Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Sands R.I.P. 5th May 1981

Options
  • 05-05-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭

Loved by many, scorned by a few but remembered by all.

How this country could do with someone like Bobby now.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn’t want to be broken."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

R.I.P A true Irish warrior
    Gone but not forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

A lot of countries could do with Bobby now. There's too much corruption, too many have sold out their country for money and high positions. Many paid to stay silent. Imperialism has more recently targeted Africa. Nations and countries worldwide remain in a constant battle against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn’t want to be broken."
    And then he went and starved himself to death. Sounds like a broken man to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Phoebas wrote: »

great reasoning there :rolleyes:

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

They had torture but they choose not to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Phoebas wrote: »
    Starvation is a pretty horrible way to go, and it takes enormous effort to force yourself through it; so, whatever personal/political criticisms people may have of Bobby Sands, it has to be admired, the sheer determination, integrity of personal principles, and incredible willpower that it takes, to tortuously starve yourself to death over two months, in protest.

There aren't a whole lot of people who have both 1: the level of self-determination and willpower needed to be capable of that, or 2: the strength of belief in principals, and personal dedication to them, required in order to actually voluntarily choose that fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    They had torture but they choose not to use it.

If they'd have started torturing Republican prisoners routinely (they already used torture in some cases) the backlash would have been even worse than what happened after the hunger strikers.

There was a large Irish diaspora to be worried about in the UK and considerable support for Republicans that would have been even more energized had they dared.

They knew better than to kick that hornets nest.

If they'd have started torturing Republican prisoners routinely (they already used torture in some cases) the backlash would have been even worse than what happened after the hunger strikers.

There was a large Irish diaspora to be worried about in the UK and considerable support for Republicans that would have been even more energized had they dared.

They knew better than to kick that hornets nest.
    I'm not saying they would have done it, I'm pointing out the quote was wrong.

I'm pointing out the quote was wrong.

You can't say it was wrong, you see, because the only way of proving if the quote was wrong would be to set up a replicable experiment where Bobby Sands could have lived over-and-over again and 50% of the time he was tortured (to what ends?) and 50% of the time he was let be. After this incredible experiment if Bobby sands had 'broke' more times than not we might be able to draw the conclusion on whether the quote was wrong or not.

Now I know you have a penchant for alternate realities but let's just work with the reality we have instead of those you'd like to conjure to underpin your dogma.

In short, you don't even understand what you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Bobby and his comrades died for political status, only for it to be later to be used and sold as a bargaining chip in the GFA negotiations.
    At the stroke of a pen, Republican prisoners in the North lost their political status in 1998.
    Now, it's not just Tories who criminalise Republican prisoners, it's " New SF" Ministers as well.

A travesty how it all turned out, and one has to wonder if they died in vain.
    Certainly seems like it in my opinion.
    Incidentally, the family of Bobby Sands have been fighting for years to try and stop SF from profiteering on Bobbys writings and merchandise etc.

You can't say it was wrong, you see, because the only way of proving if the quote was wrong would be to set up a replicable experiment where Bobby Sands could have lived over-and-over again and 50% of the time he was tortured (to what ends?) and 50% of the time he was let be. After this incredible experiment if Bobby sands had 'broke' more times than not we might be able to draw the conclusion on whether the quote was wrong or not.

Now I know you have a penchant for alternate realities but let's just work with the reality we have instead of those you'd like to conjure to underpin your dogma.

In short, you don't even understand what you are saying.
    You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Everyone breaks under sustained torture. Everyone. Stop talking crap about alternate realities this is a serious subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Everyone breaks under sustained torture. Everyone.

Even people who are willing to sacrifice their lives for their cause? So they can be tortured into not not sacrificing their lives? More rubbish.
    Stop talking crap about alternate realities

I'll make it simple for you. When you say 'should have' and 'would have' you make an assertion about your beliefs of what might have happened in some alternative universe. Why should anyone give a shit about your beliefs? The fact that you present your beliefs as some sort of rational argument is only evidence of your own poor reasoning.
    Violence would have broken out over the national issue anyway.

Belief.
    Do you agree with my statement that anything that was achieved in Northern Ireland up this day could have been achieved peacefully?

Belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Starvation is a pretty horrible way to go, and it takes enormous effort to force yourself through it; so, whatever personal/political criticisms people may have of Bobby Sands, it has to be admired, the sheer determination, integrity of personal principles, and incredible willpower that it takes, to tortuously starve yourself to death over two months, in protest.

There aren't a whole lot of people who have both 1: the level of self-determination and willpower needed to be capable of that, or 2: the strength of belief in principals, and personal dedication to them, required in order to actually voluntarily choose that fate.
    There's no doubting his level of determination, but it doesn't have to be admired at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Going to break this republican circlejerk by reminding people the man was a terrorist and doesn't deserve his martyr status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They will not criminalise us, rob us of our true identity, steal our individualism, depoliticise us, churn us out as systemised, institutionalised, decent law-abiding robots. We refuse to lie here in dishonor! We are not criminals, but Irishmen! This is the crime of which we stand accused. Never will they label our liberation struggle as criminal!

R.I.P Bobby.

codladh go maith mo chara.

fgoig to break this republican circlejerk by reminding people the man was a terrorist and doesn't deserve his martyr status.

The man wasn't a terrorist. The British themselves conceded to this fact when they ultimately granted political status to the prisoners.

Based on this alone, Your post couldn't be further from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Going to break this republican circlejerk by reminding people the man was a terrorist and doesn't deserve his martyr status.

Just out of interest, if you were forced to live as a second class citizen, not afforded any protection by the state and watched your family come under attack and be burned out of your house would you continue to bend over

SamHall wrote: »
    The man wasn't a terrorist. The British themselves conceded to this fact when they ultimately granted political status to the prisoners.

Based on this alone, Your post couldn't be further from the truth.

He was a Provo, a member of a terrorist organization. In my eyes he's a terrorist and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

common criminal who committed suicide, don't see what the big deal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

He was a Provo, a member of a terrorist organization. In my eyes he's a terrorist and nothing more.

The biggest terrorists this country has ever seen were the british. How do you define "terrorist" ?

The biggest terrorists this country has ever seen were the british. How do you define "terrorist" ?

A member of an illegal organization that conducts a campaign of terror.

common criminal who committed suicide, don't see what the big deal is.

The fact that you admit that you can't see what the big deal is confirms your ignorance of the topic.

A member of an illegal organization that conducts a campaign of terror.

Fine,so are you saying the British never conducted a campaign if terror in this country?

Fine,so are you saying the British never conducted a campaign if terror in this country?

Well no they didnt. Their operations in NI did not include the objective of a campaign of terror.

Well no they didnt. Their operations in NI did not include the objective of a campaign of terror.

Well you are very blinded then.

Well you are very blinded then.

I could level the same accusation at you.

I could level the same accusation at you.

Are you seriously saying the British never terrorised catholic communities in the north?

• Advertisement

You've heard about bloody Sunday, right? (For starters)

Advertisement