Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivalist Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

silentrust wrote: »
    Good man, sounds like a plan. Where's good for a drink where you can hear yourself think? (I'm a poet and I know it...)
    id say one of the hotel bars might be handy to meet in as they are quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

ShadowFox wrote: »
    id say one of the hotel bars might be handy to meet in as they are quiet

Any suggestions? I'm game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Any suggestions? I'm game.

The Marker Hotel across from the Grand Canal Theatre has a well stocked, quiet bar, close enough to the city centre if you're on foot but not so near you're surrounded by peasants... :-D

The Marker Hotel across from the Grand Canal Theatre has a well stocked, quiet bar, close enough to the city centre if you're on foot but not so near you're surrounded by peasants... :-D

Cool with me what day suits people? Thursday evening perhaps?

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Cool with me what day suits people? Thursday evening perhaps?

Suits me if it suits everyone else.

• Advertisement

I wont be around for a while but hopefully next time

Got put on Night shifts this week so I'm afraid I can't make it actually, will have to arrange something though.

Yes well, if we ever do put together a team, can we please include a dentist?

Both my lower wisdom teeth have grown in sideways - it's bad enough as it is finding someone who'll whip them out on the cheap, imagine having dental problems post collapse! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yes well, if we ever do put together a team, can we please include a dentist?

Both my lower wisdom teeth have grown in sideways - it's bad enough as it is finding someone who'll whip them out on the cheap, imagine having dental problems post collapse! :-)
    That is the right thinking! Tom hanks taking his tooth out in cast away with an ice skate and a rock is not something id like to recreate!!

aaakev wrote: »
    That is the right thinking! Tom hanks taking his tooth out in cast away with an ice skate and a rock is not something id like to recreate!!

Also, irony of ironies, he left it to his wife to arrange the dental appointment and she ended up marrying the dentist - it's true!

Bet Tom Hanks was a bit down in the mouth... :-D

• Advertisement

Since we're putting together our erstwhile team I have been wondering, if we're going to be trading with one another for vitals post-collapse, why not start now?

I realise that according to forum rules items "for sale" should be placed on Adverts.ie but is there anywhere we can just advertise stuff to exchange? Would it be against the rules to have a thread for this? Forgive my ignorance but I am new!

Since we're putting together our erstwhile team I have been wondering, if we're going to be trading with one another for vitals post-collapse, why not start now?

I realise that according to forum rules items "for sale" should be placed on Adverts.ie but is there anywhere we can just advertise stuff to exchange? Would it be against the rules to have a thread for this? Forgive my ignorance but I am new!
    I was talking to Tabnabs before about this Ill have a chat with him again and we will ask the powers that be

I was talking to Tabnabs before about this Ill have a chat with him again and we will ask the powers that be

Thanks chief, might encourage people to collect and build more survivalism related equipment. Any fool can currently buy a jar of coffee but a home made water filter or a few litres of biodiesel are a different story altogether.

My august colleague has reminded me that you do in fact need a special permit to make and sell Biodiesel to your friends. I was simply using it by way of example, hope this is clear!

I appreciate that we might be offering stuff to trade that any fool can buy from their local hardware store or organic farm but this is besides the point - bartering is the most likely shape the economy will take if their is some kind of apocalyptic event and I'd like us to be comfortable with it before the SHTF.

It would be nice to have it on Boards as this is where many Irish Survivalists meet. Might even encourage a few more members for the site as word got around.

Thanks chief, might encourage people to collect and build more survivalism related equipment. Any fool can currently buy a jar of coffee but a home made water filter or a few litres of biodiesel are a different story altogether.
    After checking the rules within boards.ie and the border line between what would be legal and what would be illegal to sell (and what some of you head cases would make in your work shops :D :P ) at the moment it will not be allowed
    Adverts.ie will allow you to sell/trade most items and its FREE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just to back up what ShadowFox has said, at the moment we're not getting a green light on this, but it will be discussed further.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just to back up what ShadowFox has said, at the moment we're not getting a green light on this, but it will be discussed further.

So the Fish people get a swap shop (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056542976) but we don't, what gives???

So the Fish people get a swap shop (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056542976) but we don't, what gives???
    Give us time to work it out trust me we would like to get this up and running too

Give us time to work it out trust me we would like to get this up and running too

Sorry Shadowfox, I don't mean to have a moan at you personally, it's just that I think this would be better than using the adverts.ie site mainly as it'll be more convenient, also the equipment we're likely to make/want/sell may not fit neatly into the categories they have on there e.g would I put a handheld crank for extracting vegetable oil from seeds under farming equipment or kitchen appliances?*

I see the way the Fish people sometimes do it is to list an item on Adverts.ie e.g an Aquarium with 2 Koi but mention this in the "swap" thread with a brief suummary- perhaps this might be a good compromise? Food for thought I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Just a thought guys, I know the mods are working on this and perhaps this forum is the perfect place for such a swap shop/trade stall but I can create a page on my blog if you like for such a purpose. If this is of interest let me know and if we have enough takers I'll get a page going and PM the link to anyone who wants it. Mods: if this is treading on toes or sticking my hooter in where it's not wanted feel free to tell me to back my BOV the hell up!

