Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Yin abuses photographer

Options
  • 04-05-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

"Billy Connolly says he does not regret verbally abusing photographer in Killarney"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0504/390387-billy-connolly/

According to RTE she was the official photographer (for the venue or the promoter or whoever, it doesn't say)

Is she a boardsie?

It all sounds a bit unpleasant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

He tweeted about it earlier today, forgot to look it up. Cheers.

I wonder what she has to say about it, or if the press are just acting offended on her behalf..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

What a pr**k, hopefully someone will give him a Glasgow kiss when he's in Cork.

omerin wrote: »
    What a pr**k, hopefully someone will give him a Glasgow kiss when he's in Cork.

That's a bit much. Were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

No I wasn't there, and why is it a bit much? Someone doing their job and call a c***, that's not a bit much? In any case he is due one

• Advertisement

omerin wrote: »
    No I wasn't there, and why is it a bit much? Someone doing their job and call a c***, that's not a bit much? In any case he is due one

You do know he's a comedian, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Never understood the appeal of Billy Connolly. Most over rated stand up comedian ever (after Ben Elton). His jokes are just him shouting in a Scottish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

You do know he's a comedian, yeah?

So comedy has turned into mindlessly insulting people until they're in tears :confused:

So comedy has turned into mindlessly insulting people until they're in tears :confused:

Is that what happened? Not what I have read...

Storm in a teacup IMHO.

Is that what happened? Not what I have read...

Storm in a teacup IMHO.

Doing your job and getting fcuked off the stage and being called a C**t
    The photographer was the INECs own and has been for the past 20 years.
    Her appointment for the night was ok'd by the INECs management as well as Billys own. He turned around on the night and annihilated her for the sakes of entertainment. Hardly confined to a teacup methinks

• Advertisement

Her appointment for the night was ok'd by the INECs management as well as Billys own. He turned around on the night and annihilated her for the sakes of entertainment. Hardly confined to a teacup methinks

So do you also hope that somebody gives him a 'Glasgow kiss' in retaliation?

This just sounds to me like another (social) media witch hunt, with people that weren't actually there keeping it going, offended on behalf of the photographer in question. That's all.

FWIW, I do think he was out of order, but it may have been nothing that an sincere apology wouldn't fix.

So do you also hope that somebody gives him a 'Glasgow kiss' in retaliation?

This just sounds to me like another (social) media witch hunt, with people that weren't actually there keeping it going, offended on behalf of the photographer in question. That's all.

FWIW, I do think he was out of order, but it may have been nothing that an sincere apology wouldn't fix.

A glasgow kiss? No, I don't wish that upon him at all.
    He was seriously out of order, and to be humiliated like that is just horrible...
    He has since said that he is 'proud' of the incident and 'doesn't regret it', and all thats after doing is throwing more fuel on the fire.
    Kinda takes the sincerity out of any forthcoming apology IMO. Regarding the 'witch hunt', If that was a friend of yours or acquaintance it was done to, you too would be up in arms over it.

A glasgow kiss? No, I don't wish that upon him at all.
    He was seriously out of order, and to be humiliated like that is just horrible...
    He has since said that he is 'proud' of the incident and 'doesn't regret it', and all thats after doing is throwing more fuel on the fire.
    Kinda takes the sincerity out of any forthcoming apology IMO. Regarding the 'witch hunt', If that was a friend of yours or acquaintance it was done to, you too would be up in arms over it.

I really don't know, I wasn't there to witness the tone/situation and, like the rest of us, I only have the second-hand reports to go on.

Hang on, this helps -

That gives a bit more insight into what actually happened, and could change my mind about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Billy Connolly was doing his job, and the photographer was distracting him. He didn't swear at her for the sake of entertainment; he swore because she continued taking photographs after he told her to stop. In fairness to her, it's possible that she didn't think he was being serious at first.

It's also very possible that Connolly's promoters didn't inform him that she had permission to take photographs. Knowing a little bit about his history with photographers, I doubt that he would have consented to having one present while performing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

That gives a bit more insight into what actually happened, and could change my mind about it.

what's that about whos he giving the finger to?

Taken from the INEC Facebook page:

Valerie O’Sullivan has been the in-house photographer for the INEC and Gleneagle Hotel Group for the past twenty years. As our official press photographer and as part of our ongoing public relations strategy she was engaged to photograph the recent Billy Connolly performance for INEC exclusive use. Permission had been granted for same in advance by Billy Connolly’s Irish promoter. The success of Valerie as our in-house photographer and her popularity with visiting artists is due to her discreet demeanour, professionalism and unobtrusive nature.

Patrick O’Donoghue,
    Managing Director,
    Gleneagle Hotel Group

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Piss poor for one supposed profesional to do that to another. If he wasn't told by his promotor he could simply have explained it in the media today instead he takes to twitter to abuse her further and goes on the radio and says he's proud of what he did, he's the one who's a c***.

