Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Bord Gais U21Hurling Championship.

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is their a wind there or had the antrim keeper a ****e puck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

As a neutral, I found it an enjoyable, if somewhat frustrating contest. fair play to Kerry for sticking in there and snatching a win. They were the better team throughout.
    That was Kerry's first game of the year and now they are All Ireland B Champions,next year the GAA need to re vamp this competition so all teams get games.

Hold on...how in gods name did that happen!?

On the main game, As a Banner man, I love to see us winning but I feel pretty bat for Antrim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is their a wind there or had the antrim keeper a ****e puck out.

Not getting much distance on them anyway. Don't think there's much wind either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just on the game being Kerry's first:

Tyrone gave a walkover in the Semi-Final.

I'd imagine to avoid a pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In fairness to Antrim, Clare won every match this year quite comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Its a very good Clare team alright, the best I have ever seen at this level.

But there is something wrong with the U21 competition if a team so obviously out of depth as Antrim can get to a final. This can be a great competition but games like this and the tipp galway final a few years ago do it no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

An utter farce.

10 seconds into the 2nd half and Clare score again.

And 30seconds more and they score again.

2-18 to 0-04

About time they took lads off to save them for the seniors, and give other lads who have trained all year a decent run.

Tony Kelly and McInerney off.

EDIT: Subbed off not sent off :P

i expect they'll do that ok

• Advertisement

What a save from the Clare keeper.

Great chance for Clarke, but a full length save.

Colm Galvin and Podge Collins off.

Collins is just a majestic hurler to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why isnt the tg4 player working for the 2nd half or is it just me

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why isnt the tg4 player working for the 2nd half or is it just me
    Working for me.

www.aertv.ie if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Same here tg4 not working since halftime. That other link not working either. I'm not in Ireland. Fek I was loving that first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Antrim outplayed, outfought and outclassed Wexford.

They only won by a point or 2- the scoreline completely flattered Wexford, Antrim could've won by ten

They're here on merit just meeting a top class team who have about 14 senior panellists

Tipperary obliterated Galway three years ago remember, so this isn't a unique occurence

Auldloon wrote: »
    Same here tg4 not working since halftime. That other link not working either. I'm not in Ireland. Fek I was loving that first half.

In case you didn't know Clare won ;)

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Antrim outplayed, outfought and outclassed Wexford.

They only won by a point or 2- the scoreline completely flattered Wexford, Antrim could've won by ten

They're here on merit just meeting a top class team who have about 14 senior panellists

Tipperary obliterated Galway three years ago remember, so this isn't a unique occurence

Would you say that antrim are in the top 5 teams at this level? I don't think many on here who watch hurling would believe that.

The wexford result was a freak. They are nowhere near the level required which is no surprise as they are not resourced like some of the more successful counties. It is not good for the competition for teams this weak to be getting to the final.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Would you say that antrim are in the top 5 teams at this level? I don't think many on here who watch hurling would believe that.

The wexford result was a freak. They are nowhere near the level required which is no surprise as they are not resourced like some of the more successful counties. It is not good for the competition for teams this weak to be getting to the final.

Did you say the same when Tipp humiliated Galway three years ago?

It's just an exceptional Clare team. They hammered Tipp who convincingly beat Cork and Limerick.

They beat Galway comfortably too barely getting out of second gear. Of course I don't like watching such one-sided finals, but Clare would have annihilated Wexford too

Antrim were full value for their win over Wexford.

Carlow beat Dublin, Laois made a Leinter final last year. It can be a strange age group. Whether they're top 5 at this grade is irrelevant, it's very much down to the day and on the day they outclassed Wexford

There'll be 3 all stars in that Clare side and 14 senior panelists doing intensive training since about Oct/Nov. Gulf was always going to show, as I say they'd have annihilated Wexford too from what I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

First of all, well done to Clare - it was always the outcome. Secondly, Antrim got there on merit - they stole nothing from Wexford, put a cork in it.

What the final and the build up to the semi-final showed was the complete lack of investment made by the county board in the team. Maybe this game came a few years too early in terms of development, but I just hope this result does not set the county back 10-20 years.

First touch let them down in the first half - as well as playing so few games at this level/pace. We got some lovely points in the first half, but this was the result I expected and feared - it was always going to be a Clare win in a fair world and without doubt they had the better, more skilfull hurlers.

