Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best barber's/hairdressers in Ireland for a Man's haircut?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Good point, any reccomendations?

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

The Natural Cut on Wicklow Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

cson wrote: »
    Grafton Barber for me; but specifically the Asian guy that works in the Jervis Branch. No messing, tell him what you want and he'll do it. No forced chit chat either which is a pet hate of mine. I'll happily pay €20 a month knowing exactly what I'm getting rather than spin the haircut roulette wheel for those €5 butcher jobs.

The student deal there for €9 is cracking value imo.

Hehe, funny to look back on this. That lad if you get him is excellent but as for everything else about the Grafton Barber - its an overpriced franchise with a lot of ****e barbers. It's worth about €9 if you've the student card, do not for a second consider giving them >€20. Far far better options out there.
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    I have decided i want to get some sort of style on my hair as opposed ot the "whatever way it falls" approach it has now.

Where is best for going in and asking them to reccomend a style?

Waldorf all the way if you can afford it - €32 but its the best haircut in Dublin imo.

Butcher Barber; I get the handiness of the appointment system but it's so so average for €30. Trying way too hard to be different to justify the price.

The Grooming Rooms - same as Butcher; €15 haircut masquerading as a €30 haircut. Again, trying to be fancy for the sake of being fancy. Staff don't have much of a clue tbh.

If you don't want to break the bank then Bedford Stuy do excellent cuts for the price (€16). Not quite the attention to detail of the Waldorf but pretty damn close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

cson wrote: »
    Hehe, funny to look back on this. That lad if you get him is excellent but as for everything else about the Grafton Barber - its an overpriced franchise with a lot of ****e barbers. It's worth about €9 if you've the student card, do not for a second consider giving them >€20. Far far better options out there.

Waldorf all the way if you can afford it - €32 but its the best haircut in Dublin imo.

Butcher Barber; I get the handiness of the appointment system but it's so so average for €30. Trying way too hard to be different to justify the price.

The Grooming Rooms - same as Butcher; €15 haircut masquerading as a €30 haircut. Again, trying to be fancy for the sake of being fancy. Staff don't have much of a clue tbh.

If you don't want to break the bank then Bedford Stuy do excellent cuts for the price (€16). Not quite the attention to detail of the Waldorf but pretty damn close.

Agree with a lot of the above:

Waldorf - On a day when there are'nt many in the queue, then you will get a classy haircut, guaranteed!!! Must admit my hair has been thinning the last few years and was looking for a place to get a nice cut. Barbers in the Waldorf are very knowledgeable and friendly and even get a head massage, which is great :) on my first time in there. When it is busy, they can fly through and sometimes it does feel a littled bit rushed and attention to detail can be missed a little , happened on 2 further ocassions. But if your looking for a good chat in pleasant retro surroundings, then you cant go wrong with the Waldorf

The Grooming Rooms - Avoid, i put a review up on yelp that was taken down and then i got it put back up, as i highlighted that they dont carry out fully what they mention on their website. The set up of the place is lovely, pleasant surroundings, waiting rooms where you can make tea/coffe. The barbers booths are tastfully laid out with mini tv (sky sports). But as you said the barbers havent a clue , even though they say on website "consultation, hair and conditioning" , I mentioned my hair (consultation, style she could suggest!!!) to the barber and she grunted back, "nothing i could do" , head submerged into water followed by air flicking with a scissors , hardly any cutting at all and for €35 is brutal, seriously avoid!!

Bedford Stuy - Now my regular, not just price but the lads in there are great and sound, know the type of cut you want and dont bs you, attention to detail is fantastic and they also go mention what styles suit and dont (compared to the grunt in the grooming rooms!!). Can be busy on some ocassions and there can be a queue for the headowner who does an amazing haircut but overall and for €16 best barbers in town, highly recommended!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

