads or banned from the motorway for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

in-ground-military-base-heavy-duty.jpg&q=100&a=c&w=590&h=786

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It could be someone with a health problem, or worse, drink or drugs and are unaware of the danger they pose. If it was safe I would have flagged them down and taken the keys until the guards arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

in-ground-military-base-heavy-duty.jpg&q=100&a=c&w=590&h=786

Only problem with that idea is then you have a car blocking the top of an off-ramp until it's removed... and given the speed some people come off motorways that's just asking for disaster!

Again using an M3 example, about a month ago I was heading into Navan and as people familiar with that exit will know, it's a very short run-off followed by a hard left.. Too hard for the guy in the Hilux that had managed to half jump the barrier by approaching too fast.

Advertisement