Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carpark tip-Insurance policy canceled

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for the information, ill keep everything I have and hopefully the guards find her and then I can do it with worrying I might not get money back etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rainblow

This is the MIBI agreement.
    You can seek arbitration if they do nothing. Make sure you follow procedures. They cannot insist that you claim from your own insurance. Have you got an insurance broker?

Rainblow wrote: »
    This is the MIBI agreement.
    You can seek arbitration if they do nothing. Make sure you follow procedures. They cannot insist that you claim from your own insurance. Have you got an insurance broker?

No, got my insurance over the phone direct the last two years.

jeffk wrote: »
    No, got my insurance over the phone direct the last two years.

Big mistake. Get yourself a broker.

Big mistake. Get yourself a broker.

I had one before(glennon I think) and they wouldn't take credit card over the phone and it worked out cheaper going direct.

• Advertisement

I had one before(glennon I think) and they wouldn't take credit card over the phone and it worked out cheaper going direct.

Cheaper? When you have a claim a broker is very useful. The few euro you might think you are saving by not going through a broker might be at the cost of a large sum in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cheaper? When you have a claim a broker is very useful. The few euro you might think you are saving by not going through a broker might be at the cost of a large sum in the event of a claim.

It can be more than a few Euro in fairness. Im in the process of renewing insurance at the moment and going direct is saving me over €200 compared to the cheapest quote that I have gotten from a broker.

Yeah 123 gave me a better price and I didnt have to go down and get a bank draft I think it was, then post that into the broker.

My insurance is up next month, so ill look into one this time around, I think I normally ring one(quoteme.ie)

djimi wrote: »
    It can be more than a few Euro in fairness. Im in the process of renewing insurance at the moment and going direct is saving me over €200 compared to the cheapest quote that I have gotten from a broker.

You may not be getting the same thing. Direct quotes tend to omit features from policies and as a result the insured may not be comparing like for like. The best thing to do is go back to the broker with the direct quotes and get him to justify the difference or reduce the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You may not be getting the same thing. Direct quotes tend to omit features from policies and as a result the insured may not be comparing like for like. The best thing to do is go back to the broker with the direct quotes and get him to justify the difference or reduce the price.

Im actually getting a better policy with the cheaper quote. Ive already gone back to the broker and Im waiting to see what they come back with, but Id be amazed if they can/will shave €200 off the initial price they gave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

You don't have to wait for your repairs to be carried out. It would be marked as a claim on your policy until confirmation is received from the guards (via an abstract report paid for by your insurer) that the third party is uninsured/untraceable. At that point, your insurance company's claims department should let underwriting know that said third party was fully liable and that your NCD should be reinstated to its position prior to the claim occurring.

The MIBI will cover your excess as long as their criteria are met - proof the vehicle isn't insured at all, confirmation from the guards, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Seems to me some bad abvise here, an excess is there to dicourage people from claiming for small tips, if you had a claim for thousands on a comprehensive policy you would go with it and live with paying the excess 300,in this case its not worth having a claim off your company and getting the mrbi to compensate your company ,...if you pay more for your policy you have the option of reducing the excess to 100, so for that small claim claiming off your insurance is a bad idea, mibi will not reimburse the excess

dharn wrote: »
    Seems to me some bad abvise here, an excess is there to dicourage people from claiming for small tips, if you had a claim for thousands on a comprehensive policy you would go with it and live with paying the excess 300,in this case its not worth having a claim off your company and getting the mrbi to compensate your company ,...if you pay more for your policy you have the option of reducing the excess to 100, so for that small claim claiming off your insurance is a bad idea, mibi will not reimburse the excess

This is only the case when you are fully or partially liable for a claim. In a case like this where the third party isn't insured and clearly at fault, the OP shouldn't end up out of pocket or with a claim on his record. MIBI will confirm that the vehicle has no cover and if not, the OP's excess will be paid back to him by them. Every motor insurer in the country pays money to the MIBI to cover cases where uninsured drivers are liable in claims involving those who do have a valid policy. For example, in the event the vehicle was covered by a policy (say the third party in this case was driving a car belonging to her father that she wasn't covered to drive but her father has a valid policy), the father's insurance company would act as the insurer concerned and would cover the OP's excess and uninsured losses. The OP's insurer would have to take the hit for the repairs etc. but as I mentioned above, their underwriting department would be informed of the circumstances of the incident and his NCD shouldn't be affected.

