Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil and Seanad Prayers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Geomy wrote: »
    I just don't understand why someone doesn't want to live here because of prayers in the Dail.
    Have a read again of what Brian wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    [...] because they're stupid enough to believe in a badly written bunch of fairy stories.
    ...and see if you can spot any differences between what you said Brian wrote, and what Brian actually wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They should have a simple oath swearing to act only in the public interest, with honesty and transparency at all times.

No need for prayers! It's a legislature not a church.

There's a serious possibility it could be argued to be highly discriminatory against atheists and anyone who doesn't agree with the concept of 'God'.

It's antiquated, unnecessary and socially divisive!
    I would also say it actually probably alienates a lot of younger (under 75) voters as it just proves the Oireachtas is a stuffy, reality-disconnected institution.

If it serves no purpose and inadvertently undermines democracy it shouldn't be there. I don't really see the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Absolutely Solair, but it's hard to see it going when we still have the national broadcaster issuing the call to prayer several times a day :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah. It's a strange, strange country sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Geomy wrote: »
    Because if you're going to let an oul prayer make you emigrate or contemplate leaving the country, there's something seriously wrong somewhere.

No, I'd much rather show idiots like you the door. Then my country would be a far better place.

Anyways Ireland is supposed to be a secular state (we voted to remove the "special position" of the catholic church in a referendum), therefore there should be no such thing as saying a prayer before the opening of a secular, state, instituion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement