Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star trek next generation on RTE 1990's

Options
  • 02-05-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I used to watch it on rte when i was a kid :D just wondering if anyone could tell me what seasons aired and on what dates.
    It was on a saturday if i remember correctly. really used to look forward to it. I remember how much i loved it and the characters but couldn't really remember individual episodes. I have watched all he ep's back a couple of times in the past 4 years or so but i love it for different reasons not the same as when i remembered it then. anyone else grow up watching it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Never heard of it, space show you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Horrible experience. Had to head to 8 o clock Mass with about 10 minutes to go, always missed the end of each episode.

However , I do remember being off sick one saturday, got to watch the end of Yesterdays Enterprise with the shoot out and exploding ships. Thank you jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

so was it broadcast around the same time as america? for some reason i thought they started showing them a couple of years after it was broadcast in america from early to mid 90's. i would have being born the year it started then :D

Urquell wrote: »
    Horrible experience. Had to head to 8 o clock Mass with about 10 minutes to go, always missed the end of each episode.

However , I do remember being off sick one saturday, got to watch the end of Yesterdays Enterprise with the shoot out and exploding ships. Thank you jesus.

thats why i went on the sunday :D

• Advertisement

Goldstein wrote: »
    Never heard of it, space show you say?

don't worry about it, it was some nonsense that was on in the 90's it was forgot about pretty quick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,457 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Urquell wrote: »

Each episode ends with a Scooby Doo -esque unmasking.

Q was really just Kirk's ghost having a laugh at the expense of the new Enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Each episode ends with a Scooby Doo -esque unmasking.

Q was really just Kirk's ghost having a laugh at the expense of the new Enterprise.

o1s1n posting in the Star Trek forum? That made me double take! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ah nostalgia. A whole gamut of associations are now brought back to me, Riker in a bar (last season TNG) on RTE 2 on a Saturday, the World Cup, Sonic, the wonder that was the megadrive after 8 bit gaming, Ice T, great weather. It was 94/95 I think. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

It started on RTE in 1990. A friend of mine was in the the states around 88/89 and saw some episodes and really rubbed it in once it started here because, back in those days, getting to see shows on the US schedule was uber cool!

As I said, it ran from 1990 until about 96 maybe. They showed the first couple of seasons almost back to back I think. It used to be shown at 7PM on a Saturday evening. Later it moved to 7PM on a Sunday evening. That was certainly true for Season 7, I remember watching Sub Rosa at home one Sunday evening. Has to be one of the worst ever TNG episodes.

Things got vague for me from about 93 onwards as I stopped relying on RTE. I moved to Dublin for college and Sky were running the show every night at 10PM at the time, and at 5PM as well. The college had a Star Trek society also which I joined and we got tapes of the latest episodes from the states and were current when DS9 started as well. Ah, happy days!

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    It started on RTE in 1990. A friend of mine was in the the states around 88/89 and saw some episodes and really rubbed it in once it started here because, back in those days, getting to see shows on the US schedule was uber cool!

As I said, it ran from 1990 until about 96 maybe. They showed the first couple of seasons almost back to back I think. It used to be shown at 7PM on a Saturday evening. Later it moved to 7PM on a Sunday evening. That was certainly true for Season 7, I remember watching Sub Rosa at home one Sunday evening. Has to be one of the worst ever TNG episodes.

Things got vague for me from about 93 onwards as I stopped relying on RTE. I moved to Dublin for college and Sky were running the show every night at 10PM at the time, and at 5PM as well. The college had a Star Trek society also which I joined and we got tapes of the latest episodes from the states and were current when DS9 started as well. Ah, happy days!

thanks for the info
    I moved to Dublin for college and Sky were running the show every night at 10PM at the time, and at 5PM as well. The college had a Star Trek society also which I joined and we got tapes of the latest episodes from the states and were current when DS9 started as well. Ah, happy days!

cool story thanks for sharing :D getting the new episodes tapes from the us haha the old torrent system of the day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

great weather. It was 94/95 I think.
    The hot summer? Wasn't that '96?. Maybe '95.

Legendary, either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

slightly related question. when was TOS first shown on RTE? I have vauge memories of seeing an episode in the late 70's as a child, although it could have been on BBC in someone elses house as we had only 2 channels up to the mid to late 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember seeing TOS on RTE about 80-82. I was too young at the time to appreciate it and it almost put me off watching TNG when it aired because I remembered TOS being very boring, but I was only 7 or 8 so give me a break! It used to be shown about 5PM in the evening if I remember correctly. Those older and wiser than me will be able to shed more reliable light on this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Goodshape wrote: »
    The hot summer? Wasn't that '96?. Maybe '95.

Legendary, either way :)

95 was *the* hot summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I remember seeing TOS on RTE about 80-82. I was too young at the time to appreciate it and it almost put me off watching TNG when it aired because I remembered TOS being very boring, but I was only 7 or 8 so give me a break! It used to be shown about 5PM in the evening if I remember correctly. Those older and wiser than me will be able to shed more reliable light on this however.

yeah I'd say about 82-83 it was on BBC2 everyday around 5 alright, I was around 9-10 and they also showed Dr.Who as well but sometime before or after ST aired
    And then Sky started airing them again in 89 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah I'd say about 82-83 it was on BBC2 everyday around 5 alright, I was around 9-10 and they also showed Dr.Who as well but sometime before or after ST aired
    And then Sky started airing them again in 89 I think

FWIW TOS was originally shown on BBC1 in the late 60s on Saturday afternoon around 5 just after Grandstand. This was the same time slot Dr Who was shown in. The first episode on BBC was Charlie X. I know cos it's etched in my memory :-)
    Also I'm pretty sure Sky started showing them in 91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

Bump!

