Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this common practice in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I hope I'm in the right forum for this.

I was recently chatting to an older relative who told me in the 70s, the priest, once a year, used to read out who gave what to the local parish/ church funds.

Did this really happen and was it meant as a kind of naming and shaming or what was the purpose of it?

Any info is appreciated. I find it interesting in a social history kind of way.

Cheers boardies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

In cobh in the sixties they read your name out every Sunday till you paid up , me mother was morto by all accounts but my Father was a right bolshy bastard and left the priest to read away

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

haha fair play to your Da. I'm in my 20s and can't imagine this happening.

Was there a set amount all had to pay?

Was it a once off payment?

When did the practice stop?

I tried googling it and found nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yep - we had a parish priest who used to read out the list of who gave what each week. Happened up until the mid-1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Yep. My grandfather got a firm reading out for giving the same amount two years in a row. Apparently the priest felt a pay rise was in order. My grandfather moved parishes in disgust

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Heydeldel wrote: »
    I hope I'm in the right forum for this.

I was recently chatting to an older relative who told me in the 70s, the priest, once a year, used to read out who gave what to the local parish/ church funds.

Did this really happen and was it meant as a kind of naming and shaming or what was the purpose of it?

Any info is appreciated. I find it interesting in a social history kind of way.

Cheers boardies.
    I am too young to remember it happening in Ireland but I have seen it occurring aboard. Its not unique to Ireland. I think its actually about simple acknowledgement of a donation and calling it shaming is incorrect. It wasn't a set amount as it is a donation and not a tax. Church taxes occur in central Europe but not Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Personally I cannot remember it happening, but then again we were on the poor side, more reliable on the basic but effective services that the Church provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

not so much the weekly collection, but the 'summer dues' (whatever that was, yearly collection) was read out in my parish untill i stopped going about 12 years ago, probably still is...

20 pound seemed to be the norm, from what i remember, but i do remember a couple of '50 pounds' being read out, and once 'fifty pence'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

locally here they send you a pack of envelopes so your donation can be anonymously.....they have a serial number though and it's always the same number we get.....they go STRAIGHT IN THE BIN

Thanks, interesting stuff. I don't understand why a yearly payment was necessary seeing as there are two collections during each mass.

You'd think the Vatican hadn't a penny.

Thanks, interesting stuff. I don't understand why a yearly payment was necessary seeing as there are two collections during each mass.

You'd think the Vatican hadn't a penny.

I don't recall two collections typically. One is the norm. It pays for the entire Irish catholic church from the living costs of priests to organisations like Trocaire and school funding. The Irish church is self financing at the diocese level and they don't receive money from Rome. Rome wouldn't even be in a position to do this as the actual budget of Rome would be minuscule compared to national budget of churches in many countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I recall hearing the name of a local girl who had given birth outside marriage inferred from the pulpit on one occasion.
    The same parish has had two priests named as pedophiles in later years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

dail members should start doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I heard of a priest doing this at a relative's parish church in the Donegal Gaeltacht in the 1960s/1970s. But it wasn't for the weekly collection; it was for the annual dues which were always understood to be for the priest's remuneration anyway.

This was an envelope containing a voluntary contribution that was always supposed to be on a "from each according to their means" basis. But in this rural parish, the priest liked to publicise what each family was giving, just to encourage along those who might have had a guilty twinge.

My relative always insisted on sending his in anonymously. Given the size of the parish, people were able to work out if they wanted (the very idea!) who the few anonymous donors were. But I believe it caught on as a general practice, so gradually it became more difficult to find out who was giving what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Some protestant churches still send around a circular with details of what people gave to the parish. I think this is unnecessary in this day and age.

Thanks for all the replies. An interesting practice.

I just wanted to get a range of views.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the replies. An interesting practice.

I just wanted to get a range of views.

Cheers.

