Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop cloud - yay or nay

Options
  • 08-05-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I see Adobe's next version of photoshop is exclusively cloud based.

Do you think it's unfair to have people take out subscription to use adobe's new software

I hope they keep lightroom as physical product

Would anyone recommend signing up to photoshop cloud. It's expensive enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It will help to stop software piracy I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have been renting photoshop from them for a while now, it made more financial sense for me to rent rather than buy it outright. Some people seem to be getting confused by the “Cloud name” thinking it has to be always connected to the internet, in fact you only need to connect once a month. I could see it being an issue for some people but it works great for me.

As for lightroom, they only seem to be making the creative suite programs available on the cloud service but who knows what they might do. They could very well tie it in with the launch of lightroom 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's the subscription that's the problem, not the 'cloud' aspect. $50 = €61.49 eh?

Lightroom will still be available separately, phew. ;)

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I just think the majority of the people that paid for CS6 will stick with it, unless the launch of CS7 comes with something off the richter

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bldwalsh

Photoshop is not €69. That's the price for the whole creative suite. photoshop is €22.60 i think. Lightroom is being left as standalone which can still be purchased with a licence as are elements. The only way you can get Lightroom on the cloud is by the €69 sub. As I say that cost is for in design, illustrator, premier pro and the rest.

• Advertisement

bldwalsh wrote: »
    Photoshop is not €69.

Nobody said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bldwalsh

It's the subscription that's the problem, not the 'cloud' aspect. $50 = €61.49 eh?

Lightroom will still be available separately, phew. ;)

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Sorry Kenny I must have read your post wrong so then why say €61.49 when it's not the sub for photoshop.

bldwalsh wrote: »
    Sorry Kenny I must have read your post wrong so then why say €61.49 when it's not the sub for photoshop.

Ah, sorry, yes - reading back now it looks like I was suggesting it was. (I was considering Lightroom and Photoshop together).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Farmlife wrote: »
    I just think the majority of the people that paid for CS6 will stick with it, unless the launch of CS7 comes with something off the richter

If I'm correct they won't release Ps CS7. To get future updates to Ps you'll need to subscribe to the Creative Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jamesccp

you could get the student subscription for 20 a month. I have this, you get whole creative suite. All you need to do is find a student who will let you use their ID. There will not be PS cs7. They are updating all of their desktop apps to include the CC name as in Photoshop CC and will be doing rolling updates. So when their engineers finish a new feature they will add it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cloud and subscription are very different. They're simply changing the financial model so that instead of paying a massive ton of money for a particular version all at once every few years, you pay a much smaller amount monthly and get constant updates as they're available. There will be no CS7, I don't know what name system they're going to use from now on, but the days of discrete versions are over, they will add new features and UI fixes as needed.

I'm a little torn over the idea but I think I'm in favour. Financially it is mostly a question of how often you would buy a new version of any Adobe software. If you would get every version then this is much cheaper, if you bought CS3 and stuck with it until now then this way will probably be more expensive for you.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    It will help to stop software piracy I think

Let's just get this nipped in the bud: They're not going to stop piracy. Ever. It's a new ecosystem, and for every feature, trick or encryption they spend months developing, there are a thousand nerds who will crack it in a week, or indeed, overnight. At most this is a small speed bump for piracy, and it is likely a speed bump that the warez community will solve for the people doing the downloading, the end user won't experience it. Like with DRM on computer games, the version that the end user gets has been stripped of the protections -- they are arguably getting a superior product to the paying users, who don't get a version with the DRM headache stripped out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

What will happen if I pay for a couple of months or whatever then stop paying? Would Ps stop working or would I still be able to use the app without getting any updates to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Stephen P wrote: »
    What will happen if I pay for a couple of months or whatever then stop paying? Would Ps stop working or would I still be able to use the app without getting any updates to it?

It requires a connection to the adobe servers at least once a month. If you stopped paying it would stop working after the month was up.

Stephen P wrote: »

Stop working I'd imagine. They have a pay as you go subscription for €92.24 pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Surprised no one here has mentioned the price differential yet...

I'd certainly have considered a photoshop subscription however for the privilage of subscribing from Ireland I'm charged a 61% premium:

US Price: $19.99/mo €15.2313/mo

Irish Price: $32.2894/mo €24.59/mo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Farmlife wrote: »

Despite not being CS7, it is coming with something mahoosive. Shake reduction

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/06/adobe-photoshop-cc-subscription-only-shake-reduction-better-raw/
    Surprised no one here has mentioned the price differential yet...

I'd certainly have considered a photoshop subscription however for the privilage of subscribing from Ireland I'm charged a 61% premium:

US Price: $19.99/mo €15.2313/mo

Irish Price: $32.2894/mo €24.59/mo

Adobe got pulled up on it before with Australian pricing and pretty much got away with it

http://petapixel.com/2013/03/25/adobe-offers-justification-for-higher-prices-to-australian-parliamentary-committee/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It requires a connection to the adobe servers at least once a month. If you stopped paying it would stop working after the month was up.
    i suspect this will be straightforward enough to hijack. modify your hosts file, stick some doohickey on your computer which tricks your local copy into thinking it's talking to it, etc. etc.

it will probably reduce piracy; as there are plenty of people (and plenty of people on here, i suspect) who are using cracked copies because stumping up a grand for software is a lot more painful than paying €25 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Really good strategy. I've been using cracked Adobe programs since buying CS2 simply because it was so bloody much then and for just my personal use there's no way I could come up with the money to upgrade every year or two. 25 quid a month is a lot more reasonable, and I'll definitely pay that sort of subscription a lot sooner than saving up 25 a month for 10 years to buy the suite.

Really good strategy. I've been using cracked Adobe programs since buying CS2 simply because it was so bloody much then and for just my personal use there's no way I could come up with the money to upgrade every year or two. 25 quid a month is a lot more reasonable, and I'll definitely pay that sort of subscription a lot sooner than saving up 25 a month for 10 years to buy the suite.

Right now Photoshop CS6 is on Amazon.co.uk for €746.410

If you go with subscription it is 25 per month, that's approximately 30 months worth or 2.5 years, roughly equivalent of Adobes upgrade cycle, coincidentally.

At that point you will have paid 750 euro (using the unsafe assumption that they don't increase their subscription price in line with inflastion year on year) for your use of Photoshop. If you decide for any reason to stop your subscription you can no longer use photoshop, you are left with nothing.

The chap who bought CS6 for 750 at that point has paid the same as you, has had the same use of photoshop for the same amount of time but he gets to keep his CS6 forever, and keep using it without forking out a penny more.

Ah, but what about upgrades you say, paying your monthly subscription gets you the next version, whenever it comes out on it's 2 - 2.5ish release cycle.

Well you get to pay another 600-750 on top of what you've already paid to use the newer version.

Our other chap, under the older model, pays approximately 357 euro to upgrade, and again, keep using the newer software forever without paying a penny more.

Within one upgrade cycle you are down approximately 250 euro on the old model, and you can quadruple that if you were on a skip generation cycle.

Meanwhile, the newer updates are going to move to smaller, independent feature releases, and will likely be not much that would have enticed the 350 euro out of your pocket for upgrading in the first place.

So you end up paying over 8 years (3 release cycles) 2400 under the subscription model, versus 1100 under the old model (skipping an upgrade in the middle).

What's worse is you can't even stop at any time and say, hey you know what, this new feature set is not worth another 690 (2.3 years) of subscription fees, I think I'll stop paying now and just keep what I have, because at that point you end up losing access to everything you've already paid 1380 (4.6 years) to purchase. That's against the approximately 1100 of the old system.

Make no mistake, if you are poor the new model is worse for you.