The Merchant Barber in Temple Bar. Outstanding service and give you exactly what you ask for. If you don't know what to ask for, just ask what do they recommend. You won't be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Just cuts or whatever it is on the Quays beside O Connell Street is the best hair cut for under €10. Its €8 all week and they are incredible good with blade cuts eg 4 or 6 blade. Some places no matter how many times they trim it, they always leave a ton of longer hairs than others and you always notice when you have gone home. But all the staff in there are really good. And there is no BS forced conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The Waldorf is hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I suppose this is a good place to ask, as my hair is thinning (quite a bit now :( ) on top I think its time to get it cut fairly short, some type of buzz cut. When you get one of them do you usually get it cut shorter at the sides/back than on top? Like a 5 and then a six on top? I want something short but also professional looking for work (aka I dont want the skinhead in a suit look lol)

Part of a good barber is that they can help you decide what style to get but I was badly led astray once in the past so I want to have an idea of what I want before heading in so any advice on styles would be appreciated (I would always get a trim, I never really bothered with any type of specific cut or style)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I suppose this is a good place to ask, as my hair is thinning (quite a bit now :( ) on top I think its time to get it cut fairly short, some type of buzz cut. When you get one of them do you usually get it cut shorter at the sides/back than on top? Like a 5 and then a six on top? I want something short but also professional looking for work (aka I dont want the skinhead in a suit look lol)

Part of a good barber is that they can help you decide what style to get but I was badly led astray once in the past so I want to have an idea of what I want before heading in so any advice on styles would be appreciated (I would always get a trim, I never really bothered with any type of specific cut or style)

I suppose you'd probably need a qualified hairdresser to answer this question, but been in a similar situation like yourself, where my hair is thinning a bit, going from crown down to front,my hair sort of has an uneven look in its shape and style .In the past i use to get with a razor , number 2 on the sides and 3 on top, which was ok, but actually made me (a) look a lot older and (b) actually exposed the thinning hair even more so on my scalp when in comparison to the tight cut at the sides and back.

But in the Waldorf and Bedford Stuy (best place to go) , when i mentioned it to look for a decent cut and style, the guys there put in similar suggestions by cutting the hair on top , not too tight and layering it in with the aid of cut throat razor and scissors to the sides and back, where it doesnt show that uneven look and shapes nicely on my head. I cant complain , im happy with it, despite the thinning hair situation. Obviously this might not suit everyone as theres different styles but thats what i get and im happy with it (Still though i wouldnt mind opting for the hair transplant like whats in the ads for HRBR, if i could only afford it ) :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

The grooming rooms is pricey but great. Always feel like a million bucks leaving there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I suppose you'd probably need a qualified hairdresser to answer this question, but been in a similar situation like yourself, where my hair is thinning a bit, going from crown down to front,my hair sort of has an uneven look in its shape and style .In the past i use to get with a razor , number 2 on the sides and 3 on top, which was ok, but actually made me (a) look a lot older and (b) actually exposed the thinning hair even more so on my scalp when in comparison to the tight cut at the sides and back.

But in the Waldorf and Bedford Stuy (best place to go) , when i mentioned it to look for a decent cut and style, the guys there put in similar suggestions by cutting the hair on top , not too tight and layering it in with the aid of cut throat razor and scissors to the sides and back, where it doesnt show that uneven look and shapes nicely on my head. I cant complain , im happy with it, despite the thinning hair situation. Obviously this might not suit everyone as theres different styles but thats what i get and im happy with it (Still though i wouldnt mind opting for the hair transplant like whats in the ads for HRBR, if i could only afford it ) :(

Thanks I'll try them... Its a bit embarrassing to be explaining that you are going bald

I'm at peace with it myself, I would rather have a haircut which makes my hair loss "obvious" but not bad looking, as in that people just go "he has thin hair/is going bald" and dont think about it rather than get some elaborate haircut which hides or minimizes is so people go "Oh! Is he losing his hair!?" when my hair gets wet, wind blows a certain way, light directly above my head etc... and lets face it its a losing battle. I kinda hope it hurrys up and falls out (I'll have hair at the sides and back but bald on top, exact same as my dad who I'm the spit of) this limbo is kinda annoying. And I can't shave my head because of work plus its not that bad yet but as I said its a losing battle.

(I know the above is quite vain and self centered and people don't actually care but, well, there it is!)

Advertisement