Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nokia Lumia 925

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Well yes or no?

Some differences between the 920.

nokia-lumia-925.jpg?w=812

New Camera
    Nokia has given the 925's camera a couple of small tweaks, too. It uses the same 8.7-megapixel sensor as its predecessor, but Nokia explained that it's improved the optics in front of the sensor. As well as the lightweight plastic lenses -- low weight is needed for the optical image stabilization -- the 925 uses a sixth glass lens which Nokia reckons gives better clarity, especially in daylight.

Nokia has also apparently improved its camera firmware to give better noise reduction in low-light situations.

You will find some new camera software on board, chief among which is called SmartCam. This app (also integrated as a camera lens) takes a burst of 10 images that you can then edit into an action sequence, change the faces, or choose the best image from the bunch to save. We've seen these functions already on the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Unlike the Galaxy S4 though, you choose how to edit the images after you've taken them, rather than choose a setting to shoot in beforehand.

The action sequence modes on other phones and found them to be a lot of fun -- so long as you have a particularly exciting scene to capture. Nokia's effort seems to work in much the same way, but with what seems to be a more stripped down, easier to use interface.

You can set the camera to automatically load in SmartCam mode, or you can pin the icon to your home screen to get access to it quickly.

Display
    The 925 packs a 4.5-inch display, which is physically the same size you'll get on both the 920 and 928. The 925 and 928 however use OLED screens, rather than standard LCD which promise richer colors and deeper black levels as they don't need to be backlit as do cheaper screens.

The specifications are largely the same as the Lumia 920. The Lumia 925 will come equipped with a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and 16GB of storage (some carriers will have 32GB variants). In fact if you simply glanced at a spec sheet then you might struggle to see the differences, but there are some subtle changes that make this stand out with an entirely new design.

What you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I want one. Hope Vodafone have it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

yes please... I have the 820 and I would love this theyre a brilliant phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

jimmynokia wrote: »
    925 and 928 however use OLED screens, rather than standard LCD which promise richer colors and deeper black levels as they don't need to be backlit as do cheaper screens.

I think you have it backwards here, a good LCD is a more expensive screen and generally has more accurate colour reproduction. OLED are cheaper and newer tech so aren't as advanced in quality as a good LCD, however they do have better blacks.

Also OLED can suffer from burn in, but not under normal use and they are getting better.

TBi wrote: »
    I think you have it backwards here, a good LCD is a more expensive screen and generally has more accurate colour reproduction. OLED are cheaper and newer tech so aren't as advanced in quality as a good LCD, however they do have better blacks.

Also OLED can suffer from burn in, but not under normal use and they are getting better.
    I think the Samsung amoled in the SG4 is pretty flawless tbh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

basiragi wrote: »
    I think the Samsung amoled in the SG4 is pretty flawless tbh

How can you know? burn-in happens over time and the s4 isn't out very long at all but burn-in is a problem with just about every oled screen.

• Advertisement

How can you know? burn-in happens over time and the s4 isn't out very long at all but burn-in is a problem with just about every oled screen.
    well it hasn't happened on the s3 and its been out quite a while.. Thought burn out only occurs on plasma screens. While LED s (generally) may dim I've not heard of burn out

apologies I see you said "burn in"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'm very disappointed the 928 isnt making it to Europe and we're getting the 925 instead. The Xenon flash is so rare on phones these days but is so necessary for night time shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

a SUPER MAN edition though for now china only.

gsmarena_005.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I've been using a 920 for the last few weeks and I am definitely going to upgrade to this phone. The weight of the 920 makes it too impractical a phone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Personally, that's not a problem for me and certainly not impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would only be interested in the 32gb version, 16gb with no card slot isn't really enough.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I've been using a 920 for the last few weeks and I am definitely going to upgrade to this phone. The weight of the 920 makes it too impractical a phone.
    I see your point I love the 820 but the weight of it tends to make me drop it a bit more than normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Any release date for the Irish networks?

Late july or august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Late july or august.

Really that late!?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Really that late!?
    That's what I was told when I went to see it, I'm constantly chasing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Out on 1st July with O2, VF, Meteor, Pre order available now on O2 Ireland

July'August

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So it will launch here just in time for the EOS

It's officially launching in the 1st of July and I'll be at the launch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's officially launching in the 1st of July and I'll be at the launch.

We're lucky to have you to give us information.

liamog wrote: »
    We're lucky to have you to give us information.
    The EOS is going to be announced on the 11th that will be some beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've been interested in this phone since its announcement. Been reading reviews and watching videos on youtube the last few days.

And the overwhelming consensious is that the marriage of aluminium rim and polycarbonate back is flawed.

There is a deliberate gap for removal of the back if the phone needs repares.

This results in a distinct creaking.

The pocketnow video review shows it very distinctly. :mad:

mad muffin wrote: »
    I've been interested in this phone since its announcement. Been reading reviews and watching videos on youtube the last few days.

And the overwhelming consensious is that the marriage of aluminium rim and polycarbonate back is flawed.

There is a deliberate gap for removal of the back if the phone needs repares.

This results in a distinct creaking.

The pocketnow video review shows it very distinctly. :mad:
    Pocket now have been slammed for the biased review I've used one and there is no such thing as per video, unless they got a pre release unit, given that faulty handsets, build quality issue's are always a possible factor with any manufacturer I would ignore that video..
    There was some creaking reports on t the 920 and all units where subsequently replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Vodafone has this as coming soon now

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

eMobile also getting on 1st July

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Three have confirmed they are not getting it: link

• Advertisement

Vodafone has this as coming soon now

Accidentally signed up to be notified when the new Experia is coming out because their link was wrong.

Advertisement