Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got told, "If you want quiet libraries you can go back to the dark ages".

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

To be fair if you are studying for your leaving cert then you're probably 17 or 18, so nobody cares what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rollokb

Dermighty wrote: »
    To be fair if you are studying for your leaving cert then you're probably 17 or 18, so nobody cares what you think.

I could threaten the councilor I'll get my friends to split the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

To the OP: the reaction of the manager was not appropriate. You should contact the library/council in writing, because if there is one thing for sure, if you don't, nothing will change.

If you do write, you should not only point out the bad service you received but put forward some kind of suggestion (rather than just a whinge.) For example, a dedicated study area/room for people who do require a quiet area for research and/or study. This is not an unreasonable suggestion...as they say themselves:

"Louth County Library service will ensure that all resources, regardless of format, are effectively managed by library staff. In addition, it supports lifelong learning in our community and caters for the cultural, recreational and information needs of the local population."

[my emphasis]

Obviously the LC should take priority so good luck with that! But don't be shy to take on this issue - there are probably many others who share your concerns!

MoeJay wrote: »
    To the OP: the reaction of the manager was not appropriate. You should contact the library/council in writing, because if there is one thing for sure, if you don't, nothing will change.

If you do write, you should not only point out the bad service you received but put forward some kind of suggestion (rather than just a whinge.) For example, a dedicated study area/room for people who do require a quiet area for research and/or study. This is not an unreasonable suggestion...as they say themselves:

"Louth County Library service will ensure that all resources, regardless of format, are effectively managed by library staff. In addition, it supports lifelong learning in our community and caters for the cultural, recreational and information needs of the local population."

[my emphasis]

Obviously the LC should take priority so good luck with that! But don't be shy to take on this issue - there are probably many others who share your concerns!

I'd personally like to see some clarification of what recreational means. It's too vague. Many things are recreational, like sport, and evidently childcare. But they don't belong in a library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

After enjoying the library in Dundalk for over 40 years I now get my books and leave as quickly as possible. If it's not preschool kids running wild it's secondary school kids hiding out and making noise. It's no longer a library and more a community centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

After enjoying the library in Dundalk for over 40 years I now get my books and leave as quickly as possible. If it's not preschool kids running wild it's secondary school kids hiding out and making noise. It's no longer a library and more a community centre

Have you complained? Or at least let it be known that you are unhappy with the facilities? Things don't change unless people request it.

Have you complained? Or at least let it be known that you are unhappy with the facilities? Things don't change unless people request it.

Of course I have - I'm long enough on this planet to know that! All I get is a shrug and agreement from the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Of course I have - I'm long enough on this planet to know that! All I get is a shrug and agreement from the staff.

That's not on.

Libraries in my mind ARE meant to be quiet places.

@purplecow1977, @Srameen, we should do a petition. Seeing as the sole justification of the management ****ing up the library is getting bodies though the door. We could get 100 signatures, and threaten to cancel the membership if the noise levels are not addressed.

Membership is another important factor. I pay to use the library while those making noise and being a nuisance don't actually have to be members of the library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

The reference part upstairs is lovely and peaceful, it closes for lunch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

I think the OP is dead right. I have young kids that I bring to the Library but only to take out books and not for any playgroup. I know many libraries have these sort of groups in separate rooms which I think is fine but it is ridiculous to think a Library can still be called a library if it hosts these groups in the main area.
    It sounds like they want to justify the existence of the library and its level of staff by saying that they have X amount of people in each week – even if those people don’t come for the library related facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm a bit of a blow-in here, just saw the thread on the Boards main page.

I think the OP has a fair point. If the library wants to have functions like this toddler morning then they should do it but in a separate room to the main library.

It sounds that it was more a playgroup than anything else. Surely there must be other public facilities in the area more appropriate for this like a community centre?

One of the attractions of a library for a lot of people is that it is quiet, which can be relaxing even if you're just reading the newspaper or a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Maybe this has been mentioned as just scanned the thread. The bottom line for Library manager is simply footfall. Each child and a parent is a tick in a book, added up to say 'look how many people have visited the library this month/year etc therefore we have justified the cost of providing the service and our existance - now can we have a bigger budget next year?'
    People using the 'services' in public buildings have been counted as visitors to boost figures so at least screaming kids and parents are legitimate visitorsredface.png

Its not appropriate imo except on designated and limited times that children visit with their schools or groups (just like the swimming pool). The library should be accessible to all but library etiquette should be taught and observed depending on group age of course. By the way there are many more than LC students that would appreciate quiet as they conduct research! and i have cursed the increased noise caused by these seasonal visitors myself ironically.

The reference section is to be the quiet area but is open to the ground floor so a bit of a design flaw so. Cant please everybody but it is a limited building with finite resources to adapt to everyones needs.

To the LC students id suggest using DKIT library even if it is slightly out of the way - far more appropriate for your needs.

Librarian was bang out of order and an email of complaint should be sent to the Director of Services at LouthCoCo, County Manager even, not for the noise but for the lack of manners and understanding, and a suggestion that excessive noise is driving other users away.

Yes a Drogheda counsellor on Louth County Council is entitled to speak in relation to the Louth County Library HQ if they are bothered with the hassle. Seeing if similar issues occur in Drogheda and Ardee and if so there might be a case for going as far as the council chamber...maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Drogheda is similar. As it's on one level noise is a big issue ESP when the kids are in.

I'm studying at the moment (mature student part time) and used balbriggan library last week. Great library but it was actually the LC students who were disruptive. If they weren't hogging the desks by not actually being there they were messing, throwing paper at each other. Shouting across the desks. Balbriggan also has split level which is a flaw. Study rooms should be completely separate

I now head into Dublin (an hour from me) to go to my college as they have designated study rooms.

I remember my dad bringing me to libraries when I was young. I'd be terrified of making any sound!

Advertisement