Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Ye The Turf Cut Yet?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Well, folks it's that time of the year again, the days are getting longer, the larks are singing and the midges are starting to bite. As I write this I am getting ten bins of the hopper spread in the bink-hole and the sausage machine will be ready to go in two or three days time once the double wheels are on, and I'll get €200 worth cut on the brew. I love this time of year.

So, good people of AH, are you heading for the bog this year?

Are you cutting turf this year? 42 votes

Aye
    0% 0 votes
    Naw
    50% 21 votes
    I have a shade full of last year's turf
    50% 21 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So, good people of AH, are you heading for the bog this year?

Went this morning, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Have you looked outside the window this year!????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Have you looked outside the window this year!????
    Aye, couple of warm days this time of year doesn't be long drying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

We have stuff cut from last year that still hasn't dried out.:(

We have stuff cut from last year that still hasn't dried out.:(
    What you need to do is build a stack as high up on the hill as you can, on a good hard stale, and thatch it with rushes. Be sure to put the wettest ones on the outside and you'll be burning them in not time.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

I have my 300 bags spread,going footing in the mornin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I shave my turf.

Miseryguts wrote: »
    I have my 300 bags spread,going footing in the mornin
    Ah, you must have cut them before the eek was up in them, a common mistake that people make, the first week in May is the earliest anyone should cut turf, to get the best goodness out of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Am I the only one here who doesn't speak culchie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who doesn't speak culchie?
    I'm not a culchie meself, and the people that work the binks either side of me, one is a doctor and the other is an optician.

You don't have to be a culchie to appreciate a good black turf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is turf cutting forbidden these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

There won't be a thing wrong with them come next winter when da shed will be stocked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

next week.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is turf cutting forbidden these days?
    Only in certain areas. Most blanket bogs can still be cut afaik, mostly raised ones that are forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

This years turf?????

Sure we may get last years off first!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

With such a blessed warm winter we didn't need all the turf already cut.
    Will have more time for the spuds, beets and cabbage now.

biko wrote: »
    With such a blessed warm winter we didn't need all the turf already cut.
    Will have more time for the spuds, beets and cabbage now.
    The crows pulled my peas out of the drills but didn't eat them, that's a sure sign of a bad winter ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

fierce bang of cow**** from this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I loved going to the bog when we were kids, we would only be there and we would want to eat our lunch.
    Happy days jumping across the drains, not much turf turned but we had great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You don't have to be a culchie to appreciate a good black turf.

no but being a little backwards helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My next door neighbor was cuttin his turf yesterday. I've a sneaking suspicion he might be gay, I met him returning from the bog yesterday evening you see, hot and sticky looking, with beads of sweat running down his nose.

When I asked him was he just back from cutting the turf, he said he "was up to his balls in Pete all evening".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We buy turf from our coal man and could only get about a dozen bags at most from him this year. He just couldn't get it anywhere, or so he said and we got a couple of bags from a different fuel merchant on one occassion and couldn't get anymore after that. We don't have enough room to store a load of it so we'd only buy about 6 bags at a time. We really missed having it, it smells great and makes the coal go a lot further.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Goody2Shoes77

I've bought mine locally at €3.75 - €4 a bag. I'm assuming the €200 mentioned is for a year's supply? It kills me buying it per bag but no choice in the matter. Haven't got that big a shed either so can only get around 60 bags in at a time. Am currently stocking up on seasoned hardwood and briquettes from my local fuel merchant so I've got something to start off on when winter comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Trying to find a bank to work off,

c*nts won't let us cut on ours anymore, last year was the final effort.

Now we're stuck with nothing but this mucky sh1te from 3 years ago that still hasn't dried and is mostly stones anyway, f*ckin scutter :mad:

Workin on it though, hopefully we'll be out tearing the sh1te out of our hamstrings soon, or we'll have no hot water for the forseeable future :(

I've bought mine locally at €3.75 - €4 a bag. I'm assuming the €200 mentioned is for a year's supply? It kills me buying it per bag but no choice in the matter. Haven't got that big a shed either so can only get around 60 bags in at a time. Am currently stocking up on seasoned hardwood and briquettes from my local fuel merchant so I've got something to start off on when winter comes.
    Na, it's €200 worth of fresh cut turf, we have to do a wee bit of work with it before it's ready for bagging. It differs by location and turfcutter, but I would usually get around 1800 bags from €200 of sausage turf, less than half of that from hopper turf which is probably what you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's the 21st century folks,buy some oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

kneemos wrote: »

Would it burn well in the pot belly?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Goody2Shoes77

Na, it's €200 worth of fresh cut turf, we have to do a wee bit of work with it before it's ready for bagging. It differs by location and turfcutter, but I would usually get around 1800 bags from €200 of sausage turf, less than half of that from hopper turf which is probably what you are buying.

Knew I was being robbed blind!!!! :rolleyes: I know there's a bit of work with it, wouldn't mind that, used to go to the bog every Summer as a kid and of course the highlight was bringing home the turf sat up on the trailer :D

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    No to fossil fuels.

:pac:

Advertisement