Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

colycivic wrote: »
    Do you believe they will apply for a 3.6km runway rather than a 3.1km one??

I think so.
    Longer for sure, yes! But further north would surely cost more than it's proposed currant location, not to mentioning they would need to purchase more lands to go further north than its currant location?

No it'll be within their current owner land just further north of current planned position, not a huge amount further north bit enough to allow ATC do fully independent ops if needed or that's what I'm led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colycivic

All in so it won't be active and fully operational till 2019-2020.

And current runway will need major rehabilitation work as well.

And current runway will need major rehabilitation work as well.

Well that's getting bandaid treatment at nighttime at the moment, but is due for overlay next year. It's a shame that the DAA are more reactive than proactive and haven't all plans ready to go. The second runway will be a major boost to our infrastructure, pity it's not already under construction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Sure fook it sure, just build the thing now and then look for retention if needs be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'll go five years further than that. 2025 for opening. There will be multiple lawsuits, airports can't be built/expanded easily anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

I'll go five years further than that. 2025 for opening. There will be multiple lawsuits, airports can't be built/expanded easily anymore.

Plus some time for political dithering. It's hard to make a decision about spending €300m (even if it actually comes from DAA borrowing) when faced with the "what about a second runway for Knock" or "why isn't it spent on motorways/hospitals/schools" brigade.

Planning permission is already in place, so if they DAA wanted they could start construction when 25 million is reached based on current plans.

Planning permission is already in place, so if they DAA wanted they could start construction when 25 million is reached based on current plans.

Exactly, or as I said they may have started carrying out the initial application already with the works currently being carried out, I can't seem to find the application for planning for the "aircraft parking area" (although i may have just not spotted it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Here's the AIP SUP for the current Phase 2 of those works.

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/SUPP%20Files/2015/EI_SUP_2015_11_EN.pdf

• Advertisement

FWVT wrote: »
    Here's the AIP SUP for the current Phase 2 of those works.

seen that, sorry I mean no planning application on fingal coco website for these current works! It is in the same location as the new taxiway and turning circle for the new runway. Would anyone consider this to possibly be a start to the construction process of the new runway process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Would anyone consider this to possibly be a start to the construction process of the new runway process?

I would say no as the runway would be further north
    runway_proposed_photo_v2.jpg
    It's an old picture,cant find the one i saw a while back that had it further north and longer

It would still seem to be in the vicinity of where the taxiway for the new runway is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

article from independent.ie on potential impending price war launched by Ryanair on AerLingus from Dublin...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-battle-with-aer-lingus-to-spark-passenger-price-war-31388694.html

this would certainly bring forward the time it takes to reach 25,000,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will be as successful as all the other times they've tried it (a bloodbath but with FR leaving / reducing).

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

L1011 wrote: »
    Will be as successful as all the other times they've tried it (a bloodbath but with FR leaving / reducing).

And against an airline that is now a lot nimbler, and with a lot of traffic (connecting) that Ryanair cannot touch.

Throw in the IAG/BA connection and it is a completely different game from the last time.

busiest month ever at Dublin airport this July 2.5 million pax have used it so far this month. If this price war breaks out between Aer Lingus and Ryanair, I reckon the number will definitely top 25,000,000...

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-07-30/Bank_Holiday_Weekend_Caps_Busiest_Month_Ever.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If this price war breaks out between Aer Lingus and Ryanair, I reckon the number will definitely top 25,000,000...
    No, Ryanair planes are full in and out of Dublin. Aer Lingus was not identified as one of the primary existing airlines which would possibly initiate a price war and based on their last results they aren't in a position to use attack as a means of defence.
    I do think that those new shiny 737-800s coming this year even if not based in Dublin might visit a few times a week and that will help to increase passenger numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

No, Ryanair planes are full in and out of Dublin. Aer Lingus was not identified as one of the primary existing airlines which would possibly initiate a price war and based on their last results they aren't in a position to use attack as a means of defence.
    I do think that those new shiny 737-800s coming this year even if not based in Dublin might visit a few times a week and that will help to increase passenger numbers.

