Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

decent brand of wiper blades

Options
  • 18-05-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭

As above. What are good wiper blades? I fitted a set of bosch ones about 3 months ago which I thought would be a top brand but now they are juddering and squeeking and its really annoying. The same happened with a set of bosch ones before but I put it down to the freezing weather at the time...

What other decent brands are out there? Or is 3 months the life span of blades now??:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Fitted bosch myself only a month ago, and they're rubbish also. Same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Bosch are rubbish, they last three months maximum. Been using trico instead and they have lasted a year. I would recommend them or possibly valeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

As much as it may pain you, go to the dealer for wiper blades. I went through two sets of Bosch, both sets were rubbish. Dealers were €70 odd (bmw), but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Valeo and Trico are brand names. I have found them fine in the past.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60008/wiper-blades-tested

Maybe you need to clean your windscreen so the blades have a good surface to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Switched to Bosch after a few years using halfords own brand which are dreadful. Never had any issues with them , but I clean them quite regulary .
    Heard Champion are pretty good .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

After going through several different makes including Trico, Bosch and Valeo I've now settled on using Alca wiper blades in either super flat(a little messy looking but brilliantly silent) or standard form. I find them very good and are excellent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Are your wipers aero type or standard Sean?

For aero blades we use the genuine VW refills.

For standard type wipers we use SWF wipers which are very good. They are OEM for Ford and lots of other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Are your wipers aero type or standard Sean?

For aero blades we use the genuine VW refills.

For standard type wipers we use SWF wipers which are very good. They are OEM for Ford and lots of other manufacturers.

They are the standard ones George. I was thinking of getting the bosh aero ones and replacing the rubbers with the VW refils like I done on the leon.

If you want to try a set of the SWF wipers then call over some day. If they don't last I will give you your money back.

Cheers George. I might take you up on that offer!!
    Roughly what price for a set? 19 and 21 inch from memory

• Advertisement

Roughly €16-18 for the pair Sean but I would have to check for you on Monday. What did you pay for the Bosch set?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

As much as it may pain you, go to the dealer for wiper blades. I went through two sets of Bosch, both sets were rubbish. Dealers were €70 odd (bmw), but worth it.

Same boat here, bought BMW wiper blades last week off Main Dealer.
    BMW packaging on box and Bosch stamped on the wipers themselves.

But they are completely silent and effective in use.

Roughly €16-18 for the pair Sean but I would have to check for you on Monday. What did you pay for the Bosch set?
    Cheers George. Do you stock the vw refills too?
    I think it was around 15-20 quid for the bosch ones. Cant remember exactly. Was looking to get flat ones but he only had one in stock and wouldn't of had the other side in for a few days. The ones that were on it were driving me mad so I settled for the normal ones!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Another recommendation for OEM on BMW.

sean1141 wrote: »
    Cheers George. Do you stock the vw refills too?
    I think it was around 15-20 quid for the bosch ones. Cant remember exactly. Was looking to get flat ones but he only had one in stock and wouldn't of had the other side in for a few days. The ones that were on it were driving me mad so I settled for the normal ones!!

Yes we keep the VW refills in stock as well. They fit loads of other aero wipers not just VAG so we get through loads of them.

We also have the Champion aero type wipers that are universal fit and come with an adapter that allows them to be used as an aero conversion type wiper as well. I have a pair of them on my Merc for the last 8 months and they are grand. Possibly not altogether as good as the genuine Merc parts but a fraction of the price.

I might get a set of them champion ones off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I have been using Hella wipers for the last few years and have found them to be quiet good.

C Eng wrote: »
    Same boat here, bought BMW wiper blades last week off Main Dealer.
    BMW packaging on box and Bosch stamped on the wipers themselves.

But they are completely silent and effective in use.

Very odd that BMW ones are so good if made by Bosch and people saying Bosch dont last . As I said I've had no problem with Bosch at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been using Aldi wipers for years now, I will never buy Bosch/Champion/Valeo etc wipers ever again, they're all rubbish in comparison. The aldi wipers I have a blade/spoiler which keeps the wiper pressed against the windscreen when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

A properly cleaned windscreen is crucial for any wiper to work satisfactory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Been using Valeo flats for the past 2 years, same set.... No problems to report yet

T-Maxx wrote: »

As is regulary cleaning the blades

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bosch standard with the little aero flap. Work grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

70 quid for a pair of wiper blades? :eek: What were they made from, parts of the Shroud of Turin? Jeeeebus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Wibbs wrote: »
    70 quid for a pair of wiper blades? :eek: What were they made from, parts of the Shroud of Turin? Jeeeebus.

I was quoted the same for aero blades for a Volvo s80.
    I am expecting the Alca ones from ebay here next tuesday for €25 delivered from the UK.
    I am willing to try the Alca blades out before shelling out 70 bucks for fcuking wipers.
    They are the conversion kit also. The Bosh ones were ~ €45 and up delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

always got on well with bosch me
    i had 2 sets on my old almera over about 2 1/2 years. just on my second set in the avensis - have had her a year and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Got 3 new wiper blades fitted by VW at the last service. Jesus it was the single best thing I had done to the car in years. I completely forgot how important it is to have decent wipers. I was praying for rain for weeks I was so impressed with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

BMW do not have their own wiper blade factory. Find out who are the original OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for BMW and buy them for a fraction of the price from a Motor Factor.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Maybe you need to clean your windscreen so the blades have a good surface to work with.
    T-Maxx wrote: »
    Rippy wrote: »
    As is regulary cleaning the blades

I regulary clean my windscreen and wipers. Even if i don't get to wash the rest of the car it is always cleaned and the washer bottle topped up. I can't stand a dirty screen. I polised it the other day with the DA so its not a dirty screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

PIAA blades are very good also.

Advertisement