Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aviva Car insurance Renewal 450% increase.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Weirdly enough I got my renewal quote off Aviva this week, a jump from 900 odd euro to a shade just under 1500 .They couldn't explain the price increase apart from the car but just with some bull**** about my "high performance" car .I've gone elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They've been doing this to me every year for the past four years now - renewal quote comes in at €1500ish and we end up settling in the late six hundreds. It seems ridiculous but hey, they're always cheapest for me in the end.

Anan1 wrote: »
    They've been doing this to me every year for the past four years now - renewal quote comes in at €1500ish and we end up settling in the late six hundreds. It seems ridiculous but hey, they're always cheapest for me in the end.

Price was non negotiable I was told.Tried a quote as a new customer/through brokers and they were even more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

techdiver wrote: »
    If the EU ruling means they can't discriminate, why has male insurance not come down at the same rate as the increase to female??

So the insurance companies have taken the ruling to mean they can just scalp people more??

Yeah, exactly. It pretty much legalised increasing women's premiums to match mens. As there is no differentiation, there is no comparison and it easy to put any change down to the legislation. Its just smart (yet somewhat immoral) business on their part.

Price was non negotiable I was told.Tried a quote as a new customer/through brokers and they were even more expensive.
    There's no rhyme or reason to insurance, all we can do is shop around every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Larbre34 wrote: »

123.ie all the way.....

Not so, I had been with 123.ie for the past three years as they were the cheapest but their renewal quote at the end of March increased nearly 100%. Male, 3 years no claims, 0 penalty points, 1.9l 2001 car. After ringing every insurance firm I found the cheapest for a comparable policy to be with FBD. Don't accept anyone's online quote either, you can usually bargain a better price over the phone and push them on their first and second "best" price offer.

• Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

There's no rhyme or reason to insurance, all we can do is shop around every time.

Indeed I paid 390 last year to Aviva for me and wife then I got 2 points for speeding which pushed my renewal up to 988 euros and we are both mid thirties with 10 years NCB. I went with AXA for 320 with no claims protection and all the extras..

Weirdly enough,only 2 companies will quote me.There's not much shopping I can do apart from playing the brokers off against each other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

An interesting one for you all. 24 year old male no accidents no points no convictions no pending convictions last year €960* this year €690* gave them a ring they came down to €613.

Rang elsewhere and companies were charging the above rates and more for TPF&T. Have fully comp insurance with Aviva at the minute.

* figure rounded to nearest €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

29 year old male 5years no claims full license only 3 months no points €538 fully comp 07 focus St 2.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

If an insurance company is quoting a 350%/450% increase in your renewal, they dont want to insure someone with your risk profile anymore, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wouldn't bear any ill will towards an insurance company. I simply take my business to the cheapest. I have done this every year. You never now how it will work out. This year's expensive company could be next year's cheapest quote, all because you might just fall into the particular risk profile they are targeting / excluding that year.

Last year, when I renewed (33 at the time, 8+ NCB, BMW 318, female), I went with Aviva in the region of €400 as they were the best at the time.

Mind you, it will probably be fun next month when my insurance is up, thanks to all this equalisation scalping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

gorfield wrote: »
    To Whom it may (better) concern.

My wife (client no xxxxxxxxx) received her renewal this morning for the above policy.

Last years renewal was €440, the renewal received today was for €1885.42, an increase of 350%.

She's 33, full ncb, 0 penalty points.

I called for an explanation and was told the increase was due to legislation to bring women drivers policies up to the same rates as males and was also due to high numbers of claims aviva received this year. My wife has since received a quote for €388 from another company.

I'm sorry but that's horse manure for an explanation to a customer that's been loyal for 7 years.

I am looking for an answer to my query immediately. I have contacted Today FM and Ray D'arcy show want full details of the situation as they have a slot on this very subject on Tuesday.

Please treat this letter as a complaint. And I expect a phonecall today

Sent this to aviva customer care department. Fully expect to hear nothing.

I doubt that they can contact you in any event as you are not the policyholder! Being a named driver would not make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

A renewal has rarely been cheaper for me.

Got my renewal from FBD last November which was €750
    I went online and took out a new policy again with FBD, same details (car/license/address) and it was suddenly down to €580 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Mind you, it will probably be fun next month when my insurance is up, thanks to all this equalisation scalping.

Just ran my details through Aviva's quoting engine, and I get €430 (with my partner as a named driver). No terrible complaints there, although I will be shopping around as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Marcusm wrote: »
    I doubt that they can contact you in any event as you are not the policyholder! Being a named driver would not make a difference.