Attached are some of the RTE air dates taken from TV listings between 1991 and 1994.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Did RTE also ban that TNG episode or was it BBC?

You know the one with the RA in space.

Edit: The High Ground.

Edit 2: It was banned.

From Wiki:

In his study of terrorism, Data notes that Ireland was unified in 2024. As a result, this episode was not originally shown on free-to-air television in the United Kingdom for many years.[1] It was not broadcast in the Republic of Ireland by the Star Trek rights' holder, RTÉ, during the programme's run on that channel, though UK broadcasts were received there. Initial UK airings were edited when shown on satellite channel Sky One.[2] The episode was broadcast unedited in May 2006 on Sky One and finally shown unedited on BBC Two during the third season's repeats after midnight in September 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It's bizarre that it was banned instead of cut. It was only one remark, would have been easy to cut out without interfering with the rest of the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's bizarre that it was banned instead of cut. It was only one remark, would have been easy to cut out without interfering with the rest of the episode.

There was probably a perception at the time that the whole episode was an allegory for the Troubles. And once it was banned, getting it un-banned would have been difficult. I assume Sky never banned it in the first place, so getting the edited version past them was easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it was around the time of the good friday agreement afaik - could have been inflammatory and used as a politicking device.

edit: or maybe not, seems it was supposed to have aired around 1990, the GFA was 1998. Even with the time delays back in those days with stuff not hitting the cinema or tv for a year or two after they'd aired in the US, it doesn't fit. In fact the IRA were still active at that time, so the politicking thing could still be the reason.

Star Trek TNG and Ireland doesn't stop there either, prior to Data's comments in the 1990 episode... there was another episode with an Oirish colony of mostly women and a stuffy british colony of clones that needed to work together (ride each other) so as they could both survive.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_the_Long_Ladder
    While the Irish are portrayed as hard working, hard drinking unsophisticated slobs, with a fairly matriarchal society, the British are portrayed as stiff upper lipped sophisticated and patriarchal snobs who deceitfully steal DNA from the enterprise crew to keep their civilization of clones from dying.

pretty sure there was another TNG one with some Irishness in it, besides O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

a stuffy british colony of clones that needed to work together (ride each other) so as they could both survive..
    If they sounded vaguely British in TNG doesn't that mean they were supposed to be French?

Evade wrote: »
    If they sounded vaguely British in TNG doesn't that mean they were supposed to be French?

that only works for Picard :)

it was around the time of the good friday agreement afaik - could have been inflammatory and used as a politicking device.

edit: or maybe not, seems it was supposed to have aired around 1990, the GFA was 1998. Even with the time delays back in those days with stuff not hitting the cinema or tv for a year or two after they'd aired in the US, it doesn't fit. In fact the IRA were still active at that time, so the politicking thing could still be the reason.

Star Trek TNG and Ireland doesn't stop there either, prior to Data's comments in the 1990 episode... there was another episode with an Oirish colony of mostly women and a stuffy british colony of clones that needed to work together (ride each other) so as they could both survive.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_the_Long_Ladder
    While the Irish are portrayed as hard working, hard drinking unsophisticated slobs, with a fairly matriarchal society, the British are portrayed as stiff upper lipped sophisticated and patriarchal snobs who deceitfully steal DNA from the enterprise crew to keep their civilization of clones from dying.

pretty sure there was another TNG one with some Irishness in it, besides O'Brien

They didn't have British accents.

Data's mother was an O'Donnell and portrayed by an Irish actress. Apart from Chief O'Brien's rendition of the minstrel boy, there weren't any more references to Ireland in TNG.

The HighGround should have aired on RTE in late 1991 or early 1992, but didn't.

They didn't have British accents.

Data's mother was an O'Donnell and portrayed by an Irish actress. Apart from Chief O'Brien's rendition of the minstrel boy, there weren't any more references to Ireland in TNG.

The HighGround should have aired on RTE in late 1991 or early 1992, but didn't.

Didn't Picard read Ulysses during some episode, or some Irish work.

Didn't Picard read Ulysses during some episode, or some Irish work.

Yes but Ireland itself wasn't referenced. Ireland got terrible treatment in Voyager though, and Dublin was mentioned in a DS9 episode.

Yes but Ireland itself wasn't referenced. Ireland got terrible treatment in Voyager though, and Dublin was mentioned in a DS9 episode.

DS9 has a fair few Irish references with O'Brien alright.

Dont get me started on the Irish in Voyager.....

I think Enterprise sent a report to an irish school

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Memory Alpha has the details – http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ireland

• Advertisement

DS9 has a fair few Irish references with O'Brien alright.

Dont get me started on the Irish in Voyager.....

I think Enterprise sent a report to an irish school

in Kerry yeah :) Kenmare i think

Advertisement