Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Nokia ever break the MS deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

As much as I love the Lumia range I would love to see Nokia's take on an Android device. I really like their design ethos at the mo and even their budget range seems to be far smarter approach when compared to rivals.

Would also have liked to have seen what Meego or even their Symbian Belle OS would have evolved into if they had kept working at it. I mean it had more features than Windows Phone has today..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Affirming Microsoft's lack of focus on Windows Phone software, Biniak added, "It's not just about the hardware, it's about the tools that are on the hardware. You can't sell a phone without the apps, you just can't."

"As a company we don't want to rely on somebody else and sit and wait for them to get it right."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2285336/nokia-blames-microsoft-for-poor-windows-phone-app-selection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

instead of posting select quotes from a story about a story, why not post the original story to get some context around what was said ?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/494885/20130726/nokia-microsoft-needs-evolve-windows-phone-succeed.htm

Also, have a look at tome of the other articles that author has written. He's hardly a paragon of journalistic objectivity when it comes to Microsoft.

OK, I'm giving up hopes to see a nokia hardware running firefoxOS / tizen / sailfishOS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OK, I'm giving up hopes to see a nokia hardware running firefoxOS / tizen / sailfishOS :mad:

I hope that never happens. Why go from an OS with low app count to a different OS with even less developer support?

WP8 has great potential, if it surges forward any little bit then it could be a contender in terms of apps. It's definitely a contender in terms of quality/speed/stability.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    I hope that never happens. Why go from an OS with low app count to a different OS with even less developer support?

WP8 has great potential, if it surges forward any little bit then it could be a contender in terms of apps. It's definitely a contender in terms of quality/speed/stability.

Because of the openness of the platform based on a standard that is slowly starting to rule the internet: html5. No vendor (like MS, google, apple, you name it) will be ever able to restrict access or change conditions of using "our app store" for developers or treat some hardware producers in a "different" way (google releasing source code to some vendors and delaying access for others). Anyway the firefoxos phones are already on the market and they are by far the cheapest smartphones available. Let's wait and see if nokia missed the boat again...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well the phones are certainly leaping forward so nokia are playing their part.

MS also seem to making plenty of work into W8 so why is W8 mobile falling behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Well the phones are certainly leaping forward so nokia are playing their part.

MS also seem to making plenty of work into W8 so why is W8 mobile falling behind?

Todays figures suggest its making great progress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Todays figures suggest its making great progress
    where did you find the figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

• Advertisement

OK, fair enough - we understand word "great" in two different ways. Percentage growth when they are close to zero can be quite big, but it still doesn't mean too much in hard numbers.

[OFF TOPIC] I just tested my first firefoxOS app - it was so easy that I was sure I missed something...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Well I would see it as positive news for windows phone, if they can keep the trend going they could be head to head with ios in time.

Symbian, Nokia, Microsoft and Apple downplay Android relevance

By Paul Miller posted Nov 5th, 2007 at 6:03 PM 0

Palm's not the only company that isn't afraid to speak out on the Open Handset Alliance. Nokia, Microsoft and Symbian made it most clear today that they don't perceive danger from the new initiative and corresponding Android OS, with Nokia stating it quite bluntly: "We don't see this as a threat." Microsoft was a bit more on the defensive. "It really sounds that they are getting a whole bunch of people together to build a phone and that's something we've been doing for five years," said Scott Horn, from Microsoft's Windows Mobile marketing team. "I don't understand the impact that they are going to have." The Symbian folks stated the obvious: "If Google was not involved the industry would have just yawned and rolled over," said John Forsyth of Symbian. "We take it seriously but we are the ones with real phones, real phone platforms and a wealth of volume built up over years." UIQ was a bit more optimistic about the OHA, saying that "Generally, it's positive for the industry." Apple wasn't as commital either way. "We have a great relationship with Google and this doesn't change anything," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris. "They are certainly an important partner for iPhone."

I just added BOLD to avoid TL;DR

So MS is in trying to make a mobile phone for over 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I presume that refers to attempts to push the previous Windows Mobile platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well you could get windows powered phones over 10years ago (O2 XDA's were around 2002/3). I've not seen a phone actually made by google yet. Nexus 4 is by LG, Nexus 7 tablet by Asus etc etc.

So what's your point? Or are you just blindly digging up articles from 6years ago thinking they are making your point when in fact they do nothing of the sort. Maybe you should read it properly or was it TL;DR?

Well, I guess todays headline finally answers this question and puts it to bed.

