Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls - where do ye buy your bras?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I just haven't got the money for spending €30 upwards on one bra so I'm wondering, where do ye ladies recommend buying underwear.

I can never seem to get it right. Penney's and Dunnes are brutal for sliding straps, being lumpy and generally unsupported and uncomfortable. I can't really think of anywhere else in Sligo apart from NEXT, TK Maxx and Ophelia (which is really expensive). Although I have bought the odd CK One bra in TK Maxx, their selection is mostly terrible and matching is a nightmare and all the popular sizes are always gone.

Anyone any ideas? What is NEXT like? I've never tried them.

I'm only a B cup, barely, but have a broad back, I was measured once in M&S in Liffey Valley and told I was a 36B but could be an A in some styles. I find if I buy an A that I get spillage but if I buy a B I have that awful looking gap at the top part of the cup, it looks empty until about halfway down and when I tighten the straps, the back strap ends up riding up between my shoulder blades, it's just a nightmare!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I find M&S are great for cheaper bras. Now they're not super cheap but a lot better quality than Pennys and Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I just go for m&s, got a sports bra from pennys too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Debenhams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Next bras are nice. Also tescos bras fit quite weel also depending on the style. I have the same "spillage" problems; so I only wear balcony bras now and that has sorted the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Unfortunately there is no M&S or Debehams in Sligo, the choice is really limited. I had tried on several in M&S when I was last in Liffey Valley about 3 months ago and even from a huge selection, I didn't feel as though any fitted me correctly.

What's so annoying is that Penney's used to do a very basic padded t-shirt bra in black, white, nude and they used to have non-slip straps, they kind of had a plasticy grip stuff on the inside of the strap and they used to be brilliant at €6, they stopped doing them about a year ago and since then I have been doomed. I have been in the Penney's in Galway, Mary Street etc, all the big ones and none of them have them. So I suppose I am looking for something similar. They weren't over padded either, they molded to your shape.

• Advertisement

Next bras are nice. Also tescos bras fit quite weel also depending on the style. I have the same "spillage" problems; so I only wear balcony bras now and that has sorted the problem!

That's really interesting actually because I used to always stay well away from balcony bras because I thought they looked so uncomfortable but I loved one in Penney's that was very pretty around Valentine's day that was champagne colored lace with the pearl drop in the middle and it has been the only comfortable, no slip, no spillage bra I have had in months. Must look in Tesco, thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This probably sounds a bit silly to you, but with the fit problems you describe it sounds like you are almost certainly wearing the wrong size (and given that M&S fit you that's very likely, they are absolute garbage at fitting). The band riding up at the back is a strong indicator that your band is too big and your cup size is too small - try a 34C or even a 32D (keeps same volume but gives a tighter band). Most of your support should come from your band and you're not getting any if the band is riding up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Thanks the lord for small boobs - Penneys all the way :p

This probably sounds a bit silly to you, but with the fit problems you describe it sounds like you are almost certainly wearing the wrong size (and given that M&S fit you that's very likely, they are absolute garbage at fitting). The band riding up at the back is a strong indicator that your band is too big and your cup size is too small - try a 34C or even a 32D (keeps same volume but gives a tighter band). Most of your support should come from your band and you're not getting any if the band is riding up.

That doesn't sound silly at all, in fact you are probably spot on. I will look into that and try a 34 with a combo of cups and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

All my bras come from m and s - wouldn't buy them anywhere else! The range of sizes and styles is great, they're comfortable and not too expensive. I can't buy bras in places like Penney's because they don't do my size so m and s is a great mid-price alternative. I find with other brands as well I'll need to try a variety of sizes for each style but m and s is fairly consistent. I remember when La Senza was still open their sizes were tiny and I'd have to try on 4 different sizes to get one bra I liked.

Bought all my maternity/nursing bras in marks as well, they were much cheaper than buying them in Mothercare or other maternity places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    The range of sizes and styles is great, they're comfortable and not too expensive.

I'm of the opinion that they're grand up to about an E cup. They are decent value up to about that point and they are one of the few cheap small band options (not many other cheap retailers do a 28 band that runs quite small).

