Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter Cell Blacklist

  • 02-05-2013 6:12pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭


    sorry if there is already a thread, didnt show up in search though. Spies and Mercs has been shown now and its looking pretty good.


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan


    I didn't see any previous thread, I liked the CoOp of the last game :D

    Strange mix of FPS and 3rd person, will have to wait for a decent gameplay trailer. Looks interesting though


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB


    Had a play of this in January and was very impressed. Only 2 playable levels at that stage, but they were both very enjoyable. The whole game is created in such a way that ever so gently pushes you towards playing it stealthily. Even if you're a shoot first, ask questions later player, you'll be creeping around within half an hour. Haven't had a chance to play Spies and Mercs yet though, but I'm going to try to get over to Ubi Toronto again in the next month or so for an updated look


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson


    COYVB wrote: »
    Had a play of this in January and was very impressed. Only 2 playable levels at that stage, but they were both very enjoyable. The whole game is created in such a way that ever so gently pushes you towards playing it stealthily. Even if you're a shoot first, ask questions later player, you'll be creeping around within half an hour. Haven't had a chance to play Spies and Mercs yet though, but I'm going to try to get over to Ubi Toronto again in the next month or so for an updated look

    Good to hear that's its still promoting stealth, had the feeling it would be leaning more towards run and gun.


    Phew.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse


    Splinter Cell is one of my favourite franchises. Has never disappointed as far as I am concerned. Delighted to see the spies and mercs are back. The mode was introduced in pandora tomorrow but I thought the version in double agent was pure class.

    Not many games I pick up on launch but I've a feeling this will be one of them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji


    Is this more like Conviction or Chaos Theory?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    I have been playing these games lately and have to play Convictions next, I was enjoying Double Agent until that stupid puzzle thing which I couldn't figure out and gave up on it


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch


    Looking forward to this, although to be honest I've only played the first three games in the series on the original Xbox. Spy vs Merc was bloody good fun though - very happy to see this returning.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch


    Here's a wee bit more on Spies vs Mercs (mainly the same video as above but with the addition of French Canadian people talking about stuff).



  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    I've loved the Splinter Cell series and nearly cried when I saw the direction Conviction was supposedly taking in the media. So I didn't get it. Instead, it was last summer's Steam Sale when I got around to it. I'll put it this way. Ubi's cloud kept losing my save file at random moments and this meant I had to play through the game at least 3 times from scratch before I could actually beat it. I didn't mind the repetition one bit. The game was dumbed down in a few ways. Namely that it was ridiculously easier to kill everyone and for some inexplicable reason you could no longer carry or move bodies. Didn't stop me from grabbing them as body shields to hide them.

    But, Conviction somehow also became the game that I put the most hours into in Single player mode. I've absolutely loved every bit and while my favourite level in the SC series will always be Chaos Theory's bank. I don't think I've ever had as much fun in experimenting in sneaking past people or killing them in different ways. Yeah the stealth was still there but mostly only if you chose it. But by God was the killing fun. :D

    One thing I hated though was the way the guards kept shouting at you. Seriously, it was beyond stupid.

    So, I cannot wait for this. They better not mess it up. Going to miss Ironside but my reaction to the first series direction change nearly cost me in missing out a terrific game. I don't intend to make the same mistake twice. I'm going to wait and see before I purchase it but colour me excited. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough


    Jernal wrote: »
    I've loved the Splinter Cell series and nearly cried when I saw the direction Conviction was supposedly taking in the media. So I didn't get it. Instead, it was last summer's Steam Sale when I got around to it. I'll put it this way. Ubi's cloud kept losing my save file at random moments and this meant I had to play through the game at least 3 times from scratch before I could actually beat it. I didn't mind the repetition one bit. The game was dumbed down in a few ways. Namely that it was ridiculously easier to kill everyone and for some inexplicable reason you could no longer carry or move bodies. Didn't stop me from grabbing them as body shields to hide them.

    But, Conviction somehow also became the game that I put the most hours into in Single player mode. I've absolutely loved every bit and while my favourite level in the SC series will always be Chaos Theory's bank. I don't think I've ever had as much fun in experimenting in sneaking past people or killing them in different ways. Yeah the stealth was still there but mostly only if you chose it. But by God was the killing fun. :D

    One thing I hated though was the way the guards kept shouting at you. Seriously, it was beyond stupid.