Haven't FR promised 5 - 10 new based aircraft at DUB this winter? I doubt they'll be gathering dust, which means revenue services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

That's not a price war which is what the poster referred to.
    Ryanair worded their announcement about being ready to "respond" to a price war carefully.
    They've got a hell of a lot more than 4 or 5 new planes coming. Even with new planes based in Hahn or Cologne or Charleroi visiting a few more times a week numbers of passengers in Dublin will go up without having to rely on planes based in Dublin for growth.

• Advertisement

Haven't FR promised 5 - 10 new based aircraft at DUB this winter? I doubt they'll be gathering dust, which means revenue services.
    yes I read that Ryanair, would be basing between 5 up to 10 new aircraft in Dublin this winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

man98 wrote: »

If you are referring to the article a few weeks ago that is not happing but FR are up by 6 or 7% this winter.

I feel the numbers will be hitting 25m sooner than anticipated by the DAA and the airport won't have the infrastructure in place to handle it, not to mention if there is an increase in passengers year after year for the foreseeable future! It be best to construct what they have permission for at the moment and worry about extending it at a later date, if needed for larger aircraft!!

So 25 million passengers is hit, trigger is met, what happens next ?

Well planning is still not secured for modified runway, when planning is secured, it needs to be tendered, tender is won, construction starts after a period of planning by DAA and construction company and architects. Even after the runway is finished what happens ?

28L as it will be known will be closed for possibly two years for a full reconstruction.

So even after all this it could be 2021-2022+ before full parallel runway operations can commence !!! Another reason work should have been started in 2008-2009. Bloody CAR. Many years of delays and congestion ahead yet.

Well planning is still not secured for modified runway, when planning is secured, it needs to be tendered, tender is won, construction starts after a period of planning by DAA and construction company and architects. Even after the runway is finished what happens ?

28L as it will be known will be closed for possibly two years for a full reconstruction.

So even after all this it could be 2021-2022+ before full parallel runway operations can commence !!! Another reason work should have been started in 2008-2009. Bloody CAR. Many years of delays and congestion ahead yet.

They do have planning secured for a 3.1km runway which won't expire till 2017, they could break ground on that!
    I'm also sure the gig will go to Clare or bam or whom ever it is that's in there at the moment!
    Realistically they could be ready to fly from that side of the airport by late 2018/ early 2019 but sure by then the number would have peaked to 26-27m per 12 month period!

Ultimately they are slowing down their own expansion and profits. Or IAG could force the issue and get them to plan logically!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

Shame Dublin airport is in Ireland, this country has bad planning down to a fine art.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

I thought I read somewhere (could have been here) that IAG were on the DAA's case re piers at T2 and a second runway?

even if growth drops back down to 10% for the next few years, that means 36,500,000 pasengers! that means that by the end of 2019, you would be looking at that number! And they are now trying to fob north dublin off with a Luas airport connection, honestly, why bother paying these planners, they are on a fortune and it seems planning, is the last thing they are capable of!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

USCBP had it's bustiest day on Thursday with 4,626 passengers processed!

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/627789739094069248

That is a 97% load factor across all carriers based on a rough calculation. There was an additional UA departure due a tech aircraft on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Idbatterim wrote: »
    busiest month ever at Dublin airport this July 2.5 million pax have used it so far this month. If this price war breaks out between Aer Lingus and Ryanair, I reckon the number will definitely top 25,000,000...

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-07-30/Bank_Holiday_Weekend_Caps_Busiest_Month_Ever.aspx

It's looking very likely that Dublin Airport, based on current growth projections, will reach it's 35 million operating capacity by 2020. Therefore shouldn't DAA be looking at getting started on Runway 2 right now? And perhaps even begin planning for Terminal 3?

Advertisement