Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct way to hold a hurling stick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

gramar wrote: »
    I think it is an issue as I should be holding the hurl in my left hand when striking off my left something which I don't do.

As for the 5 year old in question if he's going to change then now is the time as the more he gets used to it the harder and more unnatural it will be down the line.
    He should try and get the basics right now or else he'll be very good at doing something the 'wrong way'.

no you shouldnt be holding the hurley in your left hand when striking off your left unless you are left hand on top dominant.
    if you are right hand dominant the right hand is always the hand holding the top of the hurley no matter what side your striking off, you throw up the ball to strike and catch the ball with your left hand. the opposite if you are left hand dominant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

no you shouldnt be holding the hurley in your left hand when striking off your left unless you are left hand on top dominant.
    if you are right hand dominant the right hand is always the hand holding the top of the hurley no matter what side your striking off, you throw up the ball to strike and catch the ball with your left hand. the opposite if you are left hand dominant.

What I mean is that my right hand is my dominant hand but I favour hitting off my left side. My right side is my 'weak side'. If I hit off my left as my favoured side I should have my left hand on top in the same way that a right handed person who favours their right side has their right hand on top.

What I mean is that my right hand is my dominant hand but I favour hitting off my left side. My right side is my 'weak side'. If I hit off my left as my favoured side I should have my left hand on top in the same way that a right handed person who favours their right side has their right hand on top.

i know what you mean.... but in your case, if you hit the ball off your strong side which is your left hand side, your right hand is till kept on top of the hurley, you throw the ball up with your left hand to strike and this hand is placed below the right hand on the stick as you strike. you should be striking off both sides either way so it shouldnt matter. so it doesnt matter what side you strike the ball off, you dominant hand ie the hand you write with, should be kept on top of the stick always. trust what im saying, im 110% on this.
    if you wrote with your left hand, this left hand is at the top of the stick, no matter what your strong or weak side is when your striking because you'll be striking of both sides anyway. you catch and throw the ball up with your right hand while the hurley is held in your left hand, then you place the right hand below the left hand for your strike and follow through.
    i dont know how i can make this any clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

i know what you mean.... but in your case, if you hit the ball off your strong side which is your left hand side, your right hand is till kept on top of the hurley, you throw the ball up with your left hand to strike and this hand is placed below the right hand on the stick as you strike. you should be striking off both sides either way so it shouldnt matter. so it doesnt matter what side you strike the ball off, you dominant hand ie the hand you write with, should be kept on top of the stick always. trust what im saying, im 110% on this.
    if you wrote with your left hand, this left hand is at the top of the stick, no matter what your strong or weak side is when your striking because you'll be striking of both sides anyway. you catch and throw the ball up with your right hand while the hurley is held in your left hand, then you place the right hand below the left hand for your strike and follow through.
    i dont know how i can make this any clearer.

Yeah I see what you mean, Dominant hand on top regardless of which side I hit it from. Holding the hurley with my weak hand at the top would be very awkward and like I said above you would be only getting good at a bad habit.

Yeah I see what you mean, Dominant hand on top regardless of which side I hit it from. Holding the hurley with my weak hand at the top would be very awkward and like I said above you would be only getting good at a bad habit.

exactly, dominant hand is always top of the stick regardless of what side you strike from, other hand is used for catching and throwing the ball to strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Too many people don't understand the difference between right handed and right sided.
    A right handed player is one who has the right hand on top, such as shefflin. While lar Corbett is left handed, but strikes from his right side.

In my opinion it does not matter which side they strike from, ideally both. But what is important is that they hold the hurl in their strong hand. The reason for this is that they can manovere the hurl quicker with the strong hand when lifting, hooking, blocking etc.

Advertisement