In larger sizes, the construction is poor - they seem to simply scale up a DD rather than recognising that G+ cups really do need a bit more structure, and they can be quite uncomfortable because of that. They also lack an FF cup in their range which makes determining sizes bigger than that a bit more complicated.

Incidentally, I can't buy anything there because I'm sized out. I would be a 32H in their bras and in that cup size they make nothing smaller than a 34 band.

The Debenhams sale is absolutely brilliant for stocking up on cheap bras though in all sizes - they have a lot of stuff at 50-70% off, which means a lot of very nice bras for somewhere in the €7-€20 range. Go into the stores though, because they rarely put the good deals online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Fair enough - 32E is the biggest size I've had to buy (I'm not counting the maternity bras because that's not real! :)) so have no experience with bigger sizes there. I would be buying in the D/DD and E range (depending on weight loss/gain) and find them good for that.

I've also bought Elle MacPherson bras (I think they sell them in Ireland in some department stores) and found them quite good but not cheap, unless you get them on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I find bras are bloody difficult to get right.

Even if you find a manufacturer or chain store range you like, there's so much variaton between the different styles they produce that in order to get maybe 5 different ones that fit well you could be trying on 20 or more in varying band and cup sizes.

I'm cheap and an odd size so I like M&S when it's sale time and TK Maxx (though IMO the latter have definitely gone to the dogs in the last couple of years).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If you want to buy online, keep an eye on the sale section on Bravissimo, there's often good bargains for high quality brands. http://www.bravissimo.com/products/sale/lingerie/ You can search by size and type of bra.

I buy my own in Arnotts, and get measured there too. Not cheap (€30+) but I see them as a bit of an investment for the everyday bras that I'll be washing and wearing very often. My last two were by Triumph. I have a few nice bras from M&S and Floozie @ Debenhams too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Marks and Spencer all the way for me! Even though I'm only a 34B I find it impossible to get bras in Penney's they just never seem to fit right. To make matters worse I can't wear underwire, I just can't. I don't know if others have this problem but I just find them unbelievably uncomfortable. M&S does a small padded non-underwired range which suits me down to the ground and they fit me really well, really feel supported in them. It's a pity though the the non-underwired ones are either boring or very ugly looking!:( I got two bras for 22 euro there as well, worth paying it for the comfort. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I find this site very good for the variety of choice they offer, they deliver to Ireland and they have good sales fairly regularly.
    You can get really well made, top brands, at a much cheaper price than they would be sold for here if you watch out. Just checked and there are some bargains there now.
    http://www.freshpair.com/womens/bras.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

OP, a good way of knowing if your band fits properly is that you shouldn't be able to fasten the clasp at it's tightest when you first put it on. The bra will stretch out a bit as you wear it; if you have it on the tightest hook before you've worn it for a while, the back strap will slide up.

Bra shopping is a nightmare for me too; I'm a 30/32 FF, but the cup size changes a lot depending on weight gain/loss and whether I'm on the pill. Right now I only have three bras that fit properly right now, and one is strapless :(

B0jangles wrote: »
    TK Maxx (though IMO the latter have definitely gone to the dogs in the last couple of years).

Couldn't agree with this more, TK Maxx used to have a great selection of lingerie, wonderbra, Calvin Klein, DKNY, Triumph etc, not they only have 1 odd of everything, nothing to match and crap brands I have never heard of.

Marks and Spencer all the way for me! Even though I'm only a 34B I find it impossible to get bras in Penney's they just never seem to fit right. To make matters worse I can't wear underwire, I just can't. I don't know if others have this problem but I just find them unbelievably uncomfortable. M&S does a small padded non-underwired range which suits me down to the ground and they fit me really well, really feel supported in them. It's a pity though the the non-underwired ones are either boring or very ugly looking!:( I got two bras for 22 euro there as well, worth paying it for the comfort. :)

I find this interesting too. I would never have considered non-wire! I always presumed they looked kind of floppy or created a flat-chested look, that they compressed as opposed to lifted/sculpted. What kind of effect do they create for you?

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    OP, a good way of knowing if your band fits properly is that you shouldn't be able to fasten the clasp at it's tightest when you first put it on. The bra will stretch out a bit as you wear it; if you have it on the tightest hook before you've worn it for a while, the back strap will slide up.