• Advertisement

Did you say the same when Tipp humiliated Galway three years ago?

I said exactly that earlier in a post. The competition throws up way too many one sided games at the latter stages. Today does antrim more harm than good. There is nothing for them to build upon from this.

Antrim did deservedly beat wexford in the semi. But it is my contention that it was a freak result. Pretty much getting a bye in to the semifinal (there is not much else in ulster at this level) every year is not doing Antrim hurling at this level any favours, and that will not do them any good at senior level either. I would move galway and antrim into leinster like the seniors. If they get to the semi final then it is on merit.

One could be politically correct about it and try to ignore the fact that the final was a farce but I think it would be wrong to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If you throw Antrim into Leinster U-21, then whoever wins future Ulster U-21's will just take their place.

There have been some very one-sided senior finals too over the last decade or so.

Turned out Kilkenny were just very very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Only team to really test Clare were Waterford in their 1st outing. Took a sending off for Waterford and a Seadna Morey goal in the last 15-20 mins to give Clare a bit of comfort. Up till then the game was touch and go, esp as Clare lost Tony Kelly to an eye injury in the 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

CLARE DOMINATE UNDER-21 HURLING AWARD NOMINATIONS

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 01, 2013

Back-to-back All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling champions Clare lead the way with 14 nominations for the inaugural Bord Gáis Energy Team of the Year Award ceremony which will be televised live on TG4 on Saturday week (October 12) at 8.30pm.

Gerry O'Connor and Donal Maloney's talented Clare panel have also provided the most nominees for the Player of the Year award with senior stars David McInerney, Colm Galvin and Podge Collins all in the running for the coveted honour.

Notably, Antrim's achievement in reaching a first ever All-Ireland U-21 final is recognised with a total of five Team of the Year nominations - Tiernan Coyle, Jackson McGreevey, Eoghan Campbell, Ciaran Clarke and Stephen McAfee.

An excellent year for the ever-improving Saffrons included a dominant provincial campaign followed by that famous victory over Wexford in the All-Ireland semi-final.

The hour-long broadcast on TG4 will look back over the 2013 Bord Gáis Energy U-21 Hurling Championship with contributions from current and former U-21 players and managers in addition to contributions from the judging panel themselves.

In addition to the Team of the Year announcement, the Bord Gáis Energy Player of the Year award will be presented in both the 'A' and 'B' Championships. This is the first year that a 'B' award has been presented.

Finally, fans of the Championships will be able to have their say with a Bord Gáis Energy Score of the Year award which will be voted for by fans on social media in the week leading up to the programme.

A selection of the ten best 'Score of the Game' clips from each of the televised matches (including the All-Ireland U-21 Hurling 'B' final) are available to view on the Breakingthrough Youtube channel.

Fans are asked to vote for their favourite score via Bord Gais Energy's U-21 Hurling Facebook, Twitter or Instragram pages. Voting will close at midnight on Friday week (October 11).

Beaten provincial finalists Kilkenny and Tipperary have both received six nominations for the Team of the Year, including Bord Gáis Energy ambassador Jason Forde. The Tipp forward finished the campaign with an impressive total of 5-23, and he is also shortlisted for the Player of the Year honour.

Speaking at the announcement of the shortlist, Ger Cunningham, sports ambassador at Bord Gáis Energy, said: "It's a fantastic way to finish up what has been a Championship full of excitement, passion and hurling of the highest quality.

"To narrow the list down to 45 players was a mammoth task and we now have to finalise the final fifteen which is not going to an easy task.

"It will no doubt be a wonderful night for all involved and Bord Gáis Energy is delighted to be involved in recognising the best young hurlers in 2013."

Clare were undoubtedly the form team in 2013 and this has been highlighted in the shortlist which includes team captain and Bord Gáis Energy ambassador Paul Flanagan as well as All-Ireland final man-of-the-match David O'Halloran.

Leinster champions Wexford have received five nominations, following their first provincial title in 11 years. Their talismanic skipper Lee Chin is one of the six nominees for Player of the Year.

Offaly and Waterford, who ran Kilkenny and Clare close in their respective outings, have earned three nominations each while Galway, Limerick and Carlow have all been rewarded with one nomination apiece.

