Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Yin abuses photographer

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

He was funny for about six months in the 80's, now he's just a sad old man.

Maybe a change of tack is needed by the photographer for the future, 300-400mm f2.8 from the back of the theatre would save anymore outbursts

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Storm in a teacup.

I'd hate to see some people here at Frankie Boyle if you think this was abuse.

Borderfox wrote: »
    now he's just a sad old man

You know him or something? I'd say he's happy enough.

Bit of a sad comment tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Storm in a teacup.

I'd hate to see some people here at Frankie Boyle if you think this was abuse.

A guy who pokes fun and disabled kids yeah he's ****ing a legend... :rolleyes:

Borderfox wrote: »
    Maybe a change of tack is needed by the photographer for the future, 300-400mm f2.8 from the back of the theatre would save anymore outbursts

From what I read ids say thats not a millin miles from what she was doing. She had been up in the balcony shooting down then went down the main level and sat on a step about half way down the auditorium shooting. No idea how big the INEC is though so half way down could be anything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I really don't know, I wasn't there to witness the tone/situation and, like the rest of us, I only have the second-hand reports to go on.

Hang on, this helps -

That gives a bit more insight into what actually happened, and could change my mind about it.

They are the exact same clothes that he wore three years ago when I saw him in Chicago. Poor thing could probably use a wash as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You know him or something? I'd say he's happy enough.

Bit of a sad comment tbh.

I know him about as much as you do.

Rew wrote: »
    A guy who pokes fun and disabled kids yeah he's ****ing a legend... :rolleyes:

Comedy isn't real life.

Comedy isn't real life.

He explicitly named one kid and he told the mother of a downes syndrome kid that jokes he made abouts DS "Well its all true" so she shouldn't be upset by them.

Not sure what your definition of real life is but seems pretty real to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Promac wrote: »
    By whose standards is he an ar$ehole? Have we examined the entirety of his behavioural spectrum and deemed it to lie firmly on the side of "not very nice"? Is there a questionnaire or multiple choice? Your idea of ar$ehole is very different, I'm sure, from mine. Anyway, I'm sure anyone who doesn't like what he said or did won't be at his next concert so you can consider his career "damaged". What else would you have done to him for having a bit of a rant at some random person?

Edit: This has absolutely f*ck all to do with Photography - for a minute there I thought I was in AH.

By the standards of any normal person, and yes I agree, his career has been damaged, you dont hear or see half as much of him since the Ken Bigley fiasco, which was nothing short of a disgrace. There was a time when I thought he was the funniest thing ...but frankly, his time has passed, aside from this incident and the begley thing, he just aint funny anymore. I would have liked to have been at this show for one reason....to stand up and walk the *uck out!! As far as I am concerned, Scotland can keep him and that other ass Boyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    By the standards of any normal person, and yes I agree, his career has been damaged, you dont hear or see half as much of him since the Ken Bigley fiasco, which was nothing short of a disgrace. There was a time when I thought he was the funniest thing ...but frankly, his time has passed, aside from this incident and the begley thing, he just aint funny anymore. I would have liked to have been at this show for one reason....to stand up and walk the *uck out!! As far as I am concerned, Scotland can keep him and that other ass Boyle.

Thats a bit harsh on poor Susan.

Touche Beano Ha!

just to clarify, I was of course referring to frankie Boyle the guy who slags off special needs kids.

Someone else on the thread made reference to Billy being 71 and give him a break. WTF has his age got to do with it?...should we be making allowances because of it, perhaps you should ask him this the next time you attend his show............but give us a warning so someone can film it, and we can see how funny you think being abused is.

Rew wrote: »
    He explicitly named one kid and he told the mother of a downes syndrome kid that jokes he made abouts DS "Were all true" so she shouldn't be upset by them.

Not sure what your definition of real life is but seems pretty real to me.

It's comedy. Thiags are said that aren't true believe it or not.

Some comedians say anti semetic stuff, some racist stuff, some slag off diseases.

If people don't like no holds barred comedy, don't go. Simples. It's not for everyone.

It's comedy. Thiags are said that aren't true believe it or not.

Some comedians say anti semetic stuff, some racist stuff, some slag off diseases.

If people don't like no holds barred comedy, don't go. Simples. It's not for everyone.

Slagging off any, let alone a specific child with DS is NOT funny, and only a very lazy "comedian" would try to pass it off as such. Putting it in the same category as anti semetic/racist jokes is not on either because adults will choose to either ignore the shoite or defend their race/ethnic background......a 7 yr old with DS cant always do this.

The people who find this crap funny to tell or listen to are usually someone with no siblings or relatives with any sort of special needs..

If they had a child with a disabilty, and some similar remarks were passed in a school yard, they would on to the principal ASAP to accuse some 7 yr old of bullying.....

we are off the thread so I leaving it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't buy the storm in a teacup comments. Put yourself in her shoes and imagine shooting a show in front of 2,000 people and you are pointed out, picked on and called a c**t and then your name is plastered over the papers the next day. That's a very embarrassing position to be in though you did nothing wrong.

I shoot gigs and would be mortified if a performer pointed me out and made a any sort of negative comment. It happened a friend of mine recently at a small show in Limerick and he was taking photos for the venue/promoter!
    Zombrex wrote: »
    His jokes are just him shouting in a Scottish accent.

Isn't that Tommy Tiernan with an Irish accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

This going off the point. It has nothing to do with the material in his routine. It would be the same issue if a photographer was singled out by a band or an actor in a theater performance.

Regardless of whether or not you're a fan of his comedy the way he treated that photographer is disgusting. Even in the heat of the moment he could almost be forgiven for the incident if afterwards he apologised and admited how unprofessional he acted. But by defending it and outrightly saying he was proud of it, hes just fueling the fire even more.

Advertisement