Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we look back on today's society in 50 years time...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

It's the idea behind it though. Not drinking that day should be a choice for the religious...

As if that's the point you were making. You just want to be able to come out of a nightclub and go and buy drink at 4am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    As if that's the point you were making. You just want to be able to come out of a nightclub and go and buy drink at 4am...

You've yet to address why we should have this ridiculous law in place that we can't buy drink on Good Friday. If many of us, Catholics included, are going to be drinking anyway, surely we should just do away with it and let people choose what they want to do?

And there's actually nothing at all wrong with getting out of a nightclub to buy drink at 4am. Feck it, it's a Friday if that's what you want to do, enjoy yourself! Don't get how it's somehow a bad thing.

1ZRed wrote: »
    You've yet to address why we should have this ridiculous law in place that we can't buy drink on Good Friday.

Because this is a Catholic country. I don't support the law or think it's right; nor am I Catholic. However, I do think it's pathetic that people in this country get so touchy about it. Good Friday in Ireland is an excuse to go out and get pissed for just because the law says we're not allowed to. That's what I mean when I say it's sad that people have such a big problem with it. Get drunk on any of the other 364 days in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Good Friday in Ireland is an excuse to go out and get pissed for just because the law says we're not allowed to.

Except the law doesn't say you're not allowed go out and get pissed. It just says it's illegal for a supplier to sell alcohol to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You know when we look back in history at things like blacks not being able to drink at certain water fountains or eat in certain cafés, or women not being able to vote etc..

What current rules or laws etc will we be looking back on in 50 years time and wondering how the hell they were ever in place?

There are a few that jump immediately to mind for me.

1. Stopping a couple that are in love from marrying.
    Marriage itself will probably become irrelevant. (Hopefully). With the rate of divorces, and many people only marrying for citizenship/tax/pressure etc.. It's becoming less and less like the romantic gesture it was supposed to be.
    2. Telling us when we can and can't buy alcohol.
    It wouldn't shock me an awful lot if they started trying to reduce (by law) your weekly/nightly intake. Also reducing the amount of alcohol in drinks per volume.
    Vodka will probably become 5%..
    3. Priests and bishops, who were elected by nobody, having a say in anything.
    The same as anybody down the pub/on TV/in the Newspaper/Next Door Neighbour...
    It'll probably always happen, it's up to you to choose whether or not to listen to them.
    4. People getting called slutty for hooking up at a petrol station.
    Cars will be run on air and water, Oil supplies will have dried out. The earth will start becoming raisin-like, and there will be no Petrol stations for people to hook up in, eliminating the possibilities of calling them anything.
    What other stupid things exist in this country that are somewhat hard to believe?
    Leprechauns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

We wiil be up to our ar$es in snowdrifts and the ice-sheets will once again advancing south from the arctic and we will be remembering all those idiots who told us we would be sizzling........

Because this is a Catholic country. I don't support the law or think it's right; nor am I Catholic. However, I do think it's pathetic that people in this country get so touchy about it. Good Friday in Ireland is an excuse to go out and get pissed for just because the law says we're not allowed to. That's what I mean when I say it's sad that people have such a big problem with it. Get drunk on any of the other 364 days in the year.

I couldn't give a fuk if this was a Muslim country. It's about religion in this country having far too sway on matter that have nothing to do with them. The government shouldn't support it because we are a secular state. Let anyone who is not religious not drink. Boom! Problem solved.

I didn't get pissed this Good Friday, I only had a few drinks and that was it. Nothing exciting unfortunately. But it was a Friday and I was done with work, I wanted to go out for a few and enjoy myself. But that's sad apparently according to you.

Who are you to tell me to go "get drunk" on any other day of the year, it's actually so patronising and if you're calling people pathetic for wanting to head out for a few drinks, with many getting no more drunk than any other Friday night, is what's pathetic when you can't even justify it with a good reason as to why we shouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I couldn't give a fuk if this was a Muslim country. It's about religion in this country having far too sway on matter that have nothing to do with them. The government shouldn't support it because we are a secular state. Let anyone who is not religious not drink. Boom! Problem solved.

I didn't get pissed this Good Friday, I only had a few drinks and that was it. Nothing exciting unfortunately. But it was a Friday and I was done with work, I wanted to go out for a few and enjoy myself. But that's sad apparently according to you.

Who are you to tell me to go "get drunk" on any other day of the year, it's actually so patronising and if you're calling people pathetic for wanting to head out for a few drinks, with many getting no more drunk than any other Friday night, is what's pathetic when you can't even justify it with a good reason as to why we shouldn't do it.

Well....sort of but not really... it's about the law (which may or may not be driven by religion). The law says you cant be sold alcohol on Good Friday, regardless of your religion so thats that.

If you are going to pick and choose which laws you stand by and which you dont then where will that leave us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

AEDIC wrote: »
    If you are going to pick and choose which laws you stand by and which you dont then where will that leave us?

In a job as a politician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Well....sort of but not really... it's about the law (which may or may not be driven by religion). The law says you cant be sold alcohol on Good Friday, regardless of your religion so thats that.

