Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetically Modified Meat coming this summer...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Wurly wrote: »
    Just came across this article http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/01/first-genetically-modified-meat-and-salmon-to-be-approved-for-summer-2013/

So, Genetically Modified Meat is to be approved for this summer in the US. Is this something that worries you? Would you eat GMO meat? If not, why not?

I'm really not sure what to make of it....

Why not, at least we lead the US on this one, we turned horse into beef and nobody noticed for years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wurly wrote: »
    Just came across this article http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/01/first-genetically-modified-meat-and-salmon-to-be-approved-for-summer-2013/

So, Genetically Modified Meat is to be approved for this summer in the US. Is this something that worries you? Would you eat GMO meat? If not, why not?

I'm really not sure what to make of it....

Burgers,lasagne,stews...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We definitely wouldn't notice in a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

In reality gm food has been around for ages. Cattle or whatever were bread for certain traits. The angus for great steaks and fresians for milk. The new GM foods just cut out the middle man and give you exactly what you want

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

The fish is sterile, and would be raised in a series of large scale tanks
    I don't even support raising fish in tanks / factory farming, let alone genetically modifying them first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I don't even support raising fish in tanks / factory farming, let alone genetically modifying them first.

Its all well and good for us in the 1st world talking about principles but there are billions in the world without food. If genetic engineering can produce food faster, cheaper and more plentiful then it can be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Take tomatoes for instance, they have been mass produced and the selective breeding has reduced the flavor in favor of yield etc.

They are now using GM tech to bring back the old tomato, the one that tastes a lot better and most people around these days never had it.

There is nothing wrong with GM as long as we don't lose species. (For example, gm wheat cannot reproduce on its own).

On the other hand, I don't agree with most organic food methods, the farmers use organic pesticides which are not designed to dissipate and end up harming the environment more. Synthetic pesticides are designed to dispose of themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Tbh, I can't see how there would be any health risks, and as long as it tastes fine I certainly don't have a problem with it. Cows are meat, we eat them. Whether they are genetically modified or not wouldn't bother me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Its all well and good for us in the 1st world talking about principles but there are billions in the world without food. If genetic engineering can produce food faster, cheaper and more plentiful then it can be justified.

Don't give me that bull.

There is enough food already to feed those in the third world, it just doesn't happen. We waste something like a 1 Billion Tonnes of food each year and so the chances of genetically modifying food benefiting them is very slim.

Sanctimonious nonsense to excuse profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Don't give me that bull.

There is enough food already to feed those in the third world, it just doesn't happen. We waste something like a 1 Billion Tonnes of food each year and so the chances of genetically modifying food benefiting them is very slim.

Yeah you're right I'm sick of tesco chicken costing €3 for 2 breasts. I want cheap food, and I want cattle to be bred to have their meat taste of smokey bacon.

I really think you misunderstand how impoverished the third world is and what do you think happens when Asian and Africa (2 billion) become westernised and increase their meat consumption. We need more food, and none of this airy fairy organic b/s will do it.

• Advertisement

Don't give me that bull.

We cant ship it all to Africa. The logistics are impossible.
    The GM wheat is designed to grow in harsh African conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd eat GM meat with no worries.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'd eat GM meat with no worries.

Might taste better with a few spuds and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Does this mean there'll finally be enough chicken wings for everyone? It's such a pain that they only come with two.

One more step towards vat grown steaks.

Finally! Can't wait to try buffalo wings from actual buffalos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I want cheap food, and I want cattle to be bred to have their meat taste of smokey bacon.

I was dead against it until I read this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I couldnt care as long as it tastes the exact same and the texture is the exact same.
    in other words youd need a scientists in a laboratory to tell you its been genetically modified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm fine with it once there's no foal play involved.

Does this mean there'll finally be enough chicken wings for everyone? It's such a pain that they only come with two.

Was it Star Trek that had the food syntheciser?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Whatever about GM beef, GM Salmon shouldn't be let anywhere near our waters, the wild stocks are already being damaged by farms on the west coast, if the mega farm in Galway Bay gets the go ahead the domestic stock will be ****ed rightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Gotham wrote: »
    Take tomatoes for instance, they have been mass produced and the selective breeding has reduced the flavor in favor of yield etc.

They are now using GM tech to bring back the old tomato, the one that tastes a lot better and most people around these days never had it.

:eek: I thought it was the GM that made them this way!

cucumber flavoured tomatoes and peppers are all kinds of wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They amputate the wings. It's done humanely and they grow back. I fail to see the problem.
    IM0 wrote: »
    cucumber flavoured tomatoes and peppers are all kinds of wrong

Cucumber flavoured cucumbers are wrong.

IM0 wrote: »
    :eek: I thought it was the GM that made them this way!

No, see the difference between: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_breeding

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Foods

The first one has been done for thousands of years by man, the second is newer and similar, but the basic idea is to skip the years of breeding and engineer the genome to do what they wish.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/06/28/155917345/how-the-taste-of-tomatoes-went-bad-and-kept-on-going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

We don't need more food on the planet. We already waste a massive amount of food. Making food GM wouldn't solve the problem of starvation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

No. Vegetarian.

It seems like a more efficient means of food production. Article is misinformed - food shortages will become a major concern if efficiency of food production is not increased greatly. This will result from expected continued increases in global population. It is not a mainstream media myth. It is the official position of many major bodies including the UN. It is a major argument in favour of vegetarianism. It is more efficient to produce vegetable foods for direct human consumption than to produce them for animals which then feed humans.

Other ethical questions arise. It sounds like an extreme form of factory farming. I imagine there will be little semblance between the lives of these fish and the lives of wild salmon. How much of a concern this should be depends possibly on how much the difference would effect the salmon.

GM to increase food size makes sense. Some major objections to GM crops are that they are modified to tolerate pesticides, and those pesticide may be poisonous and/or damaging to the environment. A similar factor does not seem to exist here. Also I understand they will be raised in special areas separated from the normal ecosystem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

GM foods will be the property of the company that creates them. Which can then charge whatever they like for the products. Not good news for poorer countries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gotham wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with GM as long as we don't lose species. (For example, gm wheat cannot reproduce on its own).

On the other hand, I don't agree with most organic food methods, the farmers use organic pesticides which are not designed to dissipate and end up harming the environment more. Synthetic pesticides are designed to dispose of themselves.
    Some gm wheat is designed not to reproduce on it's own. Doesn't mean it won't ever.

Some GM is essential like producing medicines that could not otherwise be produced.

Other GM is just a land grab , an attempt to patent and achieve vendor lock in with little nutritional benefit.

GM includes producing plants that can tolerate extra high doses of patented weedkiller - so they can sell more weedkiller

some synthetic pesticides may be designed to dispose of themselves , [Citation Needed]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GM foods will be the property of the company that creates them. Which can then charge whatever they like for the products. Not good news for poorer countries.
    NB. any seeds or cuttings or descendants of patented GM would also be the property of the company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

People can print meat right now. Yes, ya heard me : print meat. So no more horse meat. Just take stem cells from the most delicious animals and grow meat from them, instead of slaughtering them.

http://io9.com/5936317/billionaire-peter-thiel-invests-in-the-development-of-3d-printed-meat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

What class of lunatic would let a fish loose in a tank?

Advertisement