It happened up until the mid 70's in rural areas. It was for the annual Priests dues. It was an awful thing to sit through. I remember squirming with embarrassment for the poor families who had nothing, scraping together £20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

They do that in presbyterian churches aswell as publishing a book. I dont think they do that in catholic churches, I have never seen that and the ones ive been to the donations are anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember this old guy who ued to call at our door for the weekly '' church devotion payment '' and the pleasure I used to get from saying '' oh sorry , mum and dad aren't here at the moement '' but it wasn't that my parents didn't sometimes leave the envelope with the few shillings in , it was just that A - they weren't die hard catholics and B - they had more important things to deal with than the weekly revenue of the Catholic church funds and hindsight proves how clued in and right they were. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

How factual are the comments above?
    Since the 1960’s I’ve lived in several RC parishes in Dublin, Cork and Kerry and never encountered ‘naming and shaming’ over non-payment of Christmas and Easter Dues. When living in the US, the local church suggested an annual minimum amount per adult ($500) which supported the priests and church maintenance. I never lived in Germany, but there the tax authorities levy an additional 8 or 9% on the income tax amount paid and give it to the nominated churches.

AFAIK ‘naming’ in Ireland was uncommon beyond the 1800’s – I know of one row on a ‘naming’ incident in the late 1800’s in Tipperary (Moyne?) and the bishop intervened and put a stop to that practice but did not ask the priest to apologise (I’m away from my books for a couple of weeks, have to wait to check details).

Why not give a few quid to a church? Are you that mean? The ‘Dues’ are the funds on which a priest lives; how many of those who did not (or do not) contribute expected their local priest to come out in the middle of the night to administer a dying relative? How many more expected the priest to move his calendar to suit their wedding day or baptismal requirements?

Throughout history Churches always were supported by their communities, from ‘St. Peter’s Pence’ to Tithes and existed legally in Ireland right up to the disestablishment of the CoI in 1869. Parish support always existed, ‘Bridal’ derives from Bride-Ale, ale brewed by several and donated to the church for the wedding feast.

Using a ‘club’ analogy, would you expect to use (or be allowed to use) the club facilities (bar, changing rooms, etc) if your annual subscription was in arrears? What would Ben Dunne say to you if you rocked up to one of his gyms and your membership was unpaid?

Since the 1960’s I’ve lived in several RC parishes in Dublin, Cork and Kerry and never encountered ‘naming and shaming’ over non-payment of Christmas and Easter Dues. When living in the US, the local church suggested an annual minimum amount per adult ($500) which supported the priests and church maintenance. I never lived in Germany, but there the tax authorities levy an additional 8 or 9% on the income tax amount paid and give it to the nominated churches.

AFAIK ‘naming’ in Ireland was uncommon beyond the 1800’s – I know of one row on a ‘naming’ incident in the late 1800’s in Tipperary (Moyne?) and the bishop intervened and put a stop to that practice but did not ask the priest to apologise (I’m away from my books for a couple of weeks, have to wait to check details).

Why not give a few quid to a church? Are you that mean? The ‘Dues’ are the funds on which a priest lives; how many of those who did not (or do not) contribute expected their local priest to come out in the middle of the night to administer a dying relative? How many more expected the priest to move his calendar to suit their wedding day or baptismal requirements?

Throughout history Churches always were supported by their communities, from ‘St. Peter’s Pence’ to Tithes and existed legally in Ireland right up to the disestablishment of the CoI in 1869. Parish support always existed, ‘Bridal’ derives from Bride-Ale, ale brewed by several and donated to the church for the wedding feast.

Using a ‘club’ analogy, would you expect to use (or be allowed to use) the club facilities (bar, changing rooms, etc) if your annual subscription was in arrears? What would Ben Dunne say to you if you rocked up to one of his gyms and your membership was unpaid?

Believe me, it happened. It went like this: "Mr John Murphy, Ballygobackwards, £20, Mr Dick Murphy, Ballygoaway, £5" and so on. We were always amazed that the 'Big' farmers paid as much as the 'small' ones. It was a case of shaming people into paying. If memory serves me right, it went on until the late 1970's, if not early 80's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

the parish priest out in suncroft did this a few years back. No more than 10 years ago.

This is the same priest that takes collections at weddings and funerals and drives a new suv.

Before we stopped going to mass we swiftly moved to a different church.

Believe me, it happened. It went like this: "Mr John Murphy, Ballygobackwards, £20, Mr Dick Murphy, Ballygoaway, £5" and so on. We were always amazed that the 'Big' farmers paid as much as the 'small' ones. It was a case of shaming people into paying. If memory serves me right, it went on until the late 1970's, if not early 80's

Its not as is we have to dig deep into memories of the 70s. I have seen it occur 3 years ago abroad and there was very little shaming going on. I also know of free newspapers who did this till 3 odd years ago and there was nothing subversive about it. I have no doubt that the odd manipulative priest or pastor might exploit it but its outlandish to interpret shaming as the fundamental intention. I wouldn't support the practise but I wouldn't agree with such revisionist attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Did this really happen
    Yes it did
    and was it meant as a kind of naming and shaming or what was the purpose of it?
    Yes it was

And the priest wasn't shy about thumping the pulpit and telling parishoners that they should be paying 10% of their income to the church - a hark back to the days of the tithes.

