Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI SUPER 6 - Now starts Thursdays UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

X1MfvwR.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

cjf4waQl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Got Sour Grapes in Tesco the other day, they were only a euro per pack and now I know why they were so cheap!

309540.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Got Sour Grapes in Tesco the other day, they were only a euro per pack and now I know why they were so cheap!

Happened to me before. Had to throw away 2 punnets (and paid full price:mad:) The greener they are, the sourer they are...

I don't mind yellowish ones as they always have more sugar than the green ones. They might not last for long, but are edible at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

wonski wrote: »
    Happened to me before. Had to throw away 2 punnets (and paid full price:mad:) The greener they are, the sourer they are...

I don't mind yellowish ones as they always have more sugar than the green ones. They might not last for long, but are edible at least.

The apples in the current Super 6 are really poor as well. But on the other hand the White Potatoes are very good.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    The apples in the current Super 6 are really poor as well. But on the other hand the White Potatoes are very good.

I do lower my expectations when i spend 49c on fruits (i do expect these to be "fit for purpose", too). Haven't tried apples and oranges from a super6 offer yet, but the pineapples and courgettes were ok. The pineapples looked a bit smaller than the regular ones, but for 49 cents it is great deal.

What is wrong with the apples btw?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the oranges are nice, not terribly juicy but real easy to peel and eat with no mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I do lower my expectations when i spend 49c on fruits (i do expect these to be "fit for purpose", too). Haven't tried apples and oranges from a super6 offer yet, but the pineapples and courgettes were ok. The pineapples looked a bit smaller than the regular ones, but for 49 cents it is great deal.

Ive had the apples before. Red apples from France i think and they were lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They start discolouring no sooner than you bite into them and they are really not that juicy or nice.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Ive had the apples before. Red apples from France i think and they were lovely :)

Looks like they have different batches of those from all over the place. I had the german ones before and they were fine. I have seen some from Argentina too, but didn't buy at that time so can't comment on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Aldi pineapples (49 cent) were gorgeous after a day or three in the sun.

kn wrote: »
    They start discolouring no sooner than you bite into them and they are really not that juicy or nice.

Might have something to do with storage, frozen at some point maybe?
    That is not acceptable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

They were frozen, quite probably, the flesh of the fruit is umm.. 'mushy'.

Amalgam wrote: »
    The Aldi pineapples (49 cent) were gorgeous after a day or three in the sun.

Pineapple can last for 2-3 weeks, best super 6 ever if you asked me:D

I always stock up on these, never go to waste:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aldi oranges are amazing. I get over 500ml of juice from a pack. Working out at under a euro for a liter of freshly squeezed juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

RasTa wrote: »
    Aldi oranges are amazing. I get over 500ml of juice from a pack. Working out at under a euro for a liter of freshly squeezed juice.

I have been buying boxes of oranges from Smithfield for about 5 years. 4 oranges a day, normally last about 5 weeks. €12-14 a box. Condrens is open until 12 on Saturday.

I have been buying boxes of oranges from Smithfield for about 5 years. 4 oranges a day, normally last about 6 weeks. €12-14 a box. Condrens is open until 12 on Saturday.

Are you saying you have 42 * 4 packs for 12-14 euro?

I see now you edited your post...

Are you saying you have 35 * 4 packs for 12-14 euro?

yup....i've been saying this for years, and no-one listens1 We get (and I tried to work this out) about 5 weeks worth of oranges from one box. box is generally between €12-14. 4 oranges is a decent glass of juice every morning for two people.

yup....i've been saying this for years, and no-one listens1 We get (and I tried to work this out) about 5 weeks worth of oranges from one box. box is generally between €12-14. 4 oranges is a decent glass of juice every morning for two people.

Nice.

According to the internet Class 1 Oranges from South Africa were 14 euro for a box of 60. I can see it being competitive with regular prices, but not with a super 6 offer tbh.

I always support locals when i can, but in this case i don't see it, really:o

according to the internet? :D

not sure what you're looking at, but I will take a pic on saturday for you, as we are nearly out. In my experience, its every five weeks, but depends on the size of the box. juicing oranges are smaller and juicier. I'm not going to count them

I guarantee you that every bulk buy in smithfield will beat any large discounters price on any veg/fruit. Just go down there and see for yourself.

buy in bulk!

• Advertisement

according to the internet? :D

not sure what you're looking at, but I will take a pic on saturday for you, as we are nearly out. In my experience, its every five weeks, but depends on the size of the box. juicing oranges are smaller and juicier. I'm not going to count them

I guarantee you that every bulk buy in smithfield will beat any large discounters price on any veg/fruit. Just go down there and see for yourself.

buy in bulk!

Thanks, but no need for pictures:D

The count or weight should be printed on the box. Without that I can't decide if it is a good deal or not.

Might go one day to see meself, but with the current fruit&vegs war going on I am not that desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Aldi(not Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl/Smithfield)

from 5 June to 18 June;

All 39c each/per pack

Avocado 2 pk
    Cherry Tomatoes 250g
    Cucumber each
    Round Lettuce each
    Salad Potatoes 1kg
    Scallions per bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

prodsc wrote: »
    Aldi(not Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl/Smithfield)

from 5 June to 18 June;

All 39c each/per pack

Avocado 2 pk
    Cherry Tomatoes 250g
    Cucumber each
    Round Lettuce each
    Salad Potatoes 1kg
    Scallions per bunch

saladicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

pity no good fruit offers this time round. I'm sick to the teeth of lettuce and salad stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

pity no good fruit offers this time round. I'm sick to the teeth of lettuce and salad stuff!

Jaysus no, time to stock up on avocados and make a vat of guacamole

Edit: I see you said fruit, yeah nothing there for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I have been buying boxes of oranges from Smithfield for about 5 years. 4 oranges a day, normally last about 5 weeks. €12-14 a box. Condrens is open until 12 on Saturday.

Is this the wholesalers in Smithfield or the fruit/veg stalls that sell to the public?

And do you specifically get juicing oranges?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Avocado is a fruit...
    So are tomatoes :pac:

I feel the same. Would love the red grapefruit to come up....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 solataire

how long does guacamole last for retalivity ?
    stocked up yest on courgettes , pineapples but oranges were past their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

solataire wrote: »
    how long does guacamole last for retalivity ?
    stocked up yest on courgettes , pineapples but oranges were past their best.

If you keep it from getting oxidised by sealing it in an airtight container, it can last for up to a week. Adding more lime juice to it can keep it fresh too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Its not part of.the super six or anything, but aldi also have 250g tubs of cherries for 1.69, so 6.76/kg which is very good for this time of year.

Advertisement