Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carpark tip-Insurance policy canceled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Can't understand why you were told not to contact your own insurance.Its one of the first things I would do.The guard has to give her 10 days to produce proof of insurance just as they have given you 10 days to produce. I think we all know how that will work out although I hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't contact the other person.It's in the hands of the guards and the insurance company now so let them do what they get paid for but I wouldn't let it go.

Best of luck.

I know , when i mentioned my insurance or MIBI it was like i done something wrong contacting them .

It feels like im the bad guy , I get ten days to prove i have insurance . I told the guard the disc on the car was cancelled and I get a list of reasons why that might be ok . Then sure she will be in touch next week or the week after .

I have no name or contact details for the other driver , only for quick thinkin i took pictures and wrote down her policy number . Ill leave it to the MIBI and the guards now .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jeffk wrote: »
    I know , when i mentioned my insurance or MIBI it was like i done something wrong contacting them .

It feels like im the bad guy , I get ten days to prove i have insurance . I told the guard the disc on the car was cancelled and I get a list of reasons why that might be ok . Then sure she will be in touch next week or the week after .

I have no name or contact details for the other driver , only for quick thinkin i took pictures and wrote down her policy number . Ill leave it to the MIBI and the guards now .
    Don't take it personally, they have to check everything. Just be polite, do everything that's asked of you and don't go away. Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If that car is been driven with no insurance, its probably not even registered to her. You may have troublefinding her again.

An update

Bouncing emails back and forth with MIBI to keep the case open and now how found out I have €300 of an excess on my insurance(123/rsa didn’t tell me that) before I need to go near MIBI.

Insurance company are waiting on a letter or something from the Guards before they will let me get my work done. I have the name etc of a place to get a quote from for the work, but I am also waiting on the guards.

The guards don’t seem to care, I was given ten days to prove I had insurance, six weeks tomorrow and nothing about the drive with no valid insurance/tax/nct disc that hit my car.

I HAVE to deal with the guard that opened the incident report, the last I heard from her was don’t do anything ill be in touch next week or the week after, four weeks after that two weeks and nothing.
    Rang Thursday, told shes in at 7-5, go in at 9 and get a snotty reply that shes now in at 12-10.

If or likely when nothing happens with the guards today im going to look into the legal route. Sick of it all now, six weeks of bouncing between MIBI,123 and the guards, I feel like why bother for a scratch, but then remember how high my insurance was when I started driving(€3800 for a €2200 car)and its because of people like her.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

An update

Bouncing emails back and forth with MIBI to keep the case open and now how found out I have €300 of an excess on my insurance(123/rsa didn’t tell me that) before I need to go near MIBI.

Insurance company are waiting on a letter or something from the Guards before they will let me get my work done. I have the name etc of a place to get a quote from for the work, but I am also waiting on the guards.

The guards don’t seem to care, I was given ten days to prove I had insurance, six weeks tomorrow and nothing about the drive with no valid insurance/tax/nct disc that hit my car.

I HAVE to deal with the guard that opened the incident report, the last I heard from her was don’t do anything ill be in touch next week or the week after, four weeks after that two weeks and nothing.
    Rang Thursday, told shes in at 7-5, go in at 9 and get a snotty reply that shes now in at 12-10.

If or likely when nothing happens with the guards today im going to look into the legal route. Sick of it all now, six weeks of bouncing between MIBI,123 and the guards, I feel like why bother for a scratch, but then remember how high my insurance was when I started driving(€3800 for a €2200 car)and its because of people like her.

If MIBI are paying the claim why is there any excess? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If MIBI are paying the claim why is there any excess? :confused:

Dont you claim from your own insurance (with excess) then MIBI reimburse the money? Thats how I always thought that it worked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rainblow

I had a tip in a car park yesterday, I was parked and she was driving into the space to the side of me, I had the girlfriend in the car with me so she seen it.When I got out to talk to the girl, I was told she did not do it, I told her im ringing the guards and she said she didn’t care she was going in to get baby food.

I have reported it to the guards and rang her insurance company and gave them the policy number and reg plate and was told it was cancelled. I now have to wait for the guard to come back on duty and am looking at paying €20 for a letter to prove I am insured as I shredded the one that came with the disc.

I have pictures of the cars, her reg plate and insurance disc and am waiting on someone to call about a CCTV camera in the area.

What is the likely outcome of this? As I said I have to pay €20 for the letter/disc and then the scratch on the car (small, but out of principal want it fixed).

Thanks for any information
    You should complain to the MIBI.

I have been told I have €300 from the insurance without effecting my no claims, after that MIBI will cover a certain amount.

Both of them want something from the guards to say the car or driver wasn’t insured before I can get any work carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Did she come back and drive away in an uninsured untaxed car? With the guard there?

Did she come back and drive away in an uninsured untaxed car? With the guard there?

The car that hit me had a cancelled insurance disc and no nct or tax cert, the girl that drove it went into the shops, another girl came from a housing estate beside the shops and drove it off.

Guards never bothered coming up, waited over an hour an rang em three times , third time i was asked could i come down to the station as its likely we cant get a car up to you.

• Advertisement

Got through to guards, the address the car is registered she isn’t there, they have another address from the HSE but they still haven’t gotten a hold of her.

Found out I have to pay the first €300 of the damage and if/when its proven she is uninsured etc the MIBI then can get that cost back.

So basically six weeks later, wont bother paying for the damage myself, forget about it and if the guards ever ring so be it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Got through to guards, the address the car is registered she isn’t there, they have another address from the HSE but they still haven’t gotten a hold of her.

