Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night I experienced the most frightening thing in my whole life.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

indy_man wrote: »
    Next time this happens say three Hail Mary's, and then get up and bless your room and bed with Holy Water. That should take care of it. At least if you are scared it will help you feel safer, eventhough I agree with most others here this is most likely just sleep paralysis. But you never know so also consider the prayer to St Michael the Archangel.

Saint Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
    by the Divine Power of God -
    cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
    who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
    Amen.

Waking up from a demonic experience during sleep paralysis can be horrifying and believe it or not these prayers help.

thats more scary than the "dream". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭indy_man

thats more scary than the "dream". :D

You think thats scarym red what this poor lady is going through.

http://www.spiritdaily.com/sleepparalysis3.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 captainzero

with sleep paralysis and hallucination most people have similar experiences, because were conditioned to fear much the same things -demons, dark shadows, being attacked while asleep, ghosts, savage animals, being sexually molested etc. i have suffered from these all my life since late teens due to a sleep related condition. hallucinations can be visual, auditory or tactile. it helps if i avoid stimulants late in the evening coffee tea (i use decaf) minerals chocolate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Next time this happens say three Hail Mary's, and then get up and bless your room and bed with Holy Water. That should take care of it. At least if you are scared it will help you feel safer, eventhough I agree with most others here this is most likely just sleep paralysis. But you never know so also consider the prayer to St Michael the Archangel.

defend us in battle.
    Amen.

Waking up from a demonic experience during sleep paralysis can be horrifying and believe it or not these prayers help.

Oh dear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brick1

read the book by stanislav grof-discovering self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,277 ✭✭✭✭endacl

defend us in battle.
    Amen.

Isn't that your anti-ouija board prayer? It works for this too? Is it any use against zombies? I'm feckin' plagued here with the walking dead. All hours of the day and night, FFS....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It is so frightening when it happens. It used to happen to me a lot - exact same as the OP. Thankfully it hasn't happened in quite a while.......probably because I'm on anti-depressants and sleeping tablets (not because of the sleep paralysis lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

This brought back some memories an made the hair stand in my neck. Wen I had these, they were the scariest thing imaginable. I don't think the shadow ever touched me as described by the op but it would come closer, sit on the side of my bed and then it would start to surround me like a dark cloud, an that's when the real panic kicked in. I would often wake curled up in the corner clutching my knees into my chest and having the most horrible cold sweat and shaking.i had it all through my teens and early twenties, I'd ne'er heard of sleep paralysis before and there was no Internet, both my parents had died before I was in my teens and I used to always associate it as a paranormal experience somehow related to them!!!!

I never want to have one of these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rockygsd123

H you're completely normal this thing happened to my mum twice this year :D It's supposed to be really scary so I hope you're feeling OK now...I'm sure it does have a scientific explanation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I've had these sleep episodes for decades - some frightened the be jaypers out of me but I've learned in recent years to go with them. Like the op unable to breath some one else in my space squashing me - being flipped into.the air and that rushing sound in my ears! Once a grim reaper type character rose up at the foot of the bed. But it's sleep paraylisis often brought on by being over tired to start with. Other family members suffer it too. Also I have a problem with anasthetic and often woke under sedation and as a child I was gassed for tooth removal often wonder if it stems back to that - frightening but not paranormal. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Pretzill wrote: »
    Also I have a problem with anasthetic and often woke under sedation and as a child I was gassed for tooth removal often wonder if it stems back to that - frightening but not paranormal. IMHO.

I had similar childhood experiences at the dentist, absolutely horrible. The "Gas Man" would be at the dentist on one particular day a week.

If you had an appointment on the day the "Gas Man" was there, you knew you were getting a tooth pulled or a few deep fillings.

He would be there with his big grey tank of anesthetic gas and a smelly black rubber mask which was placed over your mouth and nose from behind as you sat on the dentists chair.

I can remember one time in particular, the room spinning, triple vision of the dentists light blinding me, a voice saying "We'll get him now" with a swirling metallic Dr Who-type noise deafening me. It was like a horror movie.

I'm guessing that they didn't want to give too much anesthetic as that could have been dangerous, especially to a child, so they probably gave as little as they could to get the job done (?).