Im a nominated contact on the policy, they have been back to me apologising for the problem and assured me their renewal managment team will contact me tomorrow to discuss the problem.

we will see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but i will be renewing my car insurance soon and would like to try 123.ie.

The thing is, i used to have an endorsement many years ago but i don't have one now, but on 123's insurance quote it says did you ever have an endorsement...why do they ask did you ever have one as i thought once you haven't had one in 5 years normally with other insurance companies it's ok.

i had an endorsement over 20 years ago so if i tell them i don't have one and they check, they could refuse me insurance even though it was over 20 years ago that i had one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Same here regardless of which car I actually left on the policy it was jumping up €400 almost.
    I received the same bull of you are driving a high performance car.
    They were not sure why my premium was staying up on the 1.4 it would only reduce it slightly.

There wasn't even an attempt to keep my business.

So I did the right thing and left.

Reset up the policy of the 1.4 with them through my wife for the same price as last year.

Don't do them any favours and just go to somebody else.

zenno wrote: »
    i had an endorsement over 20 years ago so if i tell them i don't have one and they check, they could refuse me insurance even though it was over 20 years ago that i had one ?
    It would suit them better to take your money and then cancel the policy if you ever needed to claim. They're unlikely to care anyway, why not do yourself a favour and tell the truth?

It would suit them better to take your money and then cancel the policy if you ever needed to claim. They're unlikely to care anyway, why not do yourself a favour and tell the truth?

I am telling the truth, I got the endorsement 21 years ago, but i don't have one now, but i see what you mean but i think they don't insure you even if it was 21 years ago. Sure i'll try them anyway and see.

• Advertisement

I am telling the truth, I got the endorsement 21 years ago, but i don't have one now, but i see what you mean but i think they don't insure you even if it was 21 years ago. Sure i'll try them anyway and see.
    Better to have them say no now than some time down the road when you really need them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

My insurance is up for renewal in two weeks.

24 years old, full licence 5 years, 5 years no claims, no penalty points. 2004 Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel

AA: €505 tpft

Liberty: €514 tpft includes windscreen cover and no claims protection and cover to drive other cars.

Aviva: €984 tpft excluding windscreen cover and no claims protection no open drive. when i add them it jumps to €1,168

Aviva must not want any business from any young drivers. Anyone have any experience of their insurance becoming cheaper once they reach 25?

MikeD22 wrote: »
    My insurance is up for renewal in two weeks.

24 years old, full licence 5 years, 5 years no claims, no penalty points. 2004 Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel

AA: €505 tpft

Liberty: €514 tpft includes windscreen cover and no claims protection and cover to drive other cars.

Aviva: €984 tpft excluding windscreen cover and no claims protection no open drive. when i add them it jumps to €1,168

Aviva must not want any business from any young drivers. Anyone have any experience of their insurance becoming cheaper once they reach 25?

Aviva are the most expensive as far as i know and i was with them 2 years ago and they upped the insurance as well majorly so i went with AA-AXA but if you try 123.ie you should get the best quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Aviva are the most expensive as far as i know and i was with them 2 years ago and they upped the insurance as well majorly so i went with AA-AXA but if you try 123.ie you should get the best quote.

Tried them and got €712

MikeD22 wrote: »
    Tried them and got €712

Wow, i didn't expect that kind of price from them, especially with a full license and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Be careful with the 123.ie's and Insure.ie's of this world.

They may be initially cheaper, but if you make any amendment, even if they insurance company they place you with wont charge for it, they will charge €40 or something for "administration".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Try FBD lads, I am 32 and got a took a policy out with them in Jan it was €290. Most of the lads i work with then in turn went with FBD and saved loads (i dont work for them even tho it sounds like i do ! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Aviva had a great deal that ended last month... my renewal was usually 350 but I got it for 280 with all the bells and whistles (NCD protection etc.). I'm actually surprised that people are saying the price went up?

My mistake.. the offer is still going on, 20%off and first 8 weeks free?
    http://www.aviva.ie/online/get-a-car-quote/?medium=cpc&?medium=cpc&gclid=COGp2rmM-rYCFUJa4AodFVMAMw

PS I was with AVIVA for 6 years. I cancelled my policy before Xmas and just returned to them a few weeks ago. Didnt even need to send in my dirvers license or NCD etc as they had it all still on file but I still got the new members rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Marcusm wrote: »

Aviva will deal with you if you have consent from your partner (she would have to contact them and give permission for them to discuss the policy with you).

My renewal went down, my wife's went up (both with Aviva). This year, I can't actually improve on it with 123.ie or insure.ie, so I'm going to stick with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

First ireland gave me a good quote the last couple of years.

Advertisement