I think this will actually drive more people to hoist sail and make for freer waters, Arrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i bought the cs3 design suite back in 2007, and it was a huge chunk of money to fork out. i still use it though, and will continue to use it until the operating system and it are no longer compatible. i really don't like the idea of renting. the fact you don't get anything at the end for that kind of money is not my cup of tea. may help out those who only need it temporarily though.

i don't understand why adobe have to keep creating upgrades all the time though. even for small design businesses, it's a killer financially to keep on top of, along with everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Although i said CS7, i just meant the next version of Photoshop. The updates are hardly worth the monthly subscription to the cloud, unless Adobe launch something really valuable

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57583370-92/how-greedy-is-adobes-creative-cloud-subscription-not-very/ Cnet seem to thinks its a good deal. If your only doing photography then Light Room will suffice and you can still buy a perpetual licence for this and new ones will come out. There will never be a PS CS 7 so popebuckfasts imaginary chap will never be able to upgrade.

jamesccp wrote: »
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57583370-92/how-greedy-is-adobes-creative-cloud-subscription-not-very/ Over a three-year period, Photoshop -- a new version and an update -- is more expensive than a subscription to Photoshop Creative Cloud. This calculation doesn't include the subscription's first-year promotional pricing discount for existing CS customers.

This is such bull****, they should be comparing over the entire lifetime of both releases which would be closer to 4+ years.

They literally picked the longest amount of time that could possibly give CC the advantage. What a joke.

Use gimp then. PS was always expensive. There will never be a PS CS7.

Use gimp then. PS was always expensive. There will never be a PS CS7.

It never ceases to amaze me how people stick up for corporations that have never given them anything.

I'm merely pointing out that the new dispensation is not a 'good deal' for the photoshop consumer. For some reason that irks you...

Ha im not sticking up for any corporation. PS was and is expensive what ever way you choose to pay for it. GIMP is excelent software and free. The CC is good value if you use more than one application. And it looks like ADOBE are only the tip of the iceberg with the subscription payments. MS office 365 is ms testing the water on this payment method too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If your only doing photography then Light Room will suffice

I'm fairly sure every photographer in the world that uses photoshop on a regular basis will disagree.

But please do enlighten me as to how you can do composites in lightroom? Oh wait, you can't. And that's only one specific thing I've picked out. Lightroom is not photoshop, and can't be substituted for it tbh. What lightroom is, is a convenient way to edit photos directed towards the masses who aren't bothered about learning photoshop or doing any major retouching. To assume it will suffice for every photographer is just naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Now many will banish me for this but dont see point in buying software for any amount of money since you can get if hassle free of net.
    Im not against that corporations and private companies have to pay for it as they make living out of it,creating art work/design etc.
    But for regular home user paying 500-700 e for a disk that you can get free online is up to every person decision to make,ive been using cs4 for the last 3-4 years cracked version,ive no pro,just use it to make photos look better or just doodle around a bit.And yet cs4 old if one has skills even with the oldest version they can create top class art using basic tools and skills.
    That said as every cracker writes down,if you like the product then support developers and buy it.
    theres micosoft,adobe,game companies-like blizzard,film industry,that they say piracy is destroying their income,but yet those companies make millions every year.Same with movies most leak even before appearing in cinemas here,but that doesn't stop them from making millions in just couple days time,reason being they put in effort into making something that people are willing to pay for let it be quality,design or something new.
    For example im huge fan of online games,and for example if company invests time years to make something amazing and unique i will always buy it,because i enjoy the work that was done in making it.but certain things have to have proper prices,as now paying for software cs6 or some maya,zbrush,3dmax most likely without using even half of its potential is waste of money for ordinary artist.

I was talking in the context of paying for the Creative Cloud. PS can do more and therefore cost more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i was talking about price in general,i know there are student discounts or special versions with limits etc,but say if big companies would make it real price ,of like what games cost 50-100e for windows or other rendering creative software there would be a lot less people using pirate copies.
    when now where someone queted price of 700e for full cs6 pack :cool: you can buy almost top end pc for that money.Anyway its only my oppinion,that prices arent worth paying unless you make living out of using the soft.

Advertisement