Found out I have to pay the first €300 of the damage and if/when its proven she is uninsured etc the MIBI then can get that cost back.

So basically six weeks later, wont bother paying for the damage myself, forget about it and if the guards ever ring so be it :mad:

stick at it - scum like her shouldn't be allowed get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

You will only wreck your head persuing it, she is a scumbag, on the social , getting income suppliment from hse, probably has a few sprogs which we are supporting as well ,best you could hope for is that the car is seized by the guard's but im afraid if they cant manage a letter to prove you were hit by an uninsured driver , then thats unlikely to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

BTY all policies have an excess, so op should have known about the 300 not covered

I would love to keep it going, but after six weeks look at all the guards have done its well out of my hands now. I have pictures of damage, reg plate and insurance disc and the insurance company said its cancelled and the MIBI said it sounds like she’s uninsured, but the guards wont say it and they are the ones that matter.

I have no clue on what excess is and never have, in nine years I used my insurance a handful of times, breakdown recovery and windscreen repair(back door window), this information wasn’t clear till someone mentioned it and I always had the don’t claim off your insurance and lose your no claims mentality.

I would love to keep it going, but after six weeks look at all the guards have done its well out of my hands now. I have pictures of damage, reg plate and insurance disc and the insurance company said its cancelled and the MIBI said it sounds like she’s uninsured, but the guards wont say it and they are the ones that matter.

I have no clue on what excess is and never have, in nine years I used my insurance a handful of times, breakdown recovery and windscreen repair(back door window), this information wasn’t clear till someone mentioned it and I always had the don’t claim off your insurance and lose your no claims mentality.

You should make a claim. The MiBI is obliged to pay out for untraced or uninsured drivers. You have the reg so she is untraced.

Rainblow wrote: »
    You should make a claim. The MiBI is obliged to pay out for untraced or uninsured drivers. You have the reg so she is untraced.

But do I not have to have a letter from the Guards?

But do I not have to have a letter from the Guards?

All the guards have to say is that the driver is untraced. They haven't found her to make a demand for insurance so that is all they have to say.

All the guards have to say is that the driver is untraced. They haven't found her to make a demand for insurance so that is all they have to say.

So I can get back onto the MIBI say I want my car fixed and they'll pay for it?

So I can get back onto the MIBI say I want my car fixed and they'll pay for it?

That is what they are there for. Look up the European Directives on Motor Insurance. dept of Transport website.

• Advertisement

That is what they are there for. Look up the European Directives on Motor Insurance. dept of Transport website.
    The last email I got off them was
    Dear Jeff
    Can you please confirm that you have claimed for your vehicle damage through
    your comprehensive policy and you just wish to claim for your policy excess
    from MIBI?

I cannot seem to get a definite answer that they pay it all , the wording is confusing.

The last email I got off them was
    Dear Jeff
    Can you please confirm that you have claimed for your vehicle damage through
    your comprehensive policy and you just wish to claim for your policy excess
    from MIBI?

I cannot seem to get a definite answer that they pay it all , the wording is confusing.

Tell them you want it all from the MIBI.

Tell them you want it all from the MIBI.
    Just off the phone to them , still very confused.

Seems if i get a quote and its under €300, i send them in that quote and theyll look into it and then get back in touch. :confused:

Just off the phone to them , still very confused.

Seems if i get a quote and its under €300, i send them in that quote and theyll look into it and then get back in touch. :confused:

You can't recover more that the cost of repairing your car. You have to prove the value of your loss.

Right got the quote €422.27, over five hours labor to respray the bumber.

Sent the quote to MIBI, told me to go to insurance.

Insurance will pay after €300, which is €122.27.

SO for me to fix my car after an uninsured driver with no nxt or tax certs hit my car , it will cost me €300(3/4 of my insurance for the year), ill live with the damage.

You will get the €300 back from MIBI though?

djimi wrote: »
    You will get the €300 back from MIBI though?

Your guess is as good as mine :confused:

"You will need to contact your Insurers and have them deal with the claim under the MIBVI protocol as initially instructed.

You can provide them with the copy of the quote"

No one from them has said pay the €300 and well get it back , even less likely as the guards cant find the driver.

It is my understanding that the way MIBI works is you claim for under your own insurance (and pay the excess), and when MIBI settle on their end they will reimburse all money paid out (ie you get your excess back and your insurer gets whatever they paid out).

The only problem may be what happens if they cant find the driver; that side of it I dont know. You need to talk to MIBI and ask them what happens in that case.

djimi wrote: »
    It is my understanding that the way MIBI works is you claim for under your own insurance (and pay the excess), and when MIBI settle on their end they will reimburse all money paid out (ie you get your excess back and your insurer gets whatever they paid out).

The only problem may be what happens if they cant find the driver; that side of it I dont know. You need to talk to MIBI and ask them what happens in that case.

If I pay out the €300 and wait in hope of the MIBI paying me back eventually and as someone said earlier in the thread they done this and where stuck with the same insurance company while it was ongoing.

If it was in black and white insurance and MIBI pay, the driver was found and the guards are sorting it, then id book it in. Its to much of a grey area for me :(

• Advertisement

If I pay out the €300 and wait in hope of the MIBI paying me back eventually and as someone said earlier in the thread they done this and where stuck with the same insurance company while it was ongoing.

If it was in black and white insurance and MIBI pay, the driver was found and the guards are sorting it, then id book it in. Its to much of a grey area for me :(

Why not wait until the Gardai have found the person then proceed? I think you have something like two years to make an insurance claim anyway, and you have more than enough of a papertrail of when it happened so that nobody can turn around and say you are coming out of the blue with the claim.

Advertisement