I hope those days are long gone. But I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

http://www.spiritdaily.com/nightterrors3.htm
    It is an "in-between" time, and for that reason, as we have also pointed out, it's important to "seal" our sleep with prayer and Scripture before slumber (and then seal our day with prayer upon rising).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

an advert selling a book? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Erm, no, it's not! If you ever had these type of dreams you would know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

I've had an experience on 2 occasions now of waking up either in the night or very early morning , and being absolutely terrified or worried about something that I can't pinpoint in my mind . Infact the fear or worry just takes over my mind and once I had to get up and run to the kitchen and drink water and make coffee just to rid my mind of it . It's like something was trying to take over my mind . It's the strangest feeling ever . And once I felt it randomly coming on or beginning to come on during the middle of the day . It dosent go as far as having a panic attack as it subsides fairly quickly after it happens but it certainly is a scary experience . I work alot of nights and only get 5 hours sleep a night most nights so I have put it down to a lack of sleep or over tiredness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I've suffered from sleep paralyses most of my adult life always end up with a head ache afters known a few others that have suffered too from them, its pretty scary but it has a scientific explanation to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

It's the devil trying to get you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

It's the devil trying to get you

He's hasn't been very successful considering how powerful he's supposed to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Gearhead1395

I think the hallucinations are to do with the brain and its state of awareness. Part of it is still in a state of sleep, meaning whatever goes through it when you are K.O.'d is still going through it-and we think of pretty messed-up things when dozing off. In combination with awareness of your surroundings, the brain can't distinguish between reality and fantasy, and so has hallucinations such as what you had.

I used to get these all the time, my most recent one being one of actual Slenderman-which makes sense, considering I had been reading up on the lore so it was probably still in my head. Weird, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Plus fear & a sense of vulnerability is the first thing the sub-conscious would feel once you know you can't move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

i had an experience as a child in the new forest in england on a caravaning holiday. thing is everyone else experienced it. me and my younger brother, my mother and father and aunty and an uncle. it's very hard to explain but the caravan was rocking violently from side to side and there was a dark shadow inside the caravan moving about violently and very quickly. i dont know how long it lasted but i would estimate around a minute or so. my father talked to a priest about it who guessed we may have been camping in a bad area as the new forest was a place of hanging and murders centuries back. he had the caravan burned and we took package trips to spain from then on. i do remember that dark shadow though and always will.

i had an experience as a child in the new forest in england on a caravaning holiday. thing is everyone else experienced it. me and my younger brother, my mother and father and aunty and an uncle. it's very hard to explain but the caravan was rocking violently from side to side and there was a dark shadow inside the caravan moving about violently and very quickly. i dont know how long it lasted but i would estimate around a minute or so. my father talked to a priest about it who guessed we may have been camping in a bad area as the new forest was a place of hanging and murders centuries back. he had the caravan burned and we took package trips to spain from then on. i do remember that dark shadow though and always will.

New Forest, England is a renound location for Occult, Witchcraft, wicca, covens etc it is a portal for Evil and not suprising this happened. As I said earlier bless yourself with Holy water and pray before sleeping then see what happens.

Not all sleep paralysis is related to demons there can be other reasons but evil spirits can manifest in many ways also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I have never had that happen to me but I have had several nightmares where I wake up and there's something horrible happening to a family member and I try to scream for help but have no voice. It's was just a dream but it felt so very real.....the feeling of witnessing something but being able to do nothing about it is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Occult, Witchcraft, wicca, covens etc are evil these days? When did that happen?

New Forest, England is a renound location for Occult, Witchcraft, wicca, covens etc it is a portal for Evil and not suprising this happened. As I said earlier bless yourself with Holy water and pray before sleeping then see what happens.

Not all sleep paralysis is related to demons there can be other reasons but evil spirits can manifest in many ways also.

As I said earlier bless yourself with Holy water and pray before sleeping then see what happens.

Pray to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pray to who?
    Holy water and hail Marys. Clearly, he's telling the OP to pray to Vishnu :P

Really though, sleep paralysis and hallucinations, it's rare but not unheard of.

Holy water and hail Marys. Clearly, he's telling the OP to pray to Vishnu :P

So would it not work if the op prayed to Vishnu? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Been getting sleep paralysis on and off for a few years now but about a month ago it happened again and I had an out of body experience during it. It started off with the usual feeling of waking up not being able to move or call out, the evil presence in the room, the sense of being held down, which has all happened before but this time I felt myself actually floating out of my body and looking down at myself. I can't say how long it lasted but it felt like quite a while. When I woke up I was fairly freaked. Definitely the most intense experience I've ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I remember once waking up with pins and needles on both my legs, so I couldn't move my legs or walk for like a good 30minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I remember once waking up with pins and needles on both my legs, so I couldn't move my legs or walk for like a good 30minutes.

I had that happen to me on the train yesterday. I had fallen asleep and when I awoke, one of my legs was numb. I literally could not stand for 10 mins, it took that long for the blood to return to my leg.

Nothing paranormal about it whatsoever.

Advertisement