Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil and Seanad Prayers

Options
  • 02-05-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Not the most pressing issue in light of abortion developments this week but throwing it out there anyway.

For those who might not know, every day the Dáil or Seanad sits, a prayer is read out. Its a clearly Christian prayer. Changes were made to add a reflection in the Seanad, in addition to the prayer, but the prayer remains.

Here is the prayer:
    Direct, we beseech thee, O Lord, our actions by thy holy inspirations and carry them on by thy gracious assistance; that every word and work of ours may always begin from thee, and by thee be happily ended; through Christ our Lord. Amen

Now, I think this is a problem. Appeal to a supernatural deity to do one's work isn't appropriate in this day and age. Is a moment's reflection even needed? Surely you're there to do your work as a legislator and that's the start and end of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

lazygal wrote: »
    Not the most pressing issue in light of abortion developments this week but throwing it out there anyway.

For those who might not know, every day the Dáil or Seanad sits, a prayer is read out. Its a clearly Christian prayer. Changes were made to add a reflection in the Seanad, in addition to the prayer, but the prayer remains.

Here is the prayer:
    Direct, we beseech thee, O Lord, our actions by thy holy inspirations and carry them on by thy gracious assistance; that every word and work of ours may always begin from thee, and by thee be happily ended; through Christ our Lord. Amen

Now, I think this is a problem. Appeal to a supernatural deity to do one's work isn't appropriate in this day and age. Is a moment's reflection even needed? Surely you're there to do your work as a legislator and that's the start and end of it.

Now we know who's responsible for the blanket bank guarantee and other fcukwittery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

lazygal wrote: »

Here is the prayer:

Unfortunately until we remove or reverence to the Almighty in the Constitution then I can't see that prayer being removed. The State can't endow favour to any religion but it also has to respect and honour the Almighty God. So, go figure that one out. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Contact your local TDs to voice your displeasure about this and other matters of a secular nature

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

they should add

we pray for bankers and nama will get a good price
    that the electors will see we are less crooked than that other shower

that are pensions will rise

amen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In before the inevitable "what harm does it do sure it's always been that way have you nothing better to complain about" post. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tch, you forgot 'Ireland is a catholic country'

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

what harm does it do, sure it's always been that way have you nothing better to complain about,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

what harm does it do, sure it's always been that way have you nothing better to complain about,

Sure we're all going to die anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I think its only routine.
    Probably half if not more just mumble
    along with the prayer.

Is it really bothering you ?

Geomy wrote: »
    along with the prayer.

Sorry man, Dades got there before you
    Dades wrote: »
    In before the inevitable "what harm does it do sure it's always been that way have you nothing better to complain about" post. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

along with the prayer.

Yes. Our elected representatives are supposed to be using their own brains to decide what to do, not beseeching help or guidance from some deity for which there is no proof of existence.

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

They should alternate which prayer is said. I'd like to see the old Spiderman theme song put on the schedule :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Alternate prayers would be a good start. Force them to pray to every god, and they'll soon realise the benefits of just not praying to any.

Dave! wrote: »
    Sorry man, Dades got there before you

I haven't been to the Dail yet, , but fair play to you for letting me know Dades was there before me when I wasn't even there in the first place :-D

Yes. Our elected representatives are supposed to be using their own brains to decide what to do, not beseeching help or guidance from some deity for which there is no proof

Ah surely we all know that.

Yes, supposed to be using their own brains isn'tssomething they're familiar with.

As I said, im sure they mumble along with the formalities.

What id love to know is, who is their advisors getting advice from ?

Id mumble along if I was getting their pay...

Yes. Our elected representatives are supposed to be using their own brains to decide what to do, not beseeching help or guidance from some deity for which there is no proof

Ah surely we all know that.

Yes, supposed to be using their own brains isn'tssomething they're familiar with.

As I said, im sure they mumble along with the formalities.

What id love to know is, who is their advisors getting advice from ?

Id mumble along if I was getting their pay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

along with the prayer.

I don't want to live in a country which privileges one group of people over everybody else, simply because they're stupid enough to believe in a badly written bunch of fairy stories.

I don't want to live in a country which privileges one group of people over everybody else, simply because they're stupid enough to believe in a badly written bunch of fairy stories.

Are we talking about the Irish Constitution now?

Are we talking about the Irish Constitution now?

Nah, the bible. I don't see any stories about snakes seducing women with apples in the Bunréacht.

Nah, the bible. I don't see any stories about snakes seducing women with apples in the Bunréacht.

i smell a Constitutional Referendum....

Speaking of the Bunréacht, is there anything in there requiring these prayers to take place?

• Advertisement

i smell a Constitutional Referendum....

Speaking of the Bunréacht, is there anything in there requiring these prayers to take place?

Don't know and am currently too lazy to look through my copy of the Bunréacht.

There shouldn't be a fada over that e, should there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ah, sure we're all going to die anyway.

I'm very Ankh-Morporkian in my use of fadas, I know they go somewhere, but don't care where.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Bunreacht just wouldn't let them out of the house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

I'm very Ankh-Morporkian in my use of fadas, I know they go somewhere, but don't care where.

Cork County Council has exactly the same approach when it comes to road signs.

I don't want to live in a country one group of people over everybody else, simply because they're stupid enough to believe in a badly written bunch of fairy stories.

You should write a letter and if that's not satisfactory,bring it to the European Court of human rights.

Because if you're going to let an oul prayer make you emigrate or contemplate leaving the country, there's something seriously wrong somewhere.

Have you spoken about this to any one besides in here.

That's some serious **** dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

You should write a letter and if that's not satisfactory,bring it to the European Court of human rights.

Because if you're going to let an oul prayer make you emigrate or contemplate leaving the country, there's something seriously wrong somewhere.

Have you spoken about this to any one besides in here.

That's some serious **** dude.

KFVsCZJ.gif

KFVsCZJ.gif

I just don't understand why someone doesn't want to live here because of prayers in the Dail.

And it's something that the majority of people don't get upset or worried about.

In fairness Joseph are you thinking of not living here because of people praying in the Dail ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I just don't understand why someone doesn't want to live here because of prayers in the Dail.

And it's something that the majority of people don't get upset or worried about.

In fairness Joseph are you thinking of not living here because of people praying in the Dail ?

This is Ireland, everyone has a gripe about something. Everything is a controversy hence the lay of the land.

Advertisement