Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy into the "Golden Generation" ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we overstate the difficulty of replacing BOD. I should preface this by saying he is an utterly amazing individual and I am not suggesting he isn't...

HOWEVER... I do think that we could have a midfield partnership that is stronger than BOD and D'Arcy were. I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. I think we would have to get very lucky again, but I think it's possible. I think that is certainly the standard we should expect of ourselves anyway, rather than writing it off as a once-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think we overstate the difficulty of replacing BOD. I should preface this by saying he is an utterly amazing individual and I am not suggesting he isn't...

HOWEVER... I do think that we could have a midfield partnership that is stronger than BOD and D'Arcy were. I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. I think we would have to get very lucky again, but I think it's possible. I think that is certainly the standard we should expect of ourselves anyway, rather than writing it off as a once-off.

For me it's not so much about trying to replace BOD at 13, it's replacing his influence in the team. Someone else needs to take on his role as the go to man and as the talismanic figure in the Irish team. Trying to find another BOD at 13 is a hopeless task, a year before Ronaldo left Manchester United they saw the writing on the wall and bought Nani in the hope that he would replace Ronaldo, of course it was never going to happen, but instead they focused their strengths elsewhere in the team and have continued to win trophies.

Obviously it's a different sport but the same should happen with Ireland. There have always been talismanic figures in Irish rugby, before BOD there was Wood (a hooker) and before Wood there was Geoghghan (a winger) and so on. After BOD there will be someone else, it might be Cian Healy, it might be SOB, maybe Ferris will get fit again and it will be him, or maybe it will be Sexton. On the other hand perhaps it will be one of the young guns like Zebo, Madigan, Marshall, Henderson or Olding etc etc. Who knows but there will be someone and it doesn't have to be a 13.

As far as replacing BOD at 13 we have centres coming out of our ears and as you say there may not be another BOD but there may be a better pairing or at least a more appropriate pairing for the demands on rugby in the 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I have a feeling that talisman might be Sexton. Wouldn't make him captain at all as he seems very petulant on the field, but he plays in a crucial position, is just coming into his prime and is one of the only players we have who is genuinely one of the top 2 or 3 in the world in his position. He really stepped up against Argentina when the pressure was on and we were without BOD and POC, and I have a feeling he'll thrive when the onus is on him to be the big player.

Advertisement