Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you witnessed someone lose their religiion

Options
  • 10-05-2013 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Happened someone close to me. They were devout until one day recently enough they said feck it, and while staying religious has kinda just given up on Catholicism.

Have many other witnessed this? The church did kinda bring it upon themselves. The clowns.

I'm protecting the children from abortion, but no priests nonsense.

Additionally, can anyone see total Church and state separation? I think its going that way - since Enda in 2011 its definitely made progess. But I mean to the point where something like Brady stands up and someone says sit down and shut it.

Comments

Just Micky Stipe. He told me that someone threw him in a corner and shed a spotlight on him which fried his faith. I think it was meant to be a secret as he told me he said too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

had a priest in school who thought RE(obv) and after 30 years of being a priest, left the order, got married and had 2 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Smidge wrote: »
    had a priest in school who thought RE(obv) and after 30 years of being a priest, left the order, got married and had 2 children.
    That's more quitting the job than losing the religion surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

There was that one time where it obviously fell behind the couch. I should have said something but they were probably better off losing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I thought that I heard you laughing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

When Dylan dumped Brenda (again)

endacl wrote: »
    That's more quitting the job than losing the religion surely?

LOL
    I don't think its really a "Job" to them.
    I think vocation is more the word.
    And to leave after 30 years to marry a woman, I'd class that as giving up your faith I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

That's funny, I thought I heard him sing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Smidge wrote: »
    LOL

And to leave after 30 years to marry a woman, I'd class that as giving up your faith I guess

Or being desperate to get some poon.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Or being desperate to get some poon.

That is the other possibility:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My grandad lost his faith shortly before he died. He'd previously watched his wife die slowly and for the whole time that she was dying she cried out for the aunt who'd raised her. Although she was surrounded by family, he felt that no one had "come for her" to give her succour and bring her to heaven and that she had died alone and went nowhere but into oblivion. He was quite distressed at having wasted so much of his life believing in what he now thought of as mumbo jumbo designed to oppress people. He didn't have time to come to terms with his new found atheism before he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah I seen my best mate lose his, around the back of a kids disco, she was a bit of a whale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

My grandad lost his faith shortly before he died. He'd previously watched his wife die slowly and for the whole time that she was dying she cired out for the aunt who'd raised her. Although she was surrounded by family, he felt that no one had "come for her" to give her succour and bring her to heaven and that she had died alone and went nowhere but into oblivion. He was quite distressed at having wasted so much of his life believing in what he now thought of as mumbo jumbo designed to oppress people. He didn't have time to come to terms with his new found atheism before he died.

I have something in my eye :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Indeed I have... pleased to meet you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

My grandad lost his faith shortly before he died. He'd previously watched his wife die slowly and for the whole time that she was dying she cired out for the aunt who'd raised her. Although she was surrounded by family, he felt that no one had "come for her" to give her succour and bring her to heaven and that she had died alone and went nowhere but into oblivion. He was quite distressed at having wasted so much of his life believing in what he now thought of as mumbo jumbo designed to oppress people. He didn't have time to come to terms with his new found atheism before he died.

No offense but I couldn't thank that...some wrong about thanking something so sad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No because I might talk everyday to people about a lot of things but religion ain't one of them.

I couldn't care what religion someone has or if they have none, it seems to be a bit of an obsession for both sides on here though, one crowd want to convert everyone and the other lot make fun of peoples beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

My mum when the priest gave some dodgy speech about 'letting go of the past' just after those recent abuse scandals and after watching some priest on a Vincent Browne interview (I can't remember who was on it).

She'd usually drag us along at least every saturday night but hasn't after that. She's only set foot in a church after that when her dad died and at Christmas.

It's kind of sad because she sometimes asks me about my opinion on the after life as if I'm going to re-assure her there is one, even though I stopped caring about mass and believing before she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

El Spearo wrote: »
    No offense but I couldn't thank that...some wrong about thanking something so sad.:(

No worries, I feel bad myself for depressing everyone now instead of just quoting REM lyrics.

Let's forget about it and be shiny happy people. Wanna hold hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

A family member was in mass years ago and the priest was giving his usual sermon about people less well off and how people are homeless and struggling to pay bills. My family member thought about how the priest had a big house all to himself, flashy new car every year, holidays and no real responsibilities. My family member will only set foot inside a church if it's absolutely necessary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It happened to myself. I was never massively religious, but I did find a lot of comfort from it up until last February.

When my uncle (who, as I've posted before, is in his 40s, has two youngs kids, has never smoked, done drugs, drank excessively) was diagnosed with terminal cancer I just thought 'fúck this'. My mom's gone a bit more the other way, looking for hope wherever she can, but she understands my feelings, which I'm pleased about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I was kinda religious for most of my teens (saying 20ish prayers a day but never going to church or any of that craic) but after a series of personal setbacks deaths that kinda thing I just gave up. I still wouldn't classify myself as an atheist instead I would call myself more ambivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

I was religious up until i hit 12 and really looked thoughtfully at religion and just realised i don't believe in such things, to this day i haven't told my christian family my beliefs due to their view of atheists in general.

However witnessing family members lose their religion isn't something i've seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I was at an REM concert once. Got in a picture too. That's me in the corner

http://remhq.com/cms_files/images/cms_image_25086.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is this another Alex Ferguson retirement thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

rem

Oh
    Life is bigger
    It's bigger than you
    And you are not me
    The lengths that I will go to,
    The distance in your eyes
    Oh, no I've said too much
    I set it up

That's me in the corner
    That's me in the spotlight
    Losing my religion
    Trying to keep up with you
    And I don't know if I can do it
    I haven't said enough
    I thought that I heard you sing
    I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper,
    Every waking hour I'm
    Choosing my confessions
    Trying to keep an eye on you
    Like a hurt, lost and blinded fool, fool
    I set it up

Consider this
    Consider this
    The hint of the century
    Consider this
    The slip that brought me
    To my knees, failed
    What if all these fantasies
    Come flailing around
    Now I've said too much

But that was just a dream
    That was just a dream

That's me in the corner
    That's me in the spotlight
    Losing my religion
    Trying to keep up with you
    And I don't know if I can do it
    I haven't said enough

But that was just a dream
    Try, cry, why try
    That was just a dream, just a dream, just a dream, dream

dartup wrote: »
    rem

Oh
    Life ............

Damn you. Had an REM joke waiting to go.......

Also

Answer OP: No

*Obligatory "this is another anti religion thread, inferring that atheism is the only norm & everyone needs to get on that wagon" yada yada*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

El Spearo wrote: »
    The church did kinda bring it upon themselves. The clowns. The child rapists.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I used to be religious.

On an Italian holiday I went to the Vatican.

With its opulent riches and wealth built up over centuries, centuries during which they persecuted non Catholics and abused and exploited Catholics with their demands of contributions and using embarrassment and shame as a weapon I left there firmly convinced that it was not a religion for me.

Having seen other religions holy buildings I think they are the same - money building power building cults.

I used to believe in God but not any more. I believe in science now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Have you checked down the back of the sofa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

One of the turning points for me was when a priest came to class and gave a talk. We all knew he was airy-fairy, but when he went on about how god created the universe and all living things, I suddenly realised that this wasn't a figure of speech and that he actually wanted us to believe this. Just when some guy who was supposed to have an air of authority was talking absolute nonsense and being serious about it, I just thought "ah now, c'mon..."

Advertisement