Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got told, "If you want quiet libraries you can go back to the dark ages".

Options
  • 18-05-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

On Thursday I was in the Dundalk library studying for my Leaving Cert. Also there were about 20 children at a weekly event called, toddlers morning; and 20 LC students who were being increasingly frustrated by the fact that the library was turning into a playground (The noise was becoming ridiculous).

My friends and I eventually complained and the manager came out, and was furious. She started ranting about, "how libraries are changing. And, if you want quiet libraries you can go back to the dark ages".

The noise levels in the Dundalk library are just ridiculous. I want to make clear that I have nothing against children in libraries; it's good to see children read. However, if you invite parents to bring their children in with noisy electronic toys to have a play group, the management is clearly misunderstanding what a ****ing library is for.

How do we stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I think you might be misunderstanding what a library is for. If you want to go back to the days when libraries were quiet then remove all the dvds, magazines,computers and social groups that use this public facility.
    Personally I think the way libraries are today are great.
    If you were studying for your leaving on a school day morning, why were you not in school? Is that not what they are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rollokb

No. A library is a place of public study. Which, of course involve computers, DVD, magazines, and social groups (and should be inclusive of people of all ages). But using a library as a playground, forget it, that's what a community centre is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I was in the ILAC library on Thursday, one of the busiest in the country I'd imagine and was amazed at how quiet it was. Libraries can become more modern but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able cater to people who want to read in a quiet atmosphere.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I think you might be misunderstanding what a library is for. If you want to go back to the days when libraries were quiet then remove all the dvds, magazines,computers and social groups that use this public facility.
    Personally I think the way libraries are today are great.
    If you were studying for your leaving on a school day morning, why were you not in school? Is that not what they are for?

Don't twist what I'm saying. I never said that libraries shouldn't have a multitude of media. I said they shouldn't be used a play centers.

Also, why is it your business that I wasn't in school? It's better to study independently than to have to contend with messers, and frankly useless teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

rollokb wrote: »
    Also, why is it your business that I wasn't in school? It's better to study independently than to have to contend with messers, and frankly useless teachers.
    It's none of my business why you were not in school.

But when you come on to a public forum complaining that the library was noisy with a pre-arranged toddlers morning, which was held during normal school hours, then it's a valid question as to why you chose to study there during school time.
    Maybe the library staff would think this was a good time to allow a toddlers playgroup in as there should be no LC students in studying.
    Surely a better option is to go to the library in DKIT which is a quiet area for study?

If you can't concentrate due to messers and useless teachers in your school then you should probably address this before complaining about Louth County Council's library policies.

Anyway, your idea of what a library should be used for in the morning is opposite to my view, so I have nothing more to contribute to your discussion. Good luck in the leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Maybe the library staff would think this was a good time to allow a toddlers playgroup in as there should be no LC students in studying.

Then the library staff are tools, because there is NO good time to allow a feckin toddlers playgroup in a library. It's a library. People go there to read and to study.

Then the library staff are tools, because there is NO good time to allow a feckin toddlers playgroup in a library. It's a library. People go there to read and to study.

It was the manager who got in a huff. When I spoke to the librarian I knew, he was in full agreement (He said that he wished the library was a library again), but he also said it was just to get people though the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dr. Nooooo!

Its not a college library.

People and groups use it all year round so the concerns of LC students using for for a few weeks dont really concern me.

The thing is to try and make libraries fun for very young children as this will encourage them to read.
    My library has events where kids are read to, storytellers come in etc, I think its great.

People and groups use it all year round so the concerns of LC students using for for a few weeks dont really concern me.

The thing is to try and make libraries fun for very young children as this will encourage them to read.
    My library has events where kids are read to, storytellers come in etc, I think its great.

Who says that is the 'thing'? We have schools to teach kids to read. Libraries are used by the whole of society, not just mummies looking for somewhere to offload their sprogs for babysitting. Their purpose is to provide access to information and knowledge and that should remain the priority, as it is in the vast majority of libraries. Nothing wrong with the odd event aimed at kids, just as there's nothing wrong with the odd poetry reading or whatever of an evening, but there is no real justification for a library hosting a children's playgroup at any time.

I have tried to use libraries all year round but the noise has always driven me away. I have no problem with designated times where the noise levels may be a bit elevated, children must learn how to read. However, this event as far as I could see had no relation to reading, it was simply a scheme to get stay-at-home mothers in with their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I suggest the OP make a written complaint, if necessary in a few weeks . While Libraries are not study areas for LC students, who have schools and homes to go to, they should be orderly places where people can read in peace. Electronic toys are way out of order, just as the older students should not be allowed play noisy video games on computers. THe OP is not entitled to go to playcentre and demand quiet, but can have that expectation in a library. If storytellers are desired let them tell their stories in a room away from the library space.

The manager is not doing her job and the reference to the dark ages is far removed from proper customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Oh you crazy Louth folk and your libraries - always bantering at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Who says that is the 'thing'? We have schools to teach kids to read. Libraries are used by the whole of society, not just mummies looking for somewhere to offload their sprogs for babysitting. Their purpose is to provide access to information and knowledge and that should remain the priority, as it is in the vast majority of libraries. Nothing wrong with the odd event aimed at kids, just as there's nothing wrong with the odd poetry reading or whatever of an evening, but there is no real justification for a library hosting a children's playgroup at any time.

Who said the parents were not there? So your babysitting argument is out the window.