    So, I cannot wait for this. They better not mess it up. Going to miss Ironside but my reaction to the first series direction change nearly cost me in missing out a terrific game. I don't intend to make the same mistake twice. I'm going to wait and see before I purchase it but colour me excited. :)

    The same thing happened to me, I had heard that the game wasn't the best so I avoided it despite being a fan of all the others. Eventually picked it up over Christmas and ended up really liking it, so i'm looking forward to this one.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    I'm currently playing Conviction and though it's fun and all it just doesn't feel like a Splinter Cell game
    there's no onus on you to complete the level without killing anyone and quite the opposite as they encourage you to kill them, I miss trying to stealth my way through the level
    I think this should have been released as a new IP and kept the old formula for SC


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    Skerries wrote: »
    I'm currently playing Conviction and though it's fun and all it just doesn't feel like a Splinter Cell game
    there's no onus on you to complete the level without killing anyone and quite the opposite as they encourage you to kill them, I miss trying to stealth my way through the level
    I think this should have been released as a new IP and kept the old formula for SC

    With the exception of the first level and other scripted events you don't actually have to kill at all.Yeah the onus is probably less but you're not forced to kill people either. I like it that the game gives you the freedom depending on your mood. There are some moments where it seems totally unavoidable but most of the time there's actually a way to sneak past unnoticed. Sometimes it requires a lot of patience and deft timing. Only level I'm still a sadistic monster is the Iraq level.
    The infiltration mode levels are pretty neat too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen


    Skerries wrote: »
    I'm currently playing Conviction and though it's fun and all it just doesn't feel like a Splinter Cell game
    there's no onus on you to complete the level without killing anyone and quite the opposite as they encourage you to kill them, I miss trying to stealth my way through the levelSC

    I don't think any SC game encouraged me to go either way, it was always a personal challenge to go non-lethal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    I don't think any SC game encouraged me to go either way, it was always a personal challenge to go non-lethal.

    Pandora's Tomorrow. :pac:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer


    Was I the only one who absolutely DETESTED the black and white feature? If you wanted to play stealthy you had no colour in the entire damned game.

    Sickening


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch


    Little preview of the Spies v Mercs multiplayer. Really doesn't reveal a whole lot though.



  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN


    If the the coop is like conviction I'll be all over it and hopefully spy vs merc is like in double agent


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks


    Completely forgot about this with all the gta hype!!

    Can't believe it's out in 2 days, missed out on conviction (no xbox).. anyone know the cheapest place to get it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie


    just finishing dishonored and this will be a nice stealthy follow up on friday!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar


    Anyone playing this at the mo? I generally liked the previous games but this one is quite expensive at the moment...


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks


    Elessar wrote: »
    Anyone playing this at the mo? I generally liked the previous games but this one is quite expensive at the moment...

    Found a conviction port for mac, so I'm probably going to play through this one first. Missed out on it as I only have ps3. Getting great reviews though! :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera


    Demo-ing it at the minute.

    Big noticeable thing is the voice.

    Nice bump in difficulty when trying for pure stealth, or it might just be me being stupid.

    See how it goes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen


    There seems to be a lot to this game. Tons of upgrades to gear and The Paladin. With 4 side missions (mixed between SP and Coop) coming out of the first proper mission. I hope for more of the same for the rest of the game.

    I'm not sure the controls are perfect, I keep hitting Space to take cover when it's Q to take cover and Space to move between covers.

    So far a pure Ghost run of a level is pretty far out of reach for me, which is brilliant. As a vet of every other Splinter Cell game on PS2 and PC I thought I could take on Realistic Difficulty.
    Nope.
    Which makes me happy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982


    Playing this enjoying it, but annoying thing is the buttons, sometimes when up high I go for cover but he drops down onto ledge.Same with moving to covers he can vault instead of moving to cover he vaults the cover he is hiding in already.

    Bought upgarde for pistol for red dot sight won't work?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen


    dave1982 wrote: »
    Bought upgarde for pistol for red dot sight won't work?

    Have you equipped it or something?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen


    Also, if anyone is interested in Coop or Vs add me on .... ugh.... uPlay.
    DScratch.

    I help run Gaellords.com and we have a 512-slot TeamSpeak 3 server free for anyones use. (host:gaellords.com)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982


    Have you equipped it or something?

    Yeah bought and equipped with money I got paid for completing mission.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera


    There seems to be a lot to this game. Tons of upgrades to gear and The Paladin. With 4 side missions (mixed between SP and Coop) coming out of the first proper mission. I hope for more of the same for the rest of the game.

    I'm not sure the controls are perfect, I keep hitting Space to take cover when it's Q to take cover and Space to move between covers.

    So far a pure Ghost run of a level is pretty far out of reach for me, which is brilliant. As a vet of every other Splinter Cell game on PS2 and PC I thought I could take on Realistic Difficulty.
    Nope.
    Which makes me happy.
    This.

    Amount of times I've died after vaulting over something instead of going into cover :/

    Realistic is pretty damn tough going.

    Struggled thru a few sections in the first 2 missions.

    Don't wanna get caught in a firefight, ammo is scare for your own weapons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    I have been going through the older games as I had played the original and loved it but never got back to the series until lately

    so I have recently played Chaos Theory, Conviction and Double Agent but got stuck on that stupid cube puzzle that you had to unlock a computer and never went back to it
    But I was trying to get my boxed copy of Pandora Tomorrow to work on Win 7 without any joy, has any one managed it?
    btw I much prefer the older ones as they were more stealth based as the later ones turned into more run and gun


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks


    Thankfully from the reviews I've read, blacklist returns to its stealth focused roots, can't wait to get it! ;)


Advertisement