Bra shopping is a nightmare for me too; I'm a 30/32 FF, but the cup size changes a lot depending on weight gain/loss and whether I'm on the pill. Right now I only have three bras that fit properly right now, and one is strapless :(

I'm a 36 or at least I think I am and they would be 3 clasp ones, I would vary between the middle to most outer/loosest clasp and it still rides up a bit on me. Interesting point about the pill, I was hoping that going on the pill 3 years ago was going to increase my size but unfortunately it didn't have any effect, I then lost some weight and now they are smaller than they ever were :(

• Advertisement

Ambersky wrote: »
    I find this site very good for the variety of choice they offer, they deliver to Ireland and they have good sales fairly regularly.
    You can get really well made, top brands, at a much cheaper price than they would be sold for here if you watch out. Just checked and there are some bargains there now.
    http://www.freshpair.com/womens/bras.html

This is as great website, only thing I would be worried about is import duty. Isn't it any value over €22 carries import charges from the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

With regard to bra measurements (and if you are experiencing the strap riding up, spillage etc you are not wearing the correct size), take a look at www.venusianglow.com/2008/04/bra-matrix.html for the best guide I've found to measure yourself!

Speeds

Twee. wrote: »
    If you want to buy online, keep an eye on the sale section on Bravissimo, there's often good bargains for high quality brands. http://www.bravissimo.com/products/sale/lingerie/ You can search by size and type of bra.

I buy my own in Arnotts, and get measured there too. Not cheap (€30+) but I see them as a bit of an investment for the everyday bras that I'll be washing and wearing very often. My last two were by Triumph. I have a few nice bras from M&S and Floozie @ Debenhams too.

That's a great website, watched the fitting videos, very imformative, worth a look, thanks twee.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

I usually buy them in Hunkemoller.
    Lovely quality and really comfortable to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

M&S normally. It's beside my house and they have a big selection. I bought some in Victoria's Secret in the US in March. They have some good ones but a lot have crazy padding. I'm already a D so I don't want to be any bigger!

I find this interesting too. I would never have considered non-wire! I always presumed they looked kind of floppy or created a flat-chested look, that they compressed as opposed to lifted/sculpted. What kind of effect do they create for you?

I suppose if they weren't padded they might give you a more flat-chested look but the padded ones are grand for me anyway.:) I don't know if they give it a lift but they definitely look fine. That probably doesn't help much, but I don't know how to describe it well :p. But I know my breasts are well supported and they look fine to me! I'm not sure how non-wired would look if you had bigger breasts, maybe they need the underwire for extra support.:)
    What really gets me is that depending on the different bra stores you go into, you can be different sizes! Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I seem to be one of the only people I know that finds it difficult to find bras small enough for me :o I'm a 32-34A. But Penney's bras in an A cup are just too big. Same with a few other brands.

I usually just stick with Calvin Klein bras (usually from Tk Maxx) because I know they fit me...

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I seem to be one of the only people I know that finds it difficult to find bras small enough for me :o I'm a 32-34A. But Penney's bras in an A cup are just too big. Same with a few other brands.

I usually just stick with Calvin Klein bras (usually from Tk Maxx) because I know they fit me...
    That's one of the reasons I stay away from Penney's for bras anyway, their sizes seem to be all over the place. I've tried 34B there and they're too small tried other sizes near to that and they don't seem to fit well either. I'm hardly Katie Price like, not to mention all their stuff is all underwire, my worst enemy!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get fitted?

Noticed someone said earlier to avoid M&S and they probably would have been my first choice. Would it not depend completely on the girl you get?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got measured in Debenhams (lots of branches nationwide) before and found them very good. They do black and white/nude two packs for good value too. They often do offers too where if you get measured you get a money off voucher for bras.

Can't remember where I read it, but it was something like M&S bras aren't consistent with other brands sizing, so you get measured say for a 34D in M&S, then go to look for the same size in another brand and find it doesn't fit, so, you end up back at M&S. I've no idea how true this is, I only pick up the odd bra there and don't get measured there. But I had a similar problem in Victoria's Secret in the US. I'm a 32DD, and they actually don't stock that size and they were trying to sell me a different size instead.

Advertisement