Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann strike - services have resumed (Read first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Its not focused solely on the shift workers though. Clerical, administration and executive staff all were asked to work 39 instead of 36 hours as well as holidays for all being cut.

Yes, yet wages are 60% of this failing companies costs. They need to be addressed as recommended by the independent labour relations boards. Many of the recommendations are common sense - who works a 36 hour week and who gets lunch money in this day and age :/

Those poor babies. Taking away their lunch money and making them work 39 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As it was, the drivers considered it passing a picket and acted as such. I would agree with them on that, but not on what happened on Macurtain St.
    I don't give a hoot what they thought, tbh. What radius of the BE branded pole is decreed as sacred ground that the GoBus cannot enter?
    Kumsheen wrote: »
    Perhaps the customers will be identified and given some sort of gesture of compensation and apology.
    I doubt they'll use BE again, and I'd say they'll tell everyone who'll listen on why not to use BE.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    Why didn't the GoBE driver call the Gardaí? If I was a passenger on that bus I would certainly have done, after I had given those blocking the road a piece of my mind.
    The Gardai came, saw an illegal picket at a non-BE branded street, and left, me thinks.
    more people support those boys then you would think
    Intimidation, threats, and strike action is one way to lose any support.
    its a strike, if you really want to get round you can
    Eh, no. Most people depend on BE to get around, as the railway doesn't go everywhere. Also, does anyone know how badly schoolchildren will be affected by these strikes?
    The backlash will probably be bad. You'll have massive gridlock in the cities as everyone will drive, and there'll be a lot more people with no cars since the recession really bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Who would take the hit if, hypothetically, Bus Eireann was put under a High Court appointed administrator?

Because continuing to trade while running up 200K of losses per day from the strike, and 400K of losses per month in normal trading would run the risk of a charge of reckless trading for any purchases that they might not be able to pay for in the future. There was talk of an EGM being called by the board on Monday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

ressem wrote: »
    Who would take the hit if, hypothetically, Bus Eireann was put under a High Court appointed administrator?

Because continuing to trade while running up 200K of losses per day from the strike, and 400K of losses per month in normal trading would run the risk of a charge of reckless trading for any purchases that they might not be able to pay for in the future. There was talk of an EGM being called by the board on Monday evening.

Who benefits from this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Con Logue wrote: »
    Who benefits from this?

I'd imagine it demonstrates what a dire situation they are currently in. Can't survive on handouts of money that isn't there to give.

Less customers from emmigration.... This is what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Con Logue wrote: »
    Who benefits from this?

Bus Eireann's Creditors, who are owed 72 million in the 2011 accounts. Trade creditors, the Dept. of Revenue, that sort of thing.

(which is one of the reasons why the pot of 70 million CIE reserves that the NBRU think should be used to pay overtime to it's members should be taken with a spoonful of salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

For the bloodthirstier folk on thread, I suspect one of the union conditions for resumption will be for BE management to look the other way on the Gobe and any other incidents. It might sound great to say "stick your guns and fire them" but if the union stuck to theirs that's a big hit for the country to take being without BE service.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Those poor babies. Taking away their lunch money and making them work 39 hours a week.
    No need for insulting comments. Keep it on topic and constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

It was a strike, even BE were advertising it as one of their services, it is operating under the BE name. Other companies like aircoach for example were not targeted. That's industrial action thats what it looks like. The drivers for goBe being or not being members of a union or working for a different company is irrelevant they are part of the BE service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

Overtime is built in to their rosters

Heres a novel idea...dont roster them on overtime. Get in contract workers who can do the same job but cost the company less money.

Will NBRU members go for that? doubt it...why...because it will cost them money.

to my mind the NBRU union is being extremely stupid & childish here (and giving decent unions a bad rep). They are going on strike to stop their members losing wages (yes thats what unions are there for- to protect benefits for members)- BUT they are not looking at the bigger picture. If they try to maintain current benefit levels the company will be liquidated...meaning NBRU members have no job and even worse benefits than if they took a pay cut. Members with no jobs = people leaving the union.

And as for trying to drag in the other CIE companies, for shame on you NBRU (and SIPTU).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dowlingm wrote: »
    For the bloodthirstier folk on thread, I suspect one of the union conditions for resumption will be for BE management to look the other way on the Gobe and any other incidents. It might sound great to say "stick your guns and fire them" but if the union stuck to theirs that's a big hit for the country to take being without BE service.

From what I've read elsewhere, legal action is being undertaken because of the incident.

Remember it isn't just BE involved, GoBus were the ones effected.
    cdebru wrote: »
    It was a strike, even BE were advertising it as one of their services, it is operating under the BE name. Other companies like aircoach for example were not targeted. That's industrial action thats what it looks like. The drivers for goBe being or not being members of a union or working for a different company is irrelevant they are part of the BE service.

I'll quote something that has been posted on another forum:
    I would point out however that detention of a public service vehicle (irrespective of who owns it) and its passengers on a public highway , by anyone other than the Gardai , officers of the Dept of Transport or persons appointed with such powers by the Transport Minister , is illegal , thus the seizure of the GoBE service and its passengers on Mc Curtain st was an illegal act.

Rumour has it that a Gardai investigation is under way. This may have already gone beyond the control of BE management.

It is also possible that GoBus, one of their drivers or one of the passengers involved made a formal complaint to the Gardai. That can't just be ignored because it is inconvenient for BE management.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

cdebru wrote: »
    The drivers for goBe being or not being members of a union or working for a different company is irrelevant they are part of the BE service.

Technically the service is not part of the BE service, it's just a service provided by another operator that BE are helping market and have some revenue share agreement with in most likeliness. It is a GoBus service.

The whole service is operated with non Bus Eireann staff, vehicles, vehicle storage depots on a non Bus Eireann PSV license on a non Bus Eireann route license.

The Translink services however are a little difference since they operate jointly on a route, so I'd have thought they would be a bigger target than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

What does everyone think, will they come to a agreement today?
    If not can they can straight back on to strike? or do they have to give a few days notice??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They were supposed to give 7 days notice the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

If not can they can straight back on to strike? or do they have to give a few days notice??
    It's hard to see any basis for an agreement so as a commuter who uses BE to get to work, I'm not optimistic.
    My concern now is if IE go on strike in support, my alternative is gone.

Personally I think the 5M should be saved by capping pay in BE at 80K and finding the remainder of the saving with an acrooss the board percentage cut.
    This would never happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

STForSale wrote: »
    It's hard to see any basis for an agreement so as a commuter who uses BE to get to work, I'm not optimistic.
    My concern now is if IE go on strike in support, my alternative is gone.

STForSale's post struck a chord with me.

I was speaking with a (non-driving) employee of a private operator who expressed surprise at the general lack of the "chaos" so colourfully described in the media.

He told me that his employer had brought in some extra Coaches and Drivers,but found no need for them as the expected numbers of customers never materialized.

My own observations on some of the Commuter Routes to Drogheda/Dundalk left me wondering as to whether we need to fundamentally reassess the actual level of demand out there ?

Whilst I fully accept that all companies have regular and dependant customers,I am not so sure that the level of dependancy is quite what the media (and some companies) portray ?

Have times and lifestyles changed that much ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I certainly hope so. It's only leading to undue stress. A "sympathy strike" escalating from this will have a very big impact - financial and otherwise - to thousands of others.
    Yes they can go back immediately as the current strike (which didn't cover the notice period anyway) is just "suspended". This wouldn't be a new strike.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    STForSale's post struck a chord with me.

I was speaking with a (non-driving) employee of a private operator who expressed surprise at the general lack of the "chaos" so colourfully described in the media.

He told me that his employer had brought in some extra Coaches and Drivers,but found no need for them as the expected numbers of customers never materialized.

My own observations on some of the Commuter Routes to Drogheda/Dundalk left me wondering as to whether we need to fundamentally reassess the actual level of demand out there ?

Whilst I fully accept that all companies have regular and dependant customers,I am not so sure that the level of dependancy is quite what the media (and some companies) portray ?

100% agree, Like many I was inconvenienced, hardly armageddon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

100% agree, Like many I was inconvenienced, hardly armageddon!

I'm puzzled by this. How did the thousands of commuters from train-less areas like Navan get to work on Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    I'm puzzled by this. How did the thousands of commuters from train-less areas like Navan get to work on Monday?

I'd say many carpooled.

markpb wrote: »
    I don't know but I could speculate, the point is the country hardly ground to a halt?
    Now if Dublin Bus and IE where to go on strike also, that changes.

Personally my intention is to use the train in the event of the talks breaking down and if IE go out in solidarity (sympathy), I will work from home or hire a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I don't know but I could speculate, the point is the country hardly ground to a halt?
    Now if Dublin Bus and IE where to go on strike also, that changes.

Personally my intention is to use the train in the event of the talks breaking down and if IE go out in solidarity (sympathy), I will work from home or hire a car.

Not everyone is in a position to work from home and not everyone can drive so a sympathy strike could effect a hell of a lot of people so I am desperately hoping this does not happen.

Vahevala wrote: »
    Not everyone is in a position to work from home and not everyone can drive so a sympathy strike could effect a hell of a lot of people so I am desperately hoping this does not happen.
    As am I. I ditched my car and bought a taxsaver to save money and reduce stress. How's that working out for you ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AlekSmart wrote: »

Things like this tend to suppress the number of people travelling in the short term - people put off shopping and recreational trips and those with flexible work take days off or work from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The minister for transport has been reported as saying that he would prefer a return to strike rather than have a deal where bus Éireann doesn't make the required savings so looks like the strike may resume unless the union and workers accept what was on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Here is the article

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-says-he-would-rather-another-bus-eireann-strike-than-a-poor-deal-29269519.html

"I would rather see us go back into a strike situation than have an agreement that doesn't deliver the necessary savings," he said.

He said there had to be a deal that "would stick".
    Unquote

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

They were supposed to give 7 days notice the first time
    Ok thanks just that I don't want to have to get two trains home

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The minister for transport has been reported as saying that he would prefer a return to strike rather than have a deal where bus Éireann doesn't make the required savings
    The minister's sort of comment is pointless and inflammatory. It's like a red rag to an already enraged bull. Not sure what he was thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

It's called not backing down and giving in to the strikers. Exactly what this country need. If the militant unions realise they cannot hold the country to ransom ix the knowledge they will always win as the other side will give in first hopefully they will do it less often

It's about time someone showed some back bone and I congratulate the government on doing so. Had this happened in previous governments then the country would be in a far less bad state and the unions power would be reduced

Well done Leo

Advertisement