Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct way to hold a hurling stick

Options
  • 04-05-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    my 5 year old son has just started to play hurling. His right hand is his dominant hand. I've noticed that he has a natural tendency to hold the hurl with his left hand at the top and his right hand below. I've read that the dominant hand should be placed at the top and the less dominant below. Is this something I should correct or should I let his natural tendency prevail?

Thanks & regards
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

rikoshea wrote: »
    Hello,
    my 5 year old son has just started to play hurling. His right hand is his dominant hand. I've noticed that he has a natural tendency to hold the hurl with his left hand at the top and his right hand below. I've read that the dominant hand should be placed at the top and the less dominant below. Is this something I should correct or should I let his natural tendency prevail?

Thanks & regards

Right hand at the narrow-end, left hand down near the bás.

Also the "toe" should point to his right when rising the ball.

I did all the above wrong when starting out so it just takes practice to get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hurley-grip-main.jpg?height=400&width=325

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭megadodge

Not in any way disagreeing, but one of the greatest players ever, Joe Cooney of Galway, always had the left hand on top, even though he struck the ball right-sided. I know it was frowned upon at the time, but it sure didn't seem to hider him.

Actually now that I think of it, a number of that Galway team of the 1980's held the hurl the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dzer2

megadodge wrote: »
    Not in any way disagreeing, but one of the greatest players ever, Joe Cooney of Galway, always had the left hand on top, even though he struck the ball right-sided. I know it was frowned upon at the time, but it sure didn't seem to hider him.

Actually now that I think of it, a number of that Galway team of the 1980's held the hurl the same way.

There is a great chance to watch the most unorthodox hurler of all time on TG4 tomorrow Aidan Taggy Fograty in the league final holds the hurley with the wrong hand catches the ball with the dominant hand and totally unplayable.
    I would leave it alone for the time being and see how he gets on.After a while if he is finding it hard to pull cleanly then try switching the hands

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'd correct it now. yes, there are countless examples of players who hurl unorthodox and get away with it, but for every one of them, there are cast numbers more who hurl with the correct grip. Its why people remember the ones who hold it unorthodox, because it stands out.

the main reason I would correct it now, is that he would be fine for 5 or 6 years, and would play well with kids his own age. But, its when he gets to 12/13 and the level of play steps up, it is much harder for those with an unorthodox grip to keep going and what happens is they get frustrated and give up on it. It makes it much harder holding it that way to do most of the basic skills.

It obviously can be held unorthodox, but there is a reason its coached the way it is, and it makes it easier to play the game and enjoy it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

if you get a light football not a beach ball the one thats a bit heavier and as often as you can just play a game with him hitting it back an forth as fast/often as he can for 2/3min with only the dominant hand a couple of inches from the top of the hurl do not put the less dominant hand on the hurl at any time even when he wants to. we do it for up 15/20min with older lads, we use the smallest an lightest hurl we have to do this drill an it works a treat. because he's only 5 it would be too hard to try any more than 2/3min.

a hurl that is 'too short' for the child is the way to go.

that way he won't be pushing the ball with his strong hand on the bottom, but rather will swing the hurley (with dominant hand at end of handle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

It shouldnt matter which hand is on top IMO, as long as you teach him to strike off both sides its much of a muchness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

The best way to hold a hurl is whatever way suits yourself in terms of getting a good strike of the ball.

I don't buy into this idea of there's a "wrong" way to hold a hurl (unless you're holding it from the bás of course). I think whatever enables you to strike quickly and in control of the ball and one that you feel is best for you then it should be the way to go.

The likes of Aidan Fogarty, Bonnar Maher and others are often noted about holding the hurl the "wrong way", but its never done them any harm. Let the young lad hold the hurl whatever way suits his style of striking, let him find his comfort zone in terms of that and he should be grand.