If we had your attitude, women would not be able to own property, homosexuality would be illegal etc etc. Just because it's a law doesn't make it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is it the law?

I was under the impression it was to do with licensing regulations more so. The availability for purchasing is down right nuts, and that's not just good friday. It's the opening hours forced onto'em.

But that's sad apparently according to you.

Nope, people having a couple of drinks is fine, it isn't sad. The sad part is the way that a big deal is made of the fact we can't buy alcohol. People stock up the day before. I work part time in an off licence and it's ridiculous how many people come in the day before Good Friday and stock up on drink. That Thursday is the busiest day of the year and I think it's sad that people feel the need to stock up on drink just because there's one day in the year we can't buy it.

At the end of the day it's the law. Yeah, we are a ****ty little country that's governed by religion. We don't allow abortion or gay marriage which, in today's world, is fairly sad and pathetic. I don't agree with the way this country is run or some of the legislation that's in place but at the end of the day, we vote for who is going to run this country. They make the laws. If you don't like them then vote for somebody else. That's how democracy works right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

book into a cheap hotel for the night and you can have residents bar if you are that desperate. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why do people think that in 50 years time Ireland or anywhere else will have become some type of liberal paradise? It may be the exact opposite and in half a century people may look back and marvel at out current "ultra-liberal" views. Those not incaracerated in Room 101 that is!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That we ever let the RCC within a million miles of our children, and that we didn't kick them out of the schools and the hospitals sooner

That we didn't do enough to protect the environment (irreversible climate change and all that fun stuff)

That we didn't drastically rewrite the Constitution sooner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nope, people having a couple of drinks is fine, it isn't sad. The sad part is the way that a big deal is made of the fact we can't buy alcohol. People stock up the day before. I work part time in an off licence and it's ridiculous how many people come in the day before Good Friday and stock up on drink. That Thursday is the busiest day of the year and I think it's sad that people feel the need to stock up on drink just because there's one day in the year we can't buy it.

At the end of the day it's the law. Yeah, we are a ****ty little country that's governed by religion. We don't allow abortion or gay marriage which, in today's world, is fairly sad and pathetic. I don't agree with the way this country is run or some of the legislation that's in place but at the end of the day, we vote for who is going to run this country. They make the laws. If you don't like them then vote for somebody else. That's how democracy works right?

If the Government have such a hard on for Good Friday and this being a Catholic country, it should be a Public Holiday. Otherwise it's just bollocks.

If we had your attitude, women would not be able to own property, homosexuality would be illegal etc etc. Just because it's a law doesn't make it right.

erm.... just wow.

Laws are reformed and changed by due process, particularly ones that are 'not right'. Where have I said that laws that have been changed should have stayed as they were?

If you want the law on Selling alcohol on a Good Friday changed...become a politician, stand for government and make this your main policy and then go through the due process to have it changed once you recieve the correct support to do so.... thats due process.

Or support and vote for one that wants it changed.

So change the law and do away with it then. Make it no more special than any other Thursday in the year. Problem solved again.

In actually keeping this stupid law in place people are stocking up and drinking more, so if you don't approve then why do you support the very reason this is happening?
    This is one of the biggest problems with this country. I don't know if it's people being lazy or afraid, but nobody ever wants to challenge the laws or the government. Oh there's a heap of bitching and moaning that goes on from their armchairs, but when it comes down to it everyone seems to submit so cowardly.

So your solution is to stay put and take it instead of challenging something that is ridiculous and proven itself to have no rational purpose in the country? You say that it's just the law but if nobody ever challenged the law women wouldn't be allowed to vote, divorce wouldn't be legal, and so on, just to name a few.
    It is pathetic that we are so far behind on things but things need to be challenged to change. Sitting back moaning complacently will get fuk all achieved.

Does that make sense to you and does that sound like a justifiable reason not to do anything about this ridiculous law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

We will probably look back at how we allowed the government to have so much control over our lives.

It's not a Catholic country. The majority of the population are Catholic (on paper at least) but it's not a Catholic country.

I rarely drink but if I choose to have a drink on that particular day that should be my choice. If I own a bar/ off license on that day and wish to sell alcohol that should be my choice. The government, especially when influenced by a religion, should not have the right to make that choice.
    It's the principle that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

on the drinking, have you looked at countries that don't have time limits and such? These countries generally have LESS of a problem with alcohol.

Wonder why that is. :rolls eyes:

I think we'll be telling stories about how we used fossil fuels, and had large wild animals that weren't just in zoo's/photo's

Oh, and cities on the sea will be common practice (research is already being done to make this possible)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

double post (sorry bout that, )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

erm.... just wow.

Laws are reformed and changed by due process, particularly ones that are 'not right'. Where have I said that laws that have been changed should have stayed as they were?

If you want the law on Selling alcohol on a Good Friday changed...become a politician, stand for government and make this your main policy and then go through the due process to have it changed once you recieve the correct support to do so.... thats due process.

Or support and vote for one that wants it changed.

Erm...isn't this what you wrote?

Your opinion is that we shouldn't be allowed to buy drink on Good Friday, not because of your own personal religious reasons or because of some other logic (based on your post anyway - maybe you have other points why you feel the law should stand), but because the law is the law so "that's that".

The whole "picking and choosing" which laws we stand by is kinda my point - we do pick and choose which laws are outdated and stupid. We don't just stay complacent and say "oh the laws the law, that's that" without questioning its reason or logic.

I don't particularly care about not being able to buy drink on Good Friday. I don't want to drink just because it's Good Friday to fúck religion. But if I fancy drinking that night I'll just make sure I'm well stocked up. With the state the country is in, I think it would be a waste of money and efforts to change the law, but if there was a movement or referendum (lol) for it, I would support it. Because there's no logical reason for the law to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Probably the way gay people are still treated by some sections of society. But that will still be around. Racism hasn't exactly disappeared.

The right of people who are terminally ill to end their lives with dignity and respect.

The fact that people pay attention to faith healers/priests/bull**** artists.

The way people think it's somehow acceptable to use dehumanising words like "retard" for people that are mentally handicapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

That we ever let the RCC within a million miles of our children, and that we didn't kick them out of the schools and the hospitals sooner

That we didn't do enough to protect the environment (irreversible climate change and all that fun stuff)

That we didn't drastically rewrite the Constitution sooner

Yes. We're really going to regret this one and unfortunately, it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Exactly. I'm not religious therefore why should I have to go along with whatever they believe and have it forced on me when I don't want anything to do with them?

Everyone should have a choice to drink and those who are religious can simply not do it. That's a win/win situation.

It's not being petty and just wanting to drink, it's the principal behind it and how stupid it is to have one religion's beliefs forced on everyone.

Countering that with "it's so sad that people can't stay off the drink for 1 day a year" is nonsense and is not an argument for it. There's actually no argument for keeping good Friday's rediculous drink ban so it should be abolished. Let the religious mind their own business and let them choose to drink or not instead of deciding for all of us that we shouldn't.
    If enough people kick up a fuss and want to have Good Friday as a normal day, then it'll also be bye bye to Christmas Day and St Patrick's day :( It's funny at Christmas because people don't worry about not being able to buy alcohol on that day but stock up enough food to survive a zombie apocolyapse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dogs will be extinct and people will rejoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alright

I think due to the internet and the amount of information that's available out there society will have
    changed a lot in 2060. It's always difficult looking back at history and not judging it by todays
    standards.

People born after 2040 or so will look back and be amazed at how free and uncensored the internet was,
    how quaint and barbaric medicine was, and how slow our processors were.
    Now will be seen as the time when people started to care about the environment but not enough and
    not fast enough. Our time will be seen as a wasteful/inefficient time. The amount of natural resources that are wasted
    these days is crazy.

People will say things like...if we only had of got our fair share from the oil and gas companies off
    our coasts...or from the foreign owned mines under the old coillte lands...this country would be a different place.
    (I'm hoping that I'm wrong about this though!)

History will be judge us on: how we treated our citizens vs the banks/financial institutions, gay people and other minorities,
    the abortion issue, the church scandles, education and health reforms, and the modernisation of our state.

People will look back and be amazed at how little a pint of Guinness cost and that we complained that it was
    not available for sale 24hours a day 365 days a year :-)

Well that was cheery o_O

In the future I'll all the same but different.

Erm...isn't this what you wrote?

Your opinion is that we shouldn't be allowed to buy drink on Good Friday, not because of your own personal religious reasons or because of some other logic (based on your post anyway - maybe you have other points why you feel the law should stand), but because the law is the law so "that's that".

The whole "picking and choosing" which laws we stand by is kinda my point - we do pick and choose which laws are outdated and stupid. We don't just stay complacent and say "oh the laws the law, that's that" without questioning its reason or logic.

I don't particularly care about not being able to buy drink on Good Friday. I don't want to drink just because it's Good Friday to fúck religion. But if I fancy drinking that night I'll just make sure I'm well stocked up. With the state the country is in, I think it would be a waste of money and efforts to change the law, but if there was a movement or referendum (lol) for it, I would support it. Because there's no logical reason for the law to exist.

People that pick and choose which laws/legislation they abide by then face the full consequences of their actions....so whats your point.? It is still the law/legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If the Government have such a hard on for Good Friday and this being a Catholic country, it should be a Public Holiday. Otherwise it's just bollocks.

It is a public holiday, isn't it? Or at least it used to be when I lived in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

There's going to be a hell of a lot of boardsies on the wrong side of history, that's for sure.

And it may not necessarily be the ones you think it'd be now. The one predictable aspect of history is that it is fundamentally unpredictable.

In 50 years time I hope
    a) to be alive, well and compos mentis (though I suspect not)
    b) that when we're looking back to now, we aren't doing so from deep underground an irradiated, meteorological disaster zone while robot death squads patrol the surface looking for us.

Advertisement