• Advertisement

Sorry Shadowfox, I don't mean to have a moan at you personally, it's just that I think this would be better than using the adverts.ie site mainly as it'll be more convenient, also the equipment we're likely to make/want/sell may not fit neatly into the categories they have on there e.g would I put a handheld crank for extracting vegetable oil from seeds under farming equipment or kitchen appliances?*

I see the way the Fish people sometimes do it is to list an item on Adverts.ie e.g an Aquarium with 2 Koi but mention this in the "swap" thread with a brief suummary- perhaps this might be a good compromise? Food for thought I hope.

Let me explain what the problem is on a sports forum you can sell/trade a baseball bat because for all to see its for a sport on our survivalism forum a baseball bat would be classed as a weapon but a black thorn walking stick which is just as good if not better than a baseball bat is ok as a lot of our plans entail a lot of walking. So as I said give us time until we can figure out what we would be allowed sell/trade Tabnabs and I are looking at the what ifs and maybes at the moment we will keep you informed

Let me explain what the problem is on a sports forum you can sell/trade a baseball bat because for all to see its for a sport on our survivalism forum a baseball bat would be classed as a weapon but a black thorn walking stick which is just as good if not better than a baseball bat is ok as a lot of our plans entail a lot of walking. So as I said give us time until we can figure out what we would be allowed sell/trade Tabnabs and I are looking at the what ifs and maybes at the moment we will keep you informed

I understand Shadwfox, so many Survivalists seem to be fixated on weapons but ignore the fine details like ensuring they have enough clean drinking water. I hope we're able to come to some way to make sure no offensive weapons are listed. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 prepperballs

Hey fellow prepper dudes! Sorry I know this is my first post and not sure if I need to introduce myself somewhere first or what, but I'm a 28 y/o male living in Dublin, if there's anything else you need to know feel free to ask!
    So back to the original post, is this actually gonna go ahead or what? I know I for one would love to meet up for a pint with a few more like minded people! I think its a great idea to get a group like this together, and its actually just what I've been looking for, in the wrong places so sorry I'm late :) Anyway the way I see it, when the economy inevitably does its thing, or whatever the case may be, there's gonna be strength in numbers, and having an already established group of skilled individuals would be extremely beneficial! And imagine if the worst happens and we all had a BOL to go to and share our skills and look after each other's families! Surely that's better than trying to go it alone!? I for one could supply you all with electricity for charging electronics (with all them saved survival pdf's and stuff) and lighting and what not! Also, as I'm sure most of you are aware, posting and asking questions in public forums like this can be very restrictive on certain topics, all the easy answers are most likely out there to be found anyway, not to mention the fact that there is no trust gained sitting on your ass typing anonymously! So I'm gonna throw a date out here, say Saturday 4th of January, to give the hangover and bloated bellies time to settle, and personally I'm into Fibber Magees on Parnell st. as it has a cool heated beer garden to sit and chill in, but I'm easy! And I know a cool heated beer garden is a bit of a contradiction :) I really don't care when or where so feel free to mention when you're available rather than just saying you can't make it that day or it'll never happen! The sooner this happens the better! Anyway, looking forward to hearing ANYTHING! Oh and also, as nobody wants to share their secret wild camping locations in a public forum, it would be great for the camping discussion too, and possibly we could plan a few camping trips to practice the aul bushcraft skills and show off our nifty kits and preps, how cool would that be?
    Happy Christmas,
    Prepperballs

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NakedIrish

I'd also be interested and am based in Dublin, I would personally be interested in trading any skills we have between each other and, naturally; the social aspect.

Yea of course! Sure who knows what's gonna happen, all I know is it would just be better to have a proper discussion about this kind of stuff with people who are actually interested in it and get some feedback rather than to be called a paranoid weirdo a trying to get other people interested! Thought i'd try get the ball rolling here and try to get a bit of a network of useful people going, best prep ya can have if ya ask me! So how does the 4th of January sound to you?

Should be fine by me, location seems grand too... probably won't be drinking and I'll probably have to leave before the last Luas because, y'know... money and the likes.

Yea Christmas has hit me pretty hard too, but I'm sure I can scrape a few quid together in case of a bit of a session :) we'll see what happens! Maybe we can go for around 5 or 6 in the evening as some people might have other plans for their Saturday night too? Hoping we can get a few together! There's pool tables there too if anyone wants to have a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

This is a great idea. I would love to see something like this happen. I can't do the fourth as I am away in Scandinavia at the mo.

And I know this may be contradictory to terms and conditions but is there a place were a chat room or for example a Skype style conference call could be set up ?

Thehippychippy has made some great things in the past which I learned on here and recreated but me being in Dublin and himself in Waterford makes things logistically difficult.

But maybe if we were to set a thread up here and announce a conference chat time and date and those who wanted to join in could ? That way we could include everyone from all over the country and who knows maybe lead the way to an annual meet ;)

Feel free to PM me would like to see if this has legs .

So... is anyone actually going to show up on the 4th or would we be better off creating a new thread with all the details and a good lead time to let people know in advance?

• Advertisement

Yea I'm still up for doing this anyway, though I would like if we had a few more people involved. Nuub, when are you back from Scandinavia? Is there another date you would be available for? NakedIrish, in the meantime, if you are from Tallaght like myself, i don't mind organizing a meet between the two of somewhere a bit more convenient if you like? As for a conference call, I don't have a Skype account set up and only have access to the internet on my phone at the moment so not sure if it would even work for me, but as long as a date is set in advance and posted on here I can easily work my other plans around it!

Advertisement