The same parish priest used to drive around in the only sportscar in the town.
    You poor delusional fool

The problem with your assertion is that there are actually people on this forum who are witnesses to these antics by the church.

Yes it did

Yes it was

And the priest wasn't shy about thumping the pulpit and telling parishoners that they should be paying 10% of their income to the church - a hark back to the days of the tithes.

You poor delusional fool

The problem with your assertion is that there are actually people on this forum who are witnesses to these antics by the church.

What assertion? I did not make one, I asked a simple question; so far I have not been given any proof - there have been random comments like 'a few years ago .... or ...........I heard of a priest...........or....... a priest in Suncroft a few years back........or .... priest used to drive around in the only sportscar in the town......or ...drives a new suv.

Imprecise or puerile off-topic answers, rather like your own inane (and personally abusive) post.

FWIW I don't approve of any 'naming' practice, I never encountered it anywhere since the 1950's (not that I am a regular churchgoer) which is why I asked the questions. NOBODY has yet given an answer with evidence that would stand up (beyond the type of 'duirt bean liom etc.') Pathetic responses really; if you and several others feel that strongly about 'naming & shaming' and it it took place with the regularity you assert, surely you can at least provide a name, date, place. Basic evidential stuff, pass-level history, not the BS to date. :rolleyes:

Yes it was
    Actually that is most unlikely. Acknowledgement is far plausible. Generally mannerly people thank people who donate.

Which parish was that now?
    You poor delusional fool
    Lay off the abuse please.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

I've never heard it happen personally, but years ago my father told me about it happening many years ago, and about how the priest used to list people of similar stature and perceived wealth in the community together, and emphasise their sometimes wildly differing donations. It was a pretty shameful attempt at generating a kind of rivalry to give a bigger donation among the locals. The listing of donations happened a couple of time a year usually the week after some offerings or other were due, the amount each family gave was called out to the entire congregation. We are from a pretty rural parish and this would have been in the 70's my father seen it.

@pedroeibar1

Obviously my post is just another someone said kind of post, but at this time it is the only kind of evidence there will be, it stopped in my parish before my time over 35 years ago, so eyewitness evidence from people who remember it is all there will be at this stage, I've heard it enough from different sources to be pretty convinced it happened until relatively recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

You poor delusional fool

Any more of this will lead to a ban.

Moderator.

@pedroeibar1

Obviously my post is just another someone said kind of post, but at this time it is the only kind of evidence there will be, it stopped in my parish before my time over 35 years ago, so eyewitness evidence from people who remember it is all there will be at this stage, I've heard it enough from different sources to be pretty convinced it happened until relatively recently.

I know it happened, I've already said that. My question is WHEN did it stop? Some posters say it was going on until recently, but nobody had proffered basic evidence. Maybe it happened as recently as you say (35 yrs ago) but I do not believe it did with regularity. I'm not talking about being 'denounced' from the pulpit, which happened until relatively recently, - it was done (at a Ballina mass) to Mary Robinson because she supported contraception back in the late 60's /early '70's).

Even the Jolly Red Giant in his post ignored (and continues to ignore) my question, which is amusing, given his own pontifical comment elsewhere '(History) ....... is about analysing and questioning - forming an opinion and backing it up with evidence. You will be asked questions and you answer them by giving your opinion and backing it up with evidence.' So much for those opinions.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dob73

Yes it happened. In our parish up to 1994, when the old parish priest retired. He read the names addresses and amount donated over two Sundays. He did say in his previous parish that it was done in a book that could be read in the front of the church and people from outside the parish often visited to check it out. However this priest was a very humble and pious man who never took holidays or bought new cars and was always available to the parishioners.
    Unfortunately organisations can't run on fresh air and guff about riches of the church are a bit of nonsense. Buildings and art works are really communal property that have passed down through the generations for our benefit and I don't begrudge the church them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes it happened, my mother often speaks of it, both in her home parish in Waterford and then in Cork up to the mid-seventies.

Advertisement