She's a great photographer and an extremely nice person who was there doing a profesional job and didn't deserve what happened. She was sitting on a step keeping a low profile at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

To be honest i have dealt with him a number of years ago when working in dublin airport and didnt have a great experience for want of a better word,

flight went delayed he went mad at the boarding gate staff and wasnt good.

Since going freelance for some of the paper's i have met him and he does not like photographers of any kind intruding on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

RayM wrote: »
    Billy Connolly was doing his job, and the photographer was distracting him. He didn't swear at her for the sake of entertainment; he swore because she continued taking photographs after he told her to stop. In fairness to her, it's possible that she didn't think he was being serious at first.

It's also very possible that Connolly's promoters didn't inform him that she had permission to take photographs. Knowing a little bit about his history with photographers, I doubt that he would have consented to having one present while performing.
    Yet he waved to photographers outside the Cork theatre today.
    He was acting like an arrogant, obnoxious fool trying to appear controversial and shocking a la Frankie Boyle.
    He left a local woman in tears and she is not even able to answer questions from the media.
    He thought she was paparazzi (in Kerry ffs)and this shows his delusions of grandeur.
    And to cap it all off, he refuses to apologize for his knacker behaviour and reckons he's "proud of it".
    Billy was funny for a period sometime in the late 1970's, but he's an arty-farty has-been who shifts his humour depending on where he is....
    i.e Rude and Vulgar in UK and Ireland.
    And a Luvvie in the U.S

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I really don't know, I wasn't there to witness the tone/situation and, like the rest of us, I only have the second-hand reports to go on.

Hang on, this helps -

And the polite, "shure it'll be grand", lets-not offend-our neighbours, awkward Paddies clap this nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Funny if people brought a ton of flash cameras to the Cork gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was he told about her, and where was she standing? He said he didn't know it was even a woman, so I'm guessing no-one told him, seeing how he doesn't like photographers.

It seems (from digitalspy.com) that he thinks he "seem to have caused a little ripple on the lakes of Killarney by telling a photographer to get the hell out of my eye line." (Not so) Funny how he rephrased what he said when talking to people that are not his fans?

I'd say most people would've been subtle, but I've never seen Billy do "subtle".

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Zombrex wrote: »
    Never understood the appeal of Billy Connolly. Most over rated stand up comedian ever (after Ben Elton). His jokes are just him shouting in a Scottish accent.

I hate Connolly he's an a$$hole, after his joke about wishing Ken Bigley's captures would just get on with beheading him, I can't believe that he still has a career and that people still pay to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I don't like him since the Ken Bigley thing and started to see him in a completely different light .. he just isn't a nice person. His staff should have warned her and not have let her into that position, but there is no excuse to treat anyone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've met Valerie a few times and she's a lovely lady. She's got a real passion for photography. She photographed the queen in cork when she was over .

Obviously she was good enough for the queen but not good enough for billy.

I have to say I was gutted not to have got chance to see him but since all this happened I'm glad I kept my well earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Add your "Like" to this to show your appreciation:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/billy-connolly-is-a-dick/266838752093

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Famously foul-mouthed Scottish comedian tells someone to f*ck off. Nation shocked...

I love Billy. I think he's hilarious and a great character. And if he's acting a bit off, so what? He's 71. When I'm 71 I'll most likely be a damn sight less polite to people who tick me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Promac wrote: »
    Famously foul-mouthed Scottish comedian tells someone to f*ck off. Nation shocked...

I love Billy. I think he's hilarious and a great character. And if he's acting a bit off, so what? He's 71. When I'm 71 I'll most likely be a damn sight less polite to people who tick me off.

I disagree, he's not a "great character" he's a more than a bit of an ar$eh0le in real life, so just because people find him to be "hilarious" dosent mean he can treat other people like sh!t and then brush it aside as if it's not important. Behaviour like this should result in damage to his career, particularly because he dosent think what he did was wrong, when it so obviously is. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

By whose standards is he an ar$ehole? Have we examined the entirety of his behavioural spectrum and deemed it to lie firmly on the side of "not very nice"? Is there a questionnaire or multiple choice? Your idea of ar$ehole is very different, I'm sure, from mine. Anyway, I'm sure anyone who doesn't like what he said or did won't be at his next concert so you can consider his career "damaged". What else would you have done to him for having a bit of a rant at some random person?

Edit: This has absolutely f*ck all to do with Photography - for a minute there I thought I was in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Promac wrote: »
    By whose standards is he an ar$ehole? Have we examined the entirety of his behavioural spectrum and deemed it to lie firmly on the side of "not very nice"? Is there a questionnaire or multiple choice? Your idea of ar$ehole is very different, I'm sure, from mine. Anyway, I'm sure anyone who doesn't like what he said or did won't be at his next concert so you can consider his career "damaged". What else would you have done to him for having a bit of a rant at some random person?

Edit: This has absolutely f*ck all to do with Photography - for a minute there I thought I was in AH.

By any normal standards. Only an ar$ehole would say they were proud of their actions the next day instead of saying "Sorry I wasn't told my management had signed off on a photographer, I wouldn't haver agreed to it my self and I thought they were there without permission."

Advertisement