We also have schools so that students can go to and study for their leaving cert.

Just as an aside are there no libraries in schools these days?

I can see both sides of this but a leaving cert student complaing about the facilities when they actually should be in school is silly. If that is the case why not just stay at home and study.

Students, arguably need libraries the most, especially school students. Like many, I don't have a great place to study at home, it's loud, and sometimes family life is nerve-racking. Also, there is research to suggest that it is the poor who need libraries the most, and by no coincidence desire them to be quiet.

I found the "If you want quiet libraries you can go back to the dark ages", comment ****ing hilarious.

This Salon.com article sums it up http://www.salon.com/2013/01/31/bring_back_shushing_librarians/

petes wrote: »
    Who said the parents were not there? So your babysitting argument is out the window.

Who said they were there? Argument still in play.
    We also have schools so that students can go to and study for their leaving cert.

It is not only leaving cert students who go to libraries to read and learn. In any case, municipal libraries have more expansive facilities than schools do.
    I can see both sides of this but a leaving cert student complaing about the facilities when they actually should be in school is silly. If that is the case why not just stay at home and study.

Because they may not have tens of thousands of reference books on their shelf? Just as all the adults who use libraries do so because the library has books they don't have at home.

What are you on about? Are you honestly saying that because school exists, that I shouldn't be studying at a library?

What school are you thinking of that has a stocked library where you can study? Eton?

What are you on about? Are you honestly saying that because school exists, that I shouldn't be studying at a library?

What school are you thinking of that has a stocked library where you can study? Eton?

Were you not supposed to be at school?

The point is you don't need reference books. All the material is provided for you or am I missing the point of our education system? Yes, a quiet place to study is what you need but don't spout about a stocked library when all the course material has already been give to you.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My son visits his local library with the school as part of his curriculum to help him with life skills. Some of the kids are non-verbal. Some have difficulty controlling their voices (special needs class). Libraries are a community asset whose primary function is to lend books. If people choose to study there, good for them, but it's not the sole purpose.

If you require silence to study, go to an environment where you have control. And get off the internet. :D

So I don't sound like a moaning Michael, good luck with the exams. And the answer is probably c. Or b. Unless it's an essay question.

Were you not supposed to be at school?

The point is you don't need reference books. All the material is provided for you or am I missing the point of our education system? Yes, a quiet place to study is what you need but don't spout about a stocked library when all the course material has already been give to you.

No, I was not required to be at school. Why would I be? I'm 17, with 3 weeks until my LC. I get far more done studying myself. I know this from experience. Do you expect me to sabotage my education because some somebody on the internet expects me to be at school unable to study?

I never said I needed reference books, when I said stocked, I meant with desks to study on, and internet terminals to look up answers on (I don't bring my phone with me).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op have you thought about getting with other students and writing to the library management ,with some suggestions as to how both students studying for exams and other groups using the library can use the space with out interfering with each other ,ie limit the use of electronic toys and so on ,
    And maybe alternative time for noisy and quite time ,
    After all being public library the approach maybe be welcomed

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Op have you thought about getting with other students and writing to the library management ,with some suggestions as to how both students studying for exams and other groups using the library can use the space with out interfering with each other ,ie limit the use of electronic toys and so on ,
    And maybe alternative time for noisy and quite time ,
    After all being public library the approach maybe be welcomed

I'm thinking about that. Do you think writing to the council would do anything?

In the interim while you are making a 'complaint', why not walk the twenty minutes to the college and use that library?

In the interim while you are making a 'complaint', why not walk the twenty minutes to the college and use that library?

Its a public library ,its a community resource all customers have a right to use the space with consideration for all

I'm thinking about that. Do you think writing to the council would do anything?

Yeah write to the council too put forward clear points and arguments and clear suggestions as how students and the play group can use the space together with little disruption to each other ,maybe even ask for a meeting to discuss your idea ,maybe get a teacher to help with the letter

Yeah write to the council too put forward clear points and arguments and clear suggestions as how students and the play group can use the space together with little disruption to each other ,maybe even ask for a meeting to discuss your idea ,maybe get a teacher to help with the letter

I doubt they'd listen to me. It's in their interests to get as many people though their doors as possible, even if it it means destroying the library in the process.

You just might be surprised find out who you local councillor is and approach them with your letter even

You just might be surprised find out who you local councillor is and approach them with your letter even

Do you think a Drogheda Co. Councilor would be able to do anything, I have a good relationship with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Toddler Morning You Say!

If it doesn't go on all day, then go to the library when the group is over in the afternoon.

Your not required in school so you plan to go a bit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

In my daughter's school 6th years finished last week and are now expected to study privately (not at school where supervision has to be provided for any students on the premises) so I'm guessing the op is in a similar situation.

While many of us may have been fortunate to have home environments that allowed us to study, this doesn't seem to apply here (and I'm sorry to hear that op, LC is difficult enough) and he is obviously in need of somewhere to study.

When we say libraries should cater for everyone in society, we should also include those who need the library as a quiet place of study (or sometimes just a quiet place).

I think the librarian behaved very badly and you should absolutely write a letter of complaint. They need to figure out how best to broaden the library's appeal without losing what is at its core, a place for reading and learning. Otherwise what? Video screens with MTV for the teenagers? Screens showing "the game"?

The world is a pretty noisy place these days. We can cope with a few quiet ones surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

to the op, is there not a reference room in your local library where you can study in peace?. I used that in my local library when studying for exams

Advertisement