Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this common practice in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I have the info I was looking for.

It was just a curiosity thing really. I was thinking about using it as a detail in a story.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mods can close thread if they wish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

On a recent visit to Germany I was told that the church contribution was 10% of your tax payments.

Many formally resigning from their churches over this

I recall that in Northern Ireland up to the sixties that cash contributions were made to the church by those attending mass. The amounts of contributions were called out by the priest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

nuac wrote: »
    On a recent visit to Germany I was told that the church contribution was 10% of your tax payments.

I recall that in Northern Ireland up to the sixties that cash contributions were made to the church by those attending mass. The amounts of contributions were called out by the priest

Some churches in NI used to publish all the contributions by members along with ther home addresses. I imagine this practice has stopped due to data protection legislation.

But in some Scandinavian countries, the government collects church taxes and pass them on to the church of which you're a member. I remember hearing that churches could refuse to do funerals if you weren't paid up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The rate depends on where you live and 10% of tax paid is at the upper end (9% I think is tops). There is an interesting bit about it on public Reuters here

I recall in Dublin in the 60's that the priest would say 'the collection last Sunday for ( x - fill in whatever collection was for) amounted to £xSyDz but names were never mentioned. At the weekend I asked the oldest Catholic person I know (93 yrs) if she recalled it and was told she'd heard of it being done but never experienced it in her lifetime in Cork or Dublin). I'm sur O'Shea will have something about it in his book and I will be able to check it later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Throughout history Churches always were supported by their communities, from ‘St. Peter’s Pence’ to Tithes and existed legally in Ireland right up to the disestablishment of the CoI in 1869. Parish support always existed, ‘Bridal’ derives from Bride-Ale, ale brewed by several and donated to the church for the wedding feast.
    Wrong, and wrong again.

Tithes were imposed on the entire population regardless of whether they were members of the Church of Ireland faith or not (the vast majority weren't). Tithes were simply a form of taxation, but the entire proceeds went to a minority Church.

Bride-ale was not donated to the Church for the wedding feast. Nothing of the sort. It was merely the ale brewed for the feast. It had nothing to do with the Church. Perhaps you are confusing it with the English tradition of Church-Ale or Parish-Ale? A community celebration often used to raise funds for the Church.

My mother told me the story of the parish priest insisting that she stand at the alter holding a collection basket during the funeral mass for her brother who had died in a motorcycle accident. The proceeds were for the Church.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Coles wrote: »
    Wrong, and wrong again.

Tithes were imposed on the entire population regardless of whether they were members of the Church of Ireland faith or not (the vast majority weren't). Tithes were simply a form of taxation, but the entire proceeds went to a minority Church.
    Your generalising specific aspects of the Irish system 18th & 19th cen which isn't correct. Tithes were a very widespread system and like what exists now in Germany but generally it is a church tax. Irish church of Ireland set-up was atypical.
    Coles wrote: »
    My mother told me the story of the parish priest insisting that she stand at the alter holding a collection basket during the funeral mass for her brother who had died in a motorcycle accident. The proceeds were for the Church.
    To me that just sounds just like any and every mass. the basket is passed around and then left at the alter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Slightly different angle, but (mild) pressure is still put on people to have 'stations' in the house in rural areas.

Elderly people are giving them up, as they can't cope with all the preparations/influx of visitors and non-farming households simply aren't bothering in most cases. Don't know if there's a fee involved, perhaps the older priests are trying to keep the practice from dying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

robp wrote: »
    Your generalising specific aspects of the Irish system 18th & 19th cen which isn't correct.
    I'm not sure what your point is or what specific thing you feel is incorrect.

To me that just sounds just like any and every mass. the basket is passed around and then left at the alter.
    A grieving relative was made stand at the alter so that the attendees of the mass would have no alternative than to show their respect for the deceased by offering money to the Church. Of course the total donations were then revealed at the following mass. It was an inhuman thing to do to a grieving family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Slightly different angle, but (mild) pressure is still put on people to have 'stations' in the house in rural areas.

Elderly people are giving them up, as they can't cope with all the preparations/influx of visitors and non-farming households simply aren't bothering in most cases. Don't know if there's a fee involved, perhaps the older priests are trying to keep the practice from dying out.

Fee was called petrol money, and your name was called out at every station and you placed an envelope on the table.

No naming and shaming that I can recall

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Many areas hold stations. Mass held in house, breakfast laid on. some parishes seek to keep the breakfast to a cup of tea and toast. Housowner might give the priest a donation

In the dim distant and innocent past when I was a mass server, assignments to a station mass were prized. Good tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dob73 wrote: »
    Unfortunately organisations can't run on fresh air and guff about riches of the church are a bit of nonsense.

Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispin

I personaly remember there was a small table at the back of the church during a funeral for donations for the priest.This went on for years until about 1970. At one particular funeral of a man who left behind a widow and a large young family.One of the parisioners collected all the money bar a £5 note and handed it to the widow. That put a stop to that practice in my parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

In the dim distant and innocent past when I was a mass server, assignments to a station mass were prized. Good tips

And don't forget the 1/2 day off school

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I asked my father about this and it was common in our parish up until well into the 80's and maybe early 90's. The priest would read out a list of what people gave and would stop and pause before any larger donations from wealthy farmers to emphasise their generosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

I remember those collections in the 1950s and 60s where the Priest read the collection takings from the altar by Townslands, then by individual households whithin that townsland. You could hear a mouse breathe in the church while the names and relevant amounts given were being read out.
    The collections were the Easter Dues, and the annual Priest's Housekeeper Collection.
    The clergy were very clever in that they pitted townsland against townsland, farmer against farmer, labourer's family against labourer's family, as the 'faithful' vied to outdo their neighbor in the generosity game.
    My poor auld Ma used to feel that her 5 shillings and sixpence was never enough, but t'was a lot of money back then.
    Yes, the Clergy knew enough to pit people against each other for their own financial gain, a ploy our recent Government/s are practicing nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 criostoir o bradaigh

In the 60s and 70s a list of all contributors to the major collections (Christmas,Easter etc) was read from the altar at ea mass.In our mass station area I can recall Canon Mahon as follows, X Y and Z £1,b 10 shillings (old pre 1970 money) not good enough!

Advertisement