Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetically Modified Meat coming this summer...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Its all well and good for us in the 1st world talking about principles but there are billions in the world without food. If genetic engineering can produce food faster, cheaper and more plentiful then it can be justified.

But the stuff isn't being made available to the people who really need it most, is it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't think id trust general motors making my meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

M three wrote: »
    But the stuff isn't being made available to the people who really need it most, is it...

No. But modifying food genetically won't solve that! The GM food probably wouldn't be made available to them either for the same reasons that normal food isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

M three wrote: »

GM is being used in Africa.

Wurly wrote: »
    No. But modifying food genetically won't solve that! The GM food probably wouldn't be made available to them either for the same reasons that normal food isn't.

Food is hard to transport. Simply Africa needs to produce enough internally.

As for meat - it's only sometimes inefficient. Cows eat grass in Ireland and most of Europe , and much of that land would not work for market gardening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

People can print meat right now. Yes, ya heard me : print meat. So no more horse meat. Just take stem cells from the most delicious animals and grow meat from them, instead of slaughtering them.

http://io9.com/5936317/billionaire-peter-thiel-invests-in-the-development-of-3d-printed-meat
    It's not cost-efficient and it tastes bad, from what I have read. The picture at the top of that page is not of actual vat-grown meat. I'm sure they will try to develop it to the stage where it is appetising and cost-efficient. It avoids most of the ethical objections against meat consumption and it would be good if it replaced meat. Personally I would still not eat it, but it wouldn't be because of ethical reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not eating any meat anyway, so I'm not really all that bothered.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not eating any meat anyway, so I'm not really all that bothered.

Well bully for you.

Or not, as the case may be actually.

5starpool wrote: »
    Well bully for you.

Or not, as the case may be actually.
    It is. Personally I'm concerned that ethical resource efficient methods of meat production may be developed. It's like pulling the moral high ground right out from under us. Back mixing with the savages. Savages is what we call meat eaters.

It is. Personally I'm concerned that ethical resource efficient methods of meat production may be developed. It's like pulling the moral high ground right out from under us. Back mixing with the savages. Savages is what we call meat eaters.

Quietly. And behind our protein fed masculine backs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dont they use GM rice in India? Make it more resilient to the weather and allow it to be grown twice a year .
    No. Vegetarian.
    It is a major argument in favour of vegetarianism. It is more efficient to produce vegetable foods for direct human consumption than to produce them for animals which then feed humans

Until they make bacon and angus plants vegetarianism wont become popular enough for that.

Dont they use GM rice in India? Make it more resilient to the weather and allow it to be grown twice a year .

Personally speaking, I would find the idea of GM meat far more scarier than a bit of rice. I don't eat meat but if I did, the GM thing would worry me. It's just so unnatural.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GM is being used in Africa.
    [citation needed]

You see under EU rules anything with more than 1% GMO is banned so the Africans are properly paranoid about US food aid containing GMO in case the farmers plant any of it. Because if they do it'll kill off future exports to the EU.
    Food is hard to transport. Simply Africa needs to produce enough internally.
    Between the Saudai's and Indian's there is an area the size of Belgium in East Africa that's being used to grow food for export back home. It's easier to use African water to grow food than to provide water back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Wurly wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I would find the idea of GM meat far more scarier than a bit of rice. I don't eat meat but if I did, the GM thing would worry me. It's just so unnatural.

I dont think it makes a difference if its plant or meat, we break it down to the stuff we do absorb so as long as our body is breaking it down the same it shouldn't cause issues and will be identical to us with the difference being at a DNA level which is destroyed when we eat it.

Im a chemistry and physics kind of guy so I'm probably missing some sort of biology stuff in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

It starts with GM animals and ends with them just growing the meat in the lab. Don't like the thought of eating lab grown meat

thiarfearr wrote: »
    It starts with GM animals and ends with them just growing the meat in the lab. Don't like the thought of eating lab grown meat

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

I fully support a natural genetic diversity. Any kind of GM animal will be weakened as a species in that they are more susceptible to disease on a larger scale.

GM food will not help the poor out of poverty. Regulation of GM food in poorer countries and the greater freedom large companies have to make mistakes, not be held properly accountable and exploit within those countries does not fill me with confidence.

crazy8 wrote: »
    I fully support a natural genetic diversity. Any kind of GM animal will be weakened as a species in that they are more susceptible to disease on a larger scale.

GM food will not help the poor out of poverty. Regulation of GM food in poorer countries and the greater freedom large companies have to make mistakes, not be held properly accountable and exploit within those countries does not fill me with confidence.

Most farmed flora and fauna are as natural as Pamela Anderson's tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Not my porridge,

is only ever gettin johnetically nomified. I lob all kinds of goodies in there....

Quietly. And behind our protein fed masculine backs.
    I'm bigger and stronger than most people. When I train, I get stronger faster than most people.
    If I'm not bigger and stronger than you, then most of these people almost certainly are: http://www.greatveganathletes.com/strength

• Advertisement

I'm bigger and stronger than most people. When I train, I get stronger faster than most people.
    If I'm not bigger and stronger than you, then most of these people almost certainly are: http://www.greatveganathletes.com/strength

Unfortunately the myth still exists that you have to consume animal products in order to be strong or healthy. In fact, only a few days ago my mother was blaming me getting migraines on not eating red meat.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fishfarmer

Seaneh wrote: »
    Whatever about GM beef, GM Salmon shouldn't be let anywhere near our waters, the wild stocks are already being damaged by farms on the west coast, if the mega farm in Galway Bay gets the go ahead the domestic stock will be ****ed rightly.

Depends what kind of damage you're talking about. If these GM fish are guaranteed to be sterile then no risk of genetic pollution, surely thats a positive?

BTW the farm in galway bay, AFAIK will have to be organic, which means it will probably go under about two years after opening. So don't worry too much about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't wait to try some ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

They should GM food that doesn't go off! Then we could recycle the leftovers and send it to Africa. Wouldn't feel as bad about wasting it then.

kfk wrote: »
    They should GM food that doesn't go off! Then we could recycle the leftovers and send it to Africa. Wouldn't feel as bad about wasting it then.

I wish we could do this too. But the problem is profit. One of the reasons why starving people are starving is because they don't have enough money to pay for food. And there are some greedy f*cks in this world that would prefer the food to go in a bin than feed these people. This is the horrible reality. So GMing the food still wont solve this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

it wont be long before our food looks like this (i like the yellow ones)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/8/83/Asgardfood.jpg

Advertisement