The OP's insurer could get their recoveries department to seek recovery of their outlay from the third party directly once the claim is settled but the success rate in cases like the OP's are remote. Failure to recover anything has no bearing on the settlement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Thanks for that, isuppose thedistinction is if the op is at fault as opposed to the other driver being at fault op should definitely keep going so

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry for confusion, her policy was cancelled, but the disc in the window was 02-14, also she has no nct or tax discs
    Get the Gardai to remove it off the road, as it's illegal to drive without tax, or without insurance, and probably also illegal without NCT. All three of them equals court time for the other person.

the_syco wrote: »
    Get the Gardai to remove it off the road, as it's illegal to drive without tax, or without insurance, and probably also illegal without NCT. All three of them equals court time for the other person.
    They cant find the driver and im assuming the car at the address is registered at.

Bouncing emails back and forth with MIBI to keep the case open and now how found out I have €300 of an excess on my insurance(123/rsa didn’t tell me that) before I need to go near MIBI.
    Regarding your excess; that excess only applies if you use your own insurance to pay for damage to your own car in a crash you caused.
    dharn wrote: »
    BTY all policies have an excess, so op should have known about the 300 not covered
    It varies. For my own policy, I pay for the first €300 of damage repair that I caused someone else, and the first €600 for damage repair to my own car. It sounds like the OP has €0 damage repair to someone else, and €300 damage repair to her own car.

FYI OP; having €300 excess ensures you pay yourself for any silly bumps and scratches that you cause, without it effecting your no-claims.
    They cant find the driver and im assuming the car at the address is registered at.
    Sorry, didn't read the entire thread :o
    Right got the quote €422.27, over five hours labor to respray the bumber.
    o.0 I'll PM you a garage number.

Regarding your excess; that excess only applies if you use your own insurance to pay for damage to your own car in a crash you caused.

Just have to clarify this - excesses are applicable regardless of who is at fault. In cases where the third party is clearly at fault, the handler you speak to at first notification should make it clear that you can try to claim through the third party's insurer or claim through your own comprehensive policy and they'll seek recovery once the final settlement has been made. Most people go for the latter option as it generally ensures your repairs and whatever else are looked after a lot quicker.

Obviously in a case like this where the third party is untraceable and/or uninsured, the handler should make the MIBI protocol crystal clear.

El cheapo fix (scuffed my old Honda Civic bumper against a low wall) is a can of spray from the local car parts place. Give them the year, make, and model of the car, and they'll give you the default paint in a spray-can. Cost me about €15 at the time. Spray it from 20 inches away when the area is clean and dry, wipe away the excess paint, and you won't really notice it. Machine car washes tend to take it off, though. At the very least, the scratch will be less noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

El cheapo fix (scuffed my old Honda Civic bumper against a low wall) is a can of spray from the local car parts place. Give them the year, make, and model of the car, and they'll give you the default paint in a spray-can. Cost me about €15 at the time. Spray it from 20 inches away when the area is clean and dry, wipe away the excess paint, and you won't really notice it. Machine car washes tend to take it off, though. At the very least, the scratch will be less noticeable.

by the sounds of it you been spraying with waterbased paint.they must be coated with laquer on top,or will be washed away with water.

• Advertisement

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    by the sounds of it you been spraying with waterbased paint.they must be coated with laquer on top,or will be washed away with water.
    Could be. More so the brushes I think, as washing by hand was fine.

/edit
    Car long gone, still have the spray. It was "Mipa Lack Spray".

Advertisement