There's no need to lecture a young lad about holding the hurl a particular way, all that matters is he's holding a hurl and enjoying it.

seanm92 wrote: »
    It shouldnt matter which hand is on top IMO, as long as you teach him to strike off both sides its much of a muchness!

yes there is

it's basic physiology

• Advertisement

care to explain?? many people may be right handed in terms of writing etc. and left handed when it comes to hurling, golf, tennis or whatever sport. I cant see why it would make any difference as long as the child is taught to hit off both sides

hurling cannot be compare to golf, baseball, hockey or any other sports that hit the ball - they don't have to catch the ball, or hit it on their 'weak' side.
    while running
    and being chased.

the way the human arm muscles work means it is much more efficient to have the dominant hand at end of hurley - and catching with the weaker hand. the forearms and wrist muscles work as a sort of spring (whereas with the hands reversed they are limited)

there are a few freaks out there who have mastered doing it the 'other' way, but they still catch the ball with weaker hand (fogarty, cooney etc) - watch them

most kids who start off with weak hand on hurley and catching with strong hand never make good hurlers and get very frustrated when they hit 10-12 and cannot do the stuff their peers can do

To be honest we could argue about this all day and we wouldnt agree, what is to stop someone hurling left handed? There are many examples from different sports where people who are right handed in other tasks play left handed in that sport, phil mickelson and rafa nadal being prime examples. surely this would suggest that both wrists/arms can become strong. Your argument doesnt make sense that they wouldnt be able to do 'what their peers can do'. sure they could just do it on the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

randd1 wrote: »
    The best way to hold a hurl is whatever way suits yourself in terms of getting a good strike of the ball.

I don't buy into this idea of there's a "wrong" way to hold a hurl (unless you're holding it from the bás of course). I think whatever enables you to strike quickly and in control of the ball and one that you feel is best for you then it should be the way to go.

The likes of Aidan Fogarty, Bonnar Maher and others are often noted about holding the hurl the "wrong way", but its never done them any harm. Let the young lad hold the hurl whatever way suits his style of striking, let him find his comfort zone in terms of that and he should be grand.

There's no need to lecture a young lad about holding the hurl a particular way, all that matters is he's holding a hurl and enjoying it.

taggy forgarty switches his grip, bonnar maher doesnt, bonner is a left hand on top dominant and doesnt switch his grip like fogarty

dzer2 wrote: »
    There is a great chance to watch the most unorthodox hurler of all time on TG4 tomorrow Aidan Taggy Fograty in the league final holds the hurley with the wrong hand catches the ball with the dominant hand and totally unplayable.
    I would leave it alone for the time being and see how he gets on.After a while if he is finding it hard to pull cleanly then try switching the hands

imagine how much quicker fogartys strike would be if he held the hurley properly, that split second makes the difference, fogarty is the exception to the rule, gary kirby was another player, the style is horrible on the eye.

megadodge wrote: »

the issue here isnt whether it is left or right hand dominant, its switching grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would change his grip now. Right hand on top for a right handed player.
    If you look at Aidan Fogarty in the League Final today, it takes him an eternity to strike the ball when he swings his hurley because of his grip. If he's tightly marked, he is often hooked or blocked. He also doesn't get great distance after striking the ball. And Taggy is the best inter-county who has this type of grip!!
    imagine how much quicker fogartys strike would be if he held the hurley properly, that split second makes the difference, fogarty is the exception to the rule, gary kirby was another player, the style is horrible on the eye.

+1

I would change his grip now. Right hand on top for a right handed player.
    If you look at Aidan Fogarty in the League Final today, it takes him an eternity to strike the ball when he swings his hurley because of his grip. If he's tightly marked, he is often hooked or blocked. He also doesn't get great distance after striking the ball. And Taggy is the best inter-county who has this type of grip!!

+1

he is most effective when moving at full pace as he is very hard to block or hook

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Cuddlytroll

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    he is most effective when moving at full pace as he is very hard to block or hook

I disagree. The ball hangs in the air a fraction of a second longer if you're throwing it from your dominant hand making it easier to get a block in.

look, its what all the top hurling coachs coach young fellas to do, might aswell teach the young lad the right way to do it as the wrong way, aidan fogarty is the exception to the rule, i think walter walsh has the same habit after that i dont think i know of any current inter county hurler from top tier county who does it so that will tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I'm right handed and I hold the hurley with my right hand on top but play off my left. It's a family thing as the auld lad and my two brothers are the same. It's never bothered me as the I have the hurley in my dominant hand and catch with my left. The only thing I would say is that I probably don't hit the ball as far as I'm not getting as much leverage as I would hitting off the right side.

