Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

communion in hospital?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Was in hospital today, had an appointment but while waiting a man wearing a
    h.s.e badge and in normal clothes walked around the waiting room asking everyone why they were in and then offered to say a prayer for them. i have heard of patients also receiving communion and you can also request a priest.

do they only cater to the catholic religion ?
    anyone find this odd besides me?
    is this just some hospitals i am a bit surprised to be honest they say that the religion has nothing to do with state run bodies but this didnt seem the case today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

So what you're asking is if people having a problem with the sick being comforted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Yeah I find it odd. I think a service should certainly be allowed for, and anyone who wishes to receive communion should certainly be accommodated. It's great that a service exists. But I think it's a bit inappropriate because my impression is that the person goes around asking every patient in the room without knowing their religious status. I know this is a Catholic country, but not everyone is Catholic and not everyone is even religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Operative words here are "he asked"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

James 5:15:13

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Christians following their own guidebook? Who would have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

h.s.e badge
    It could be just an access badge rather than an employee badge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I know this is a Catholic country, but not everyone is Catholic and not everyone is even religious.

And most people of a different religion would simply say no thanks. Although I'm RCC, I would have nothing but admiration for anyone of any religion (or even godless bastards athiest) who took time out to comfort sick or distressed people in a hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Prodigious wrote: »
    So what you're asking is if people having a problem with the sick being comforted?
    Who says they're being comforted?

A randomer approaching me in hospital asking me why I'm there and if I want to say a prayer is nothing but an annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah I find it odd. I think a service should certainly be allowed for, and anyone who wishes to receive communion should certainly be accommodated. It's great that a service exists. But I think it's a bit inappropriate because my impression is that the person goes around asking every patient in the room without knowing their religious status. I know this is a Catholic country, but not everyone is Catholic and not everyone is even religious.

How is the Chaplin to know what religion a person is without asking?

AFAIK all hospitals have a RC chaplin, but there is a facility to get a representative of all the religions inif a patient requests it.

However, no staff member would be able to comment on a patients religious status as far as I understand it inanyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

they say that the religion has nothing to do with state run bodies
    Anyone who has ever said that in Ireland is very mistaken. Many of us think this should be the case, but we are pretty far from that.

A lot of the hospitals are explicitly run by the catholic church, though generally they seem to hold themselves to the same medical standards as the rest of the hospitals (unlike the catholic hospitals in the US). Most of the hospitals hire chaplains and they are usually catholic, but they usually have contacts with people from other religions who can be called in if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

h.s.e badge and in normal clothes walked around the waiting room asking everyone why they were in and then offered to say a prayer for them. i have heard of patients also receiving communion and you can also request a priest.

do they only cater to the catholic religion ?
    anyone find this odd besides me?
    is this just some hospitals i am a bit surprised to be honest they say that the religion has nothing to do with state run bodies but this didnt seem the case today

Not one bit odd.

Part of a persons care in a health care setting is to be aware of, and cater for the religious beleifs if possible. Most hospitals have at least a Catholic and COI preist/minister/chaplin, a small chapel, or multifaith prayer room.

Its part of what is known as providing holistic care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

ya being picked up wrong here i admire the idea and i am so happy that anyone who wants him to say a prayer can have that done he was probably just on a visit pass in his own time providing a nice helpful service to those who want it

i just think its a bit odd i would imagine if i wanted to be provided with a similar service under another religion it would not be so easy maybe i am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

he was probably just on a visit pass in his own time

No, they are paid by the HSE. About €56k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Can't see too much of an issue with this. As part of my duties as Satanic High Priest for my area I regularly walk around my local hospital asking patients if they'd like me to sacrifice a virgin on their behalf. No complaints to date so I reckon the mock cannibalism ceremony offered by the Catholics should be ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

So a simple no thanks clears it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

We should welcome anything that comforts sick people and is of no harm to anyone else. This shouldn't be a ground for the secularist/atheist fight, because people will rightly tell them to shag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

You have to get them when they are desperate and vulnerable is their motto.

discus wrote: »
    And most people of a different religion would simply say no thanks. Although I'm RCC, I would have nothing but admiration for anyone of any religion (or even godless bastards athiest) who took time out to comfort sick or distressed people in a hospital.

Absolutely, as would I. They seem like lovely people anyway, I remember one lady in particular, always a smile on her face. I have no issues with people of the Church offering comfort to patients if they deem it to be of comfort. I just think it's a bit odd to offer it to everybody. I wouldn't like somebody walking up to me and offering to say a prayer, as I'm not religious. I'd just say "no thanks" politely, no harm done, but I'd still prefer if people didn't assume I believe in that, or that I'm Catholic. Also, in one ward I worked in the lady asked everybody in the ward every time she was there regardless (probably a bit hard to remember who usually says yes and who doesn't, I'd imagine!) so I wouldn't like to be kept asking to say prayers if I was an inpatient for a while.
    Odysseus wrote: »
    How is the Chaplin to know what religion a person is without asking?

AFAIK all hospitals have a RC chaplin, but there is a facility to get a representative of all the religions inif a patient requests it.

However, no staff member would be able to comment on a patients religious status as far as I understand it inanyway.

There are a few alternative options off the top of my head, but would result in more admin/staff work, so I wouldn't suggest that.

Again, my view is it's no big deal the way it is, but I just think it's a little inappropriate. You don't see Jewish rabbis going around offering to perform some Hebrew cereominies :pac: Of Muslim prayers! Again, obviously because this is a Catholic country.

No, nowhere in any of the countless pieces of Christian literature is it written "You have to get them when they are desperate and vulnerable"

Again, my view is it's no big deal the way it is, but I just think it's a little inappropriate. You don't see Jewish rabbis going around offering to perform some Hebrew cereominies :pac: Of Muslim prayers! Again, obviously because this is a Catholic country.

They are offering to say a prayer for them in the chapel, not to say mass in the ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Training for Pastoral Ministry for the Healthcare or Parish/Community setting takes places at St. Luke's Home.

http://www.stlukeshome.ie/content/preparing-pastoral-ministry-hospitals-and-other-settings

Churches and Faith Communities:

Church of Ireland
    Dioceses of Cork Cloyne and Ross
    Cork Baptist Church
    Methodist Church Cork
    Presbyterian Church Cork
    Roman Catholic Dioceses of Cork and Ross
    Jewish Community
    Society of Friends Cork
    Islamic Community Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No, nowhere in any of the countless pieces of Christian literature is it written "You have to get them when they are desperate and vulnerable"

The followers don't follow what is written anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Absolutely, as would I. They seem like lovely people anyway, I remember one lady in particular, always a smile on her face. I have no issues with people of the Church offering comfort to patients if they deem it to be of comfort. I just think it's a bit odd to offer it to everybody. I wouldn't like somebody walking up to me and offering to say a prayer, as I'm not religious. I'd just say "no thanks" politely, no harm done, but I'd still prefer if people didn't assume I believe in that, or that I'm Catholic. Also, in one ward I worked in the lady asked everybody in the ward every time she was there regardless (probably a bit hard to remember who usually says yes and who doesn't, I'd imagine!) so I wouldn't like to be kept asking to say prayers if I was an inpatient for a while.

There are a few alternative options off the top of my head, but would result in more admin/staff work, so I wouldn't suggest that.

But it is also the chaplins job to to arrange for either of those religious figures are required to perform one of those cereromies.

I would have a bigger issue with staff giving me personal details to non-medical staff, but that just me.

gctest50 wrote: »
    The followers don't follow what is written anyway ?

I was referring to :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Custardpi wrote: »
    Can't see too much of an issue with this. As part of my duties as Satanic High Priest for my area I regularly walk around my local hospital asking patients if they'd like me to sacrifice a virgin on their behalf. No complaints to date so I reckon the mock cannibalism ceremony offered by the Catholics should be ok too.

What happens if the only virgin you can sacrifice is the sick person you are talking to in hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

They are offering to say a prayer for them in the chapel, not to say mass in the ward.

no he said the prayer in the waiting room with the person while holding their hand, he said 8 or 9 prayers in the waiting room holding the hand of each person while sitting beside them not that this is a problem just letting you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I wouldn't like somebody walking up to me and offering to say a prayer, as I'm not religious. I'd just say "no thanks" politely, no harm done, but I'd still prefer if people didn't assume I believe in that, or that I'm Catholic.

If they're offering to say a prayer they're not assuming, they're asking. Assuming would be saying a prayer without asking.

Odysseus wrote: »
    But it is also the chaplins job to to arrange for either of those religious figures are required to perform one of those cereromies.

I would have a bigger issue with staff giving me personal details to non-medical staff, but that just me.

To be honest I'd prefer on admission to state my preference that no religious body offer me communion/prayers while I'm lying in bed watching telly :pac: Again, each to their own.

Also to the other poster - forgot to quote - my point was that these people (in the hospitals I've been in anyway) don't go around up to the wards - there are religious services available, and I'm sure somebody may be sent up to the wards by request, but it is only the Catholic workers that go around to each ward to each bed to ask if they'd like to receive communion or say prayers. Just in my experience though. And again, understandable, as if a Muslim minister went around asking everybody he'd probably only find a handful of Muslim patients :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Who says they're being comforted?

A randomer approaching me in hospital asking me why I'm there and if I want to say a prayer is nothing but an annoyance.

They won't approach you randomly and ask you to pray. When you're admitted to hospital you're asked what your religion is and if you'd like to be visited by the Chaplain... so contain your faux-outrage at the idea that people are coerced against their will into saying the Hail Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

To be honest I'd prefer on admission to state my preference that no religious body offer me communion/prayers while I'm lying in bed watching telly :pac: Again, each to their own.

Also to the other poster - forgot to quote - my point was that these people (in the hospitals I've been in anyway) don't go around up to the wards - there are religious services available, and I'm sure somebody may be sent up to the wards by request, but it is only the Catholic workers that go around to each ward to each bed to ask if they'd like to receive communion or say prayers. Just in my experience though. And again, understandable, as if a Muslim minister went around asking everybody he'd probably only find a handful of Muslim patients :pac:

I thought everyone is asked on admission what their religion is, why do you keep on about Muslims's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

What happens if the only virgin you can sacrifice is the sick person you are talking to in hospital?

Not an issue, I've always had a steady supply. The Catholic chaplains will run short of their zombie flesh before I have any shortages.

Advertisement