Have to say I am genuinely disappointed with the news;
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688888/there-will-never-be-another-nokia-smartphone

"FINNISH PHONE MAKER Nokia reportedly will release a low-cost Android smartphone next year, despite Microsoft's imminent takeover of the company. That's according to The Verge, which managed to get hold of more information about a leaked device called the "Nokia Normandy" that was spotted by @evleaks in November."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2318433/nokia-will-release-a-low-cost-android-phone-in-2014

I don't know what to think about it... but looks like the story is not over yet and we might see microsoft selling android phones (with linux kernel inside) soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well, I guess todays headline finally answers this question and puts it to bed.

Have to say I am genuinely disappointed with the news;
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688888/there-will-never-be-another-nokia-smartphone

I don't think it really makes much difference in the end - same thing happened when IBM sold its PC business to Lenovo. Same Thinkpads continued to be released, made, sold and supported by the same staff but with a different name on the case.

They're still one of the best laptops in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

"FINNISH PHONE MAKER Nokia reportedly will release a low-cost Android smartphone next year, despite Microsoft's imminent takeover of the company. That's according to The Verge, which managed to get hold of more information about a leaked device called the "Nokia Normandy" that was spotted by @evleaks in November."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2318433/nokia-will-release-a-low-cost-android-phone-in-2014

I don't know what to think about it... but looks like the story is not over yet and we might see microsoft selling android phones (with linux kernel inside) soon.

The Verge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not going to happen, at least not the one being reported about.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    The Verge.

Personally, I wouldn't mind trying a nokia android phone, shame that it will be a mid range....but surely this must be nokias way around the terms of the agreement with MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Their biggest problem in the US market is simple availability. WP is not available on Sprint, a major carrier, and AT&T is the only carrier with good selection or things like the Lumia 1020. I probably wouldn't have upgraded to a 5S if a Lumia was available for me.

Similarly they started doing some good windows device advertisement in the last six weeks or so but even though there's a commercial dedicated to the Lumia tablet, this isn't exactly widely available. Electronics retailers aren't exactly carrying it. You can buy it on contract in a carrier store or two, but that's it. The windows tablet market is still dominated by Surface Pretty much, aside from a couple emergent devices like the ASUS T100. RT is rumored to be getting phased out now that intel finally has the thumb out of their ass so frankly that means a more promising future for the windows tablet, a tablet you can actually run software on, not just apps.

Well I can't speak for the American market but in my experience of the Irish market and Krish retailers, windows is what is holding back nokias sales, simply because there is comparitively little widespread familiarity witn WP8.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think you could fix a lot of that with correct marketing, and they just haven't done it. The product placement is poor and in most cases there is nowhere to play with a live mock. The fact that the best models are tied to one carrier and the other carriers have no WP or have 2nd rate WPs doesnt help either. Same thing I hear happened at the dawn of the iPhone, AT&T had an exclusive on it for the first 2 years. What kind of **** is that? Might have helped sell AT&T Contracts, but this isn't the iPhone. Set that mother free.

Well, all that said, I see the 520 being pushed in a big way, and have to admit I am seeing more and more of them being used about the place.

I wonder what the feedback is like.

The final chapter of story about Nokia on the phone market:

"Microsoft started dropping hints about its plans to kill off the Nokia and Windows Phone brands last month, and now the company is ready to make it official. Microsoft Lumia is the new brand name that takes the place of Nokia for the software maker. The name change follows a slow transition from Nokia.com over to Microsoft's new mobile site, and Nokia France will be the first of many countries that adopt "Microsoft Lumia" for its Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts. Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that other countries will follow the rebranding steps in the coming weeks."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/21/7026427/microsoft-lumia-nokia-brand-replacement

Embrace, extend, and extinguish...

The final chapter of story about Nokia on the phone market:

"Microsoft started dropping hints about its plans to kill off the Nokia and Windows Phone brands last month, and now the company is ready to make it official. Microsoft Lumia is the new brand name that takes the place of Nokia for the software maker. The name change follows a slow transition from Nokia.com over to Microsoft's new mobile site, and Nokia France will be the first of many countries that adopt "Microsoft Lumia" for its Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts. Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that other countries will follow the rebranding steps in the coming weeks."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/21/7026427/microsoft-lumia-nokia-brand-replacement

Embrace, extend, and extinguish...

Sure e ask saw that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

RIP Nokia

970459_1417556471793921_1660469491_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »

Surely it's easy to return to profit after selling off the section of your company that was making a loss.

Advertisement