Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star trek next generation on RTE 1990's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

They didn't have British accents.

I didnt say they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

"it's capital city was called Dublin"

Well.....that sounds ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

"it's capital city was called Dublin"

Well.....that sounds ominous.
    There's a world government in Star Trek so that would mean no more capital cities.

Evade wrote: »
    There's a world government in Star Trek so that would mean no more capital cities.

Thought there would be, even USA still has State capitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Thought there would be, even USA still has State capitals.
    I suppose it depends on the type of government the united Earth has. Another possibility is Ireland was absorbed into one of those alphabet soup countries that sprang up after WWIII Lily mentioned in First Contact.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the type of government the united Earth has. Another possibility is Ireland was absorbed into one of those alphabet soup countries that sprang up after WWIII Lily mentioned in First Contact.

Or maybe Cork finally got their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I also used to watch TNG on RTE on Saturday night at 7 except when I had to go to mass :( Mass being at 7.30 at the time. Loved watching TNG hated going to mass.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

leading on from this when TNG was ending there was a gathering at The Royal Hotel in Bray where Gates McFadden was in attendance. I timed it great as were getting ready to show All Good Things for teh first time in Ireland when she walked in, I was at the back and was gutted, loads ahead of me.. But then announced she would sign stuff at the back of the hall, First in line to meet Doc Crusher.. red headed fox ;-)

did anyone else get to that meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

even hearing the theme tune brings me back, usually I had a bath beforehand, I can practically smell the bath soap every time I hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Commander Data!

I have fond fond memories of watching ST TNG with my Dad and brother on a Saturday night around 7/8 PM ... it was great, then we would rent a VHS film from Advance Vision :D !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

In a pre-internet era, where I paid little attention to the anything written in the entertainment sections of printed newspapers (remember them :p) and never listened to popular radio, I was not aware of this TNG thing before I was walking into my local in Limerick City, of a Saturday evening in the late 80's/very early 90's (I was out early that evening for some reason ... luckily) I looked up at the TV and there was this strange Star Trekkie title sequence going on.

I was flabbergasted ... They're bringing back Star Trek??? ... I sat enthralled and watched Encounter at Farpoint (part 1). When I went home that night, I set my VCR to record Encounter at Farpoint (part 2). :p

If I hadn't actually seen it when I walked in to the pub that evening, I probably would have missed it completely. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Sorry to necrothread here but ..as someone who watched TNG when it aired, RTE were suprisingly good at showing episodes of Trek.

.. RTE started airing the first season after the BBC did , but caught up and kept going.. so they were showing episodes maybe a few months ahead of any of the other channels we had access to , and this continued until maybe season 6 or 7 ? when Sky went all in on it and bought the rights to air it first , and also to air the upcoming DS9.

Afterwards they did show Voyager , but ended up airing it weeks after Sky , and at 11pm at night .

(The farhaven episodes werent great , although you could probably complain in person to Janeway if you liked , as for a while she (well Kate Mulgrew) was in Ireland a lot, Also I love the fact that at one point in Treks canon Odo was being shown around Dublin by O'Briens family )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Poor Odo probably brought on a pub crawl.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bitent

New episodes of TNG from at least season 6 were aired on RTE before Sky one which was amazing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I remember watching Conspiracy when I must have been 4 or 5 and been totally freaked out but was more haunted by Q Who and the introduction of the Borg.

Advertisement