Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Artist Photographer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've just had a look at some of his other photos (from a similar event and location) and they looked fine to me. Not sure what went wrong here... Do you have any good photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

No doubt they are awful. Most guests with their point and shoots would have been able to get better, quite a lot better really.

I don't think you have any real come back short of just naming and shaming the guy. If no contract was signed then the basics of a legally binding verbal contract still apply, and unfortunately for you were also fulfilled. As in, you paid him to take photos of the event and you received photos of the event. If contracts were in place there could have been some clause to cover unsatisfactory standards.

In normal circumstances I probably would have gone on a "you get what you pay for" type rant but it does seem in this case genuinely you were duped. It seems hard to imagine how anyone who could take such a poor standard of photo could possibly have passed themselves off as a photographer so perhaps the images from his website were stolen from another site. You can't be blamed for that.

It serves no purpose now but for what its worth if you had posted on here looking for a photographer, you'd have got quite a few replies from photographers with long standing histories on here, who've posted hundreds of photos and would typically be able to provide plenty of references if requested.

Its an unfortunate situation but for what its worth don't let this be the lasting memory of the party. I do firmly believe you should name and shame him though as it might save other people going through similar experiences with him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've just had a look at some of his other photos (from a similar event and location)

How did you manage that? Linky?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Op has shown 10 awful photos. Surely the photographer supplied more than 10 so can we see a few more? Maybe show some of the ones you were happy with (if any).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

small claims court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

small claims court

He charged for photography. He took photos and delivered them.
    Unless you can prove that his portfolio contained photos that were not his own work, I can't see you winning that case.

What a scoundrel though. Those photos are horriffic!

OP I feel sorry for you, but you hired a cowboy. Just like with any other service, when you look for the cheapest you can find, there are a lot of cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Bet ya he had a facebook page :pac:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

dazftw wrote: »
    Bet ya he had a facebook page :pac:

a facebook page and a facebook photography page ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

condra wrote: »
    He charged for photography. He took photos and delivered them.
    Unless you can prove that his portfolio contained photos that were not his own work, I can't see you winning that case.

What a scoundrel though. Those photos are horriffic!

OP I feel sorry for you, but you hired a cowboy. Just like with any other service, when you look for the cheapest you can find, there are a lot of cowboys.

Not correct - the services have to be honest , true , fit for purpose and as described. No small claims court will uphold this rubbish & posting this to put off the OP is very mean spirited - sour grapes?
    OP a few suggestions - follow up on the suggestion re Google & the website. Either way you have the rubbish images & CD's a proof he existed - perhaps also someone who can verify that he/she existed, receptionist at hotel who you asked to let him into venue /emails/ bills for your phone loggging calls to his phone to organise & give directions etc. And the phone bills logging attempts to contact him - all v useful for a small claims case.

I would also report him to revenue - and ask them to investigate a company not giving receipts - did he charge you for VAT - if so all the more reason to get them involved . That will focus him where it hurts - his pocket.

Shocking thing to happen. I'd be posting a link to his website to warn others & save them the issues you've been having. I'd also be listing in a more wider read forum - let more people know.

Sorry for your problems : ( its a fair bit if cash to be scammed with rubbish substandard services not to mention the opportunity cost & disappointment.

The agreement/contract was for professional standard family & friend shots of a special celebration. Whether you paid e50 an hour or e10 an hour you should not have been delivered this rubbish & left with the anger, stress & upset caused by their unprofessional " service" and substandard work .

: (

small claims court

Big boards court. :pac:

There are at least 178 photos, going by the serial numbers, and (so far) 10 really bad ones.

I'm not convinced yet... 2 CDs? How many (jpeg) photos in total?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

posting this to put off the OP..
    I posted it to "put off the OP" in the same way you posted your last comment to import cashmere from Mongolia.
    ...is very mean spirited -
    I'm not mean spirited at all. How mean spiritied of you to accuse me of being mean spirited.
    sour grapes?
    No. What is your problem?

I posted my objective opinion of the situation, i.e. that it could be a waste of time persuing legal action. Nothing more, nothing less. No mean spirits. No sour grapes. I have the OPs best interests in mind. So chill with the virtual finger pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jeeaysus...he didn't even attempt to make an effort

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Could it be the case that the photographer might have saved all the pics taken on the night onto the cd by mistake and not just the intended edited selection of pics only?

The pictures are too bizarre, I just can't imagine them being intended for inclusion in edited selection.

We could just keep making stuff up here. No OP and no photographer to defend himself...

OP "How many photos did you take on the night?"

Tog "About 200, but that will be edited down to 40 or so."

OP "I paid you, and I want ALL of the photos. They're mine."

Tog "No, sorry, some are.."

OP "I paid you, I want all of them".

Tog ".but.."

OP "ALL YOUR PHOTOS ARE BELONG TO US!".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

We could just keep making stuff up here. No OP and no photographer to defend himself...

See now here's what I was thinking- the photographer's a Boardsie!

And there's some subleties afoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ShaneWalshEire

Some great shots there, you got your moneys worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

That's a bit strange the way he droped the cd in your letterbox and then fecked off. Definitely dodgy. TBH I rarely