The full judging panel for the awards include Bord Gáis Energy sports ambassadors Ger Cunningham and Joe Canning, in addition to TG4's Mícheál Ó Domhnaill and former Waterford star Ken McGrath.

Bord Gáis Energy Team of the Year Shortlist:

1. Aaron Duggan (Kilkenny), Daragh Mooney (Tipperary), Ronan Taaffe (Clare)
    2. Paul Flanagan (Clare), Cathal Barrett (Tipperary), Tiernan Coyle (Antrim)
    3. Dan Kelleher (Offaly), Willie Phelan (Kilkenny), David McInerney (Clare)
    4. Brian Kennedy (Kilkenny), Jack Browne (Clare), Mark Carmody (Limerick)
    5. Seadna Morey (Clare), Andrew Kenny (Wexford), Joe O'Dwyer (Tipperary)
    6. Shane O'Gorman (Wexford), Alan O'Neill (Clare), Pat Camon (Offaly)
    7. Stephen O'Halloran (Clare), Ray Barry (Waterford), Diarmuid Byrne (Carlow)
    8. Colm Galvin (Clare), Jackson McGreevy (Antrim), Stephen Roche (Waterford)
    9. Lee Chin (Wexford), Tony Kelly (Clare), Eoghan Campbell (Antrim)
    10. Jack Guiney (Wexford), Peter Duggan (Clare), Jason Forde (Tipperary)
    11. Podge Collins (Clare), Ian Byrne (Wexford), John Power (Kilkenny)
    12. Niall O'Meara (Tipperary), Jake Dillon (Waterford), Stephen McAfee (Antrim)
    13. Stephen Quirke (Offaly), Cathal O'Connell (Clare), Ger Alyward (Kilkenny)
    14. Kevin Kelly (Kilkenny), Bill Walsh (Tipperary), Conor Cooney (Galway)
    15. David O'Halloran (Clare), Ciaran Clarke (Antrim), Shane O'Donnell (Clare)

Bord Gáis Energy Player of the Year Shortlist:

David McInerney (Clare)
    Jason Forde (Tipperary)
    Podge Collins (Clare)
    Kevin Kelly (Kilkenny)
    Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Lee Chin (Wexford)

Bord Gáis Energy Score of the Year Shortlist:

Antrim v Clare (All-Ireland final): Score of the Game: Tony Kelly
    Kerry v Kildare (All-Ireland 'B' final): Score of the Game: Pádraig Boyle
    Galway v Clare (All-Ireland semi-final): Score of the Game: Cathal O'Connell
    Wexford v Antrim (All Ireland semi-final): Score of the Game: Ciaran Clarke
    Tipperary v Clare (Munster final): Score of the Game: Peter Duggan
    Waterford v Clare (Munster semi-final): Score of the Game: Peter Duggan
    Tipperary v Cork (Munster semi-final): Score of the Game: John McGrath
    Wexford v Kilkenny (Leinster final): Score of the Game: Gary Moore
    Kilkenny v Offaly (Leinster semi-final): Score of the Game: Michael Brennan
    Tipperary vs Limerick (Munster quarter-final): Score of the Game: Shane Kenny

How the hell is Conor Cooney nominated?

From Galway, they should probably have zero but if they had to get one it should be Tuohy at midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

How the hell is Conor Cooney nominated?

From Galway, they should probably have zero but if they had to get one it should be Tuohy at midfield

Asked the same about Daragh Mooney and Cathal Barett from Tipp - can't for the lfe of me understand how they could justify eithers inclusion and Seamus Kennedy and Justin Cahill were far more deserving if it was a filling numbers game.

Asked the same about Daragh Mooney and Cathal Barett from Tipp - can't for the lfe of me understand how they could justify eithers inclusion and Seamus Kennedy and Justin Cahill were far more deserving if it was a filling numbers game.

I assume it's just because Cooney is the best known player on the team. He's really had a poor year in the maroon, although he's like a man possessed at club level.

He was anonymous in the only champ game v Clare, if he gets nominated then everyone else should :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Mostly clare ,but id say carmody,jason forde,niall o meara and bill walsh will get awards and deserve one too,particulary o meara.

He has been outstanding any time i c him,either with the hurling or football,and was gd with interemediates also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement