Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew Mcguinness - Thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Threadhead wrote: »
    In most other European countries, these clowns would have been out on their arses years ago but the game being played right now is 'Wait for it to blow over' and that is exactly what's going to happen. It always does.

The sad reality is that the McGuinness' would be pounding the war drums if this was any other TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The sad reality is that the McGuinness' would be pounding the war drums if this was any other TD.

That's true. A brasser neck than Brian Brass of Brasscastle!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In most other European countries, these clowns would have been out on their arses years ago but the game being played right now is 'Wait for it to blow over' and that is exactly what's going to happen. It always does.

You think "odd" goings in don't happen in other countries?

You've only to look at Italy to see examples of somebody who took the piss and can still get elected.

Other EU countries are no different, I'd suggest removing those rose tinted glasses ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That's entirely valid, true, but my point was more to do with how we'll complain about it and do very little whereas in a lot of countries, they're a little more proactive about how they demonstrate. In this case, you can't imagine that people will be besieging the Town Hall demanding answers.

Although, Andrew is playing a free gig in Ryans this Saturday night. Wonder if he takes requests?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

That's entirely valid, true, but my point was more to do with how we'll complain about it and do very little whereas in a lot of countries, they're a little more proactive about how they demonstrate. In this case, you can't imagine that people will be besieging the Town Hall demanding answers.

Although, Andrew is playing a free gig in Ryans this Saturday night. Wonder if he takes requests?

Im sure his own personal newspaper the Kilkenny reporter, will request a few pictures but he'll probably turn them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 timmykgb

I'm not addressing the issue of the overtime.

Just in response to the ever popular cries of 'political dynasties'... don't we do the voting? Anyone can run for election... it doesn't really matter if the last three generations of the candidate has been elected before or if the candidate doesn't have any political family background, they are entitled to run and it's up to us to decide who is elected. I do think if it runs in the family you have more experience of it and may be better equipped to contend for election, but also it's not too unlike other families who may have a butcher shop or be an electrician, the off spring often follow in the footsteps of their parents... and it's harder for a candidate running for election because they have to earn their position through your votes, which of course is only right, you should not automatically become a cllr or TD just because your parent was, but at the other extreme you should not be put down because your parent is a politician if you want to run for election. I guess at the end of the day if people do have a reason, no matter how unreasonable, that someone running for election should not be elected just because his father before him was a politician... well then get off your arses and vote for someone else. Don't be cribbing afterwards.

Also, when it comes to employing from within the family when one is elected, I have no real problem with this for the most part, as it is usually members of your family that have been helping you all along down the years, for no pay, all times of the day and night. And who would you trust more than a member of your family who are available at any time and know the routine and work that needs to be done inside out. They are usually best suited for the job, if the position is there someone is going to get paid for it so why not the best suited candidate?

These are just my views. I'm not a politician, never been one, don't intend on being one, never been active in a party and have voted for different parties in the past. My constituency is in Kerry.

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

All very valid points Tim, the people get the government it deserves. But we don't live in feudal times anymore and hereditary jobs aren't expected elsewhere yet acceptable practice in public representation. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

catbear wrote: »
    All very valid points Tim, the people get the government it deserves. But we don't live in feudal times anymore and hereditary jobs aren't expected elsewhere yet acceptable practice in public representation. Why is that?

In fairness to Tim, I don't think he knows! I certainly don't, but nevertheless, that seems to be what we the people want; children 'inheriting' their parents' seats.

Advertisement