Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Shatter doing his job!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

EURATS wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wwii-irish-troops-set-for-pardons-29248191.html

Nice to see Shatter making good use of his time.

What's next? Apologise for the War of Independence?

Wonder had we been invaded (as was planned) and we lost loads of civilians due to the lack of soldiers, would we be as forgiving? They abandoned us in a war, I see them as deserters personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Wonder had we been invaded (as was planned) and we lost loads of civilians due to the lack of soldiers, would we be as forgiving? They abandoned us in a war, I see them as deserters personally.

100%. If they absconded from the British or US army they would also have been treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Seeing as how 'the blue shirts' fought with the Nazis as allies alongside Franco, it would be hypocritical for shatter to say anything else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I agree they needed to be punished as they disobeyed orders but the discrimination they suffered as far as not being able to get employment and being generally shunned was in my eyes slightly disgusting.
    Maybe they shouldnt get a pardon but an apology for how they were treated is deffinitely in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    100%. If they absconded from the British or US army they would also have been treated as such.

Em... regardless of what banner they fought under, weren't tehy still preventing an invasion of Ireland? I mean, you can't abscond "into" a war...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Em... regardless of what banner they fought under, weren't tehy still preventing an invasion of Ireland? I mean, you can't abscond "into" a war...

They were in the Irish Army, who at the time were a neutral force. They abandoned their posts and countrymen to fight in a war we had yet to be involved in. There were plans by both Allies and the Axis powers to invade us and our ports as they were seen as a way to attack Britain from two sides. They left us in a weaker position against these invasions, had we been invaded, we stood some chance (albeit only a small one) of defending ourselves, they left us, meaning we were weaker. We are only lucky it did not get that far!

They went AWOL from the army they enlisted in. Simple as. And there were consequences.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They went AWOL from the army they enlisted in. Simple as. And there were consequences.
    ...and those consequences went way beyond what would have been an appropriate punishment for their crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and those consequences went way beyond what would have been an appropriate punishment for their crime.

Isn't a quick firing squad the normal punishment for going AWOL at a time of war ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They left a corrupt bananna pretend country to go and fight in a war that was in our best interest..those men were heroes

• Advertisement

NO

They left a corrupt bananna pretend country

That's what it is now. Correct.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Isn't a quick firing squad the normal punishment for going AWOL at a time of war ?
    We weren't at war.
    NO
    Well reasoned. Do you feel that permanently destroying people's lives is such an appropriate punishment for desertion that it should be written into the code of military justice of every army?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

They left a corrupt bananna pretend country to go and fight in a war that was in our best interest..those men were heroes
    Our best interest was fighting for Nazi Germany? I've read some stupid posts in my time but this takes the biscuit...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Completely inappropriate to pardon these men IMO

Does this mean Irish soldiers can go AWOL whenever they like to get involved in foreign wars?
    I really don't understand this guy Shatter sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We weren't at war.

Well reasoned. Do you feel that permanently destroying people's lives is such an appropriate punishment for desertion that it should be written into the code of military justice of every army?

The article says that the deserters were "barred from state jobs, refused military pensions and faced with widespread discrimination."

If you go AWOL and get dismissed from the Army, do you think they should get a nice government job for their efforts? Surely they wouldn't have the neck to ask for a military? Both of these punishments sound reasonable.

So what is the discrimination that they suffered that is unjust?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Our best interest was fighting for Nazi Germany? I've read some stupid posts in my time but this takes the biscuit...
    not sure which article you read
    A pardon is due to be issued to thousands of Irish soldiers who joined the British Army to fight Nazi Germany

We weren't at war.

I do of course. The Irish government has NO qualms about ruining people's lives.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If those who deserted hadn't been treated so harshly on their return, this may not still be an issue today. The state wasn't content to reprimand them, but made sure that it become as hard as possible to live here for the rest of their lives.

Indeed, it seems that the punishment meted out was less for desertion and more for joining the British army:
    Containing each soldier’s last recorded address, date of birth, declared occupation prior to enlistment in the Defence Forces, and date of dismissal, it was circulated to all government departments and state-run bodies, to ensure that nobody who quit in such circumstances ever secured a state job. Given the climate of the time, it made most unemployable.

Soldiers who deserted but did not join the British army were treated differently: some were not even arrested, and their names were left off the list.

So what is the discrimination that they suffered that is unjust?
    They were denied social welfare, and had their names widely circulated to discourage employers from giving them work. Their children grew up more or less permanently hungry.

If you feel this is an appropriate punishment for desertion, we don't have enough common ground for an intelligent conversation on the issue, frankly.

• Advertisement

Indeed, it seems that the punishment meted out was less for desertion and more for joining the British army:
    It's hard to avoid the conclusion that the same reasoning prevails today, at least in some quarters. Which is pretty pathetic, considering even Sinn Féin appear to have supported the move to pardon them.

They were denied social welfare, and had their names widely circulated to discourage employers from giving them work. Their children grew up more or less permanently hungry.

If you feel this is an appropriate punishment for desertion, we don't have enough common ground for an intelligent conversation on the issue, frankly.

Maybe they should have asked the queen(US president..whatever) they swore allegiance to for some social welfare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

What about the bravery of Irish soldiers who fought with Nazi Germany? Alan, or is your amnesty one sided.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Maybe they should have asked the queen(US president..whatever) they swore allegiance to for some social welfare?

Actually, efforts were made to take some of their British entitlements:
    Widders also argues that the 1941 Children Act, which sent thousands of youngsters to industrial schools exposed by the Ryan report in recent years, was used with particular vindictiveness against the children of deserters from the Defence Forces. “The Irish government lobbied the British government to have the payment of family allowances, to which married Irish soldiers in the British Army were entitled, paid directly to the Irish State [for children held in care]. In effect, this helped finance incarceration,” he writes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

About bloody time those brave Irish men were pardoned (& honoured) for fighting against the Nazi's. Ireland must have been the only country on the planet with a twisted logic that dictated that the WWII heroes who fought the Nazi's were to be disgraced (instead of honoured).

What a sick government we had back then, and well done to Alan Shatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

LordSutch wrote: »
    About bloody time those brave Irish men were pardoned (& honoured) for fighting against the Nazi's. Ireland must have been the only country on the planet with a twisted logic that dictated that the WWII heroes who fought the Nazi's were to be disgraced (instead of honoured).
    The logic wasn't that it was a disgrace to fight the Nazis.

If it were, the Government would simply have punished everyone living in Ireland who had fought on the British side during WWII.

Clearly, this policy was aimed at those who deserted the Irish army when that army and this jurisdiction was extremely vulnerable to foreign invasion.

Clearly, this policy was aimed at those who deserted the Irish army when that army and this jurisdiction was extremely vulnerable to foreign invasion.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wwii-irish-troops-set-for-pardons-29248191.html

Nice to see Shatter making good use of his time.

What's next? Apologise for the War of Independence?

I'm not seeing the linkage.

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the linkage.

Not sure why. Google "WWII Irish troops set for pardons"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The logic wasn't that it was a disgrace to fight the Nazis.

If it were, the Government would simply have punished everyone living in Ireland who had fought on the British side during WWII.

Except it wasnt, those who went awol and didnt join the british army were left off the list circulated telling people not to employ them.

Advertisement