gramar wrote: »
    I'm right handed and I hold the hurley with my right hand on top but play off my left. It's a family thing as the auld lad and my two brothers are the same. It's never bothered me as the I have the hurley in my dominant hand and catch with my left. The only thing I would say is that I probably don't hit the ball as far as I'm not getting as much leverage as I would hitting off the right side.

if you had read the previous posts, the way you describe that you hurl isnt the issue, the issue is switching grip when striking not if striking off your left hand side or your right hand side is your strong side!!!!

if you had read the previous posts, the way you describe that you hurl isnt the issue, the issue is switching grip when striking not if striking off your left hand side or your right hand side is your strong side!!!!

not to correct again, but he described it as holding it with the right hand on top but hitting on the left side, which is an unorthodox technique. this also makes free taking harder. fogarty has an even different technique again which is pretty much unheard of.

as I said earlier, there are always exceptions to the rule. but they are called exceptions for a reason, in that they are not common and if anyone is going about coaching kids how to play, the bit of extra time it takes to show them the correct way is worth it in the long run.

bruschi wrote: »
    not to correct again, but he described it as holding it with the right hand on top but hitting on the left side, which is an unorthodox technique. this also makes free taking harder. fogarty has an even different technique again which is pretty much unheard of.

as I said earlier, there are always exceptions to the rule. but they are called exceptions for a reason, in that they are not common and if anyone is going about coaching kids how to play, the bit of extra time it takes to show them the correct way is worth it in the long run.

the question in the OP referred to was about switching grips.
    every hurler worth his salt can strike off both sides which would include the "unorthodox" strike, regardless off which side is your stronger side but as i said earlier, that isnt the qustion in this thread, it has nothing to do about what side a player strikes from or what is his preference, the question is about switching grips and how to correctly grip the hurley, not off what side a player strikes the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd liken a hurling grip to a golf or snooker stance, you can be shown how to do it you'll practise that way but once you get more experienced you can adapt it to yourself and get more and more comfortable with your way.

the question in the OP referred to was about switching grips.
    every hurler worth his salt can strike off both sides which would include the "unorthodox" strike, regardless off which side is your stronger side but as i said earlier, that isnt the qustion in this thread, it has nothing to do about what side a player strikes from or what is his preference, the question is about switching grips and how to correctly grip the hurley, not off what side a player strikes the ball.

read the op again. nothing mentioned about switching grips. this is taking the conversation off rail. of course every hurler 'worth his salt' can strike off both sides, but thats not what was asked. The op asked a question about getting his 5 year old son to hold it the correct way, thats all. you said it yourself, best teach him right now.

bruschi wrote: »
    read the op again. nothing mentioned about switching grips. this is taking the conversation off rail. of course every hurler 'worth his salt' can strike off both sides, but thats not what was asked. The op asked a question about getting his 5 year old son to hold it the correct way, thats all. you said it yourself, best teach him right now.

you took the conversation off rail by getting mixed up with what was asked by the OP.....and yes, holding it the correct way which refers to his grip. why have you brought up what side a hurler strikes the ball off if the question is how to hold a hurley? thats not what was asked! theres nothing unorthodox about your description of how you strike the ball, its correct the style you mentioned, every hurler who can strike off both sides will have 1 of there sides using the unorthodox method as you put it. the backhand strike is probably the best way to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I think it is an issue as I should be holding the hurl in my left hand when striking off my left something which I don't do.

As for the 5 year old in question if he's going to change then now is the time as the more he gets used to it the harder and more unnatural it will be down the line.
    He should try and get the basics right now or else he'll be very good at doing something the 'wrong way'.

to add to this

as a coach of hurling for many years...
    the children that are taught the correct grip always become the best hurlers

and you can spot the clubs where very little time is spent on ensuring the proper grip for beginners - they usually are very weak (even with good numbers of kids)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Definitely fix it now. When I started off, I got used to holding the hurl with my non-dominant hand. 25 years later and I'm still trying to correct it and I think it does affect my play, big time.

Advertisement