Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current role

Options
  • 03-05-2013 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just got to wondering what our forum regulars do in their day to day jobs? If I had to guess I'd say most people here are involved in web development/services judging by the forum threads.

Well I'm a developer (American MNC of course :pac: ) working on a desktop client, mainly code in C++.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

c_man wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just got to wondering what our forum regulars do in their day to day jobs? If I had to guess I'd say most people here are involved in web development/services judging by the forum threads.

Well I'm a developer (American MNC of course :pac: ) working on a desktop client, mainly code in C++.

Web and Android dev

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

c_man wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Java Developer, currently working on an eclipse RCP project

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Currently playing with RoR, vagrant, veewee and chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

C#, JavaScript, Jquery, SQL Server (Large DBs'), ASP.Net

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PHP/JS front end work, Python scripting, C++ back-end, with very small amounts of R scripting for specific purposes. Small scientific company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, JQuery and such fun. Web and desktop apps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Getting into Cloud based Marketing tools soon enough and Enterprise applications as well. Using Java, J2EE and C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

C# over SQL, WPF and entity framework - financial services.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'm doing some back-end plumbing for a platform-as-a-service company. Mostly Ruby, Python and shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Final year college student ( anything .net, erlang, java, tutorial maker, documenting anything programming). Future software engineer, manager and CEO.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

RealistSpy wrote: »
    manager and CEO.

Be careful what you wish for! :D

Final year college student ( anything .net, erlang, java, tutorial maker, documenting anything programming). Future software engineer, manager and CEO.

I've done the first two on your list, its not like what you think it will be.

It is awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

ChRoMe wrote: »
    I've done the first two on your list, its not like what you think it will be.

It is awesome though.

What should I be expecting? :)

What should I be expecting? :)

Thats hard to say without knowing your interests. However, there is a huge amount of money and respect for someone who can communicate with both the technical and operational ends of a large business.

If you can learn how to talk to suits and still be respected by the techies, the sky is the limit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Technical dev lead at the moment, lots of Java experience, lots of Big Iron stuff before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I've been a full stack .Net web developer since leaving college a couple of years back but am moving into a new job next week which looks like it is going to be largely Python based.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Python developer, also do android. Defense & space industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

space industry.

Using Python? Can you expand on this a bit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Using Python? Can you expand on this a bit?

Well SpaceX use python amongst their other languages so I imagine it has some use with space related things. My company may be in the "defense and space" industry but I work in the defense part, communications (I'm not too sure what they do regarding space, if anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

JPL and NASA publish a bit of open source stuff and SpaceX Engineers did an AMA on Reddit a while ago. They use quite a spread of technology, but it's safe to say pretty much every current spacecraft runs C (or some tiny subset of C++ at a push). It's easy to find coding guidelines for these guys online too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Ok.

I am sure they would use quite a bit of a lot of languages in some capacity but I was looking at SpaceX job postings* a while ago and naturally enough it is all not interpreted languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Recently completed a PhD in social network analysis / machine learning / data analytics.

Currently working on a startup. We're making it easy for developers to use machine learning AI to business tasks, such as CRM. (Predictive analytics.)

The tech stack we are building is mostly python.
    (Bootstrap,D3.js,jquery) -> (Python Google App Engine, jinja2) -> nginx -> RESTful Flask, tornado (on EC2) -> Custom machine learning network servers (Python on EC2) -> Python backend -> Datastore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Just finished the second year of a four year evening degree course which is heavily focused on Java but also a little front end web development. Starting C# next year.

In work, we currently outsource all our main development (I don't even have a dev environment) so about 75% of my time is spent developing VBA based solutions that are required by the business to solve short-medium term or ad hoc requirements but does not warrant a full scale outsourced development process.

So, for the last few months, my evenings have been spent developing college projects in Java and my days spent working with VBA. Changing from Java to VBA feels like changing from playing an XBOX to playing with a Commodore 64!

Thankfully, our company is moving away from the outsourcing model and are in the early stages of creating an inhouse dev Java team.

I also did a decent amount of VB.NET development in a previous job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Eunan Plumb

Thats hard to say without knowing your interests. However, there is a huge amount of money and respect for someone who can communicate with both the technical and operational ends of a large business.

If you can learn how to talk to suits and still be respected by the techies, the sky is the limit.

An don't go in to talk to the suits wearing wearing a Metallica tee and greasy cargoes...topped off by a three day stubble.

Look people in the freekin eye when you are talking to them and remember they are REAL people whom you cannot CNTRL Alt Delete and expect them to actually look at you and speak to you.

Avoid getting the "Who was that Fu~@>ng C*#t" reaction from them when you leave the room.

You should be OK !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

An don't go in to talk to the suits wearing wearing a Metallica tee and greasy cargoes...topped off by a three day stubble.

Look people in the freekin eye when you are talking to them and remember they are REAL people whom you cannot CNTRL Alt Delete and expect them to actually look at you and speak to you.

Avoid getting the "Who was that Fu~@>ng C*#t" reaction from them when you leave the room.

You should be OK !

Yeah but if you don't come across as a little bit weird they will doubt your developer skills.

Thats IS how you go in to them, thats the whole point. You are the conduit between business and technology.

Granted its a clean hoody, clean jeans and 3 day stubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

In a "tech" company I'm working on dotNet 1.1 era code (some still in 1.1, remainder in 2.0) in a mix of C# and vb.net, slowly phasing out the latter. I guess this is life at the dregs of the Irish SME sector. If I see another datatable being passed from one object to another I think I'll scream. Looking for the big red eject lever...

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Eunan Plumb

Thats IS how you go in to them, thats the whole point. You are the conduit between business and technology.

Granted its a clean hoody, clean jeans and 3 day stubble.

Sorry pilgrim !

This is how you THINK you should talk to them and I take on board your bit about conduit an all that.

Forget about the myth that the suits will only take you seriously if you appear "alternative" or "grungy".

No pal......ditch that look...techies need to learn that appearing in a clean trousers and shirt with a well groomed appearence will cut the mustard much better with the suits.

Trust me pal......I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nah you don't really, you are just generalising.

Game development = wear a suit? lol?
    Finance = wear jeans? lol?

Also in the consulting world there are the guys that try to compensate for lack of technical ability by wearing a 3 piece suit everyday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mobile app developer - iOS and Android. Previously a LAMP stack-ish (didn't use apache ;)) developer.

Advertisement