Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we look back on today's society in 50 years time...

Options
  • 06-05-2013 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

You know when we look back in history at things like blacks not being able to drink at certain water fountains or eat in certain cafés, or women not being able to vote etc..

What current rules or laws etc will we be looking back on in 50 years time and wondering how the hell they were ever in place?

There are a few that jump immediately to mind for me.

1. Stopping a couple that are in love from marrying.
    2. Telling us when we can and can't buy alcohol.
    3. Priests and bishops, who were elected by nobody, having a say in anything.
    4. People getting called slutty for hooking up at a petrol station.

What other stupid things exist in this country that are somewhat hard to believe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

You know when we look back in history at things like blacks not being able to drink at certain water fountains or eat in certain cafés, or women not being able to vote etc..

What current rules or laws etc will we be looking back on in 50 years time and wondering how the hell they were ever in place?

What other stupid things exist in this country that are somewhat hard to believe?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I will be old and saying how great thing were compared to 2060s Ireland.

"Back in my day, we had so called smart phones. You with your fancy-shmancy implanted mobile device. Times were simpler back then, I tells ya."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

As in pubs / clubs? Or off licences? Probably not the worst law around. I imagine at the time of the smoking ban people found it outrageous too, but it has worked out just fine!

Agree with the priests and bishops part however. I have a feeling that in 50 years time, we will look back and think how their power existed at all (I fancy it all to dwindle rapidly)

When Im in my 70's, I want to give out about hovercrafts "Look at ye with your goddamn hovercrafts, back in my day, we walked or had skateboards, goddamn hippies"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I mean off licences more so. Ridiculous that we are told when we are allowed to buy drink. Just think about that notion for a second. We can go into and buy a pallet of vodka but just not on a Sunday morning or after 10pm, or on Good Friday...jaysus. It's madness when you really think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

They will be saying omg, we rocked! Despite there having been none.

They will <3 us.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

IM0 wrote: »

He means gay marriage. Which I personally believe is equal rights gone too far. Marraige is completely irrelevant if you're gay as the main point of marriage is to provide father's rights. Since (male) gay couples usually only adopt, the rights are enshrined in law anyway. What a pointless piece of legislation that will be.

It should be illegal to express an opinion?

If you're that desperate for it then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He means gay marriage. Which I personally believe is equal rights gone too far. Marraige is completely irrelevant if you're gay as the main point of marriage is to provide father's rights. Since (male) gay couples usually only adopt, the rights are enshrined in law anyway. What a pointless piece of legislation that will be.

Wha?

It should be illegal to express an opinion?

Where did I say it should be illegal to express an opinion? You sound like one of these people that go around starting arguments for no real reason, regardless of whether you care about the topic or not.

And please tell me what desperation has to do with the government telling us when we can and cannot buy something. Are you an idiot?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No. It isn't.
    Have a read of the marriage legislation and please then tell me where it states this?

By this logic a marriage is only a marriage where there are biological children which will come as a surprise to married couples who do not have biological children.

How can equality go 'too far'? Equal is equal...:confused:

Hopefully in 50 years times we will look back and wonder why the hell we left the RCC have so much control over our education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are presuming that anything remotely bad for your health will be legal in 50 years time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

What are you talking bollox for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We will be wondering why this country was not a united Ireland years ago :D:):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

how we managed without robots wiping our arses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

This thread made me think of this....

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gay_marriage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

We'll probably be wondering how are the Politicians still getting away with it?

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anarchy is all we can really hope for. and tea. Anarchy and tea, please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I mean off licences more so. Ridiculous that we are told when we are allowed to buy drink. Just think about that notion for a second. We can go into and buy a pallet of vodka but just not on a Sunday morning or after 10pm, or on Good Friday...jaysus. It's madness when you really think about it.

Good Friday is 1 day out of 365 that you can't buy alcohol. It's sad that people in this country have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    Good Friday is 1 day out of 365 that you can't buy alcohol. It's sad that people in this country have a problem with it.

It's the idea behind it though. Not drinking that day should be a choice for the religious...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

IM0 wrote: »

he is referring to gay marriages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

It's the idea behind it though. Not drinking that day should be a choice for the religious...

You can drink on that day... you just cant purchase alcohol on that day, so you have as much choice as your own planning will allow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭BlimpGaz

Paedophilia will be legalized, right in time for me 84th birthday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think you mean black people.
    1. Stopping a couple that are in love from marrying

Any couple in love? So a brother and sister become husband and wife?
    Meh.....If I want alcohol at odd times of the day or night I'll just remember to have some in the fridge. I don't expect people and businesses to cater to my every whim.
    So presumably no GAA club chairman could have a say in their club or sport in their community or...well...."anything" as you say, either?
    Not slutty - heros is what I call those people. Up against the pine tree air fresheners! Oh yeah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭BlimpGaz

Female much?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, It's not so much about desperation. It's not wanting to appear desperate. There's many other goods avail to us 24x7 if the shops are willing to stay open for it. Its nuts that an Off License has to be open for certain times only.

I've a mate who works odd hours during the week and as a result is only able to buy alcohol on Saturday/Sundays. He ends up buying crates at a time, because if he only feels like 1 or 2 on a Tuesday after work, he can't buy them.

It's nuts having to buy a lot of drink at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Having to wait 4 years for a divorce in Ireland... shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about gay marriage?.As in totally indifferent to the situation altogether.Everytime the topic comes up wherever I am,it seems both sides either call you anti or pro gay marriage if you honestly don't give a crap.

Don't care = homophobic
    Or
    Don't care = liberal hippy
    Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

We'll probably still be making threads wondering what people fifty years from then will think of the world when looking back to fifty years from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Exactly. I'm not religious therefore why should I have to go along with whatever they believe and have it forced on me when I don't want anything to do with them?

Everyone should have a choice to drink and those who are religious can simply not do it. That's a win/win situation.

It's not being petty and just wanting to drink, it's the principal behind it and how stupid it is to have one religion's beliefs forced on everyone.

Countering that with "it's so sad that people can't stay off the drink for 1 day a year" is nonsense and is not an argument for it. There's actually no argument for keeping good Friday's rediculous drink ban so it should be abolished. Let the religious mind their own business and let them choose to drink or not instead of deciding for all of us that we shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

There's going to be a hell of a lot of boardsies on the wrong side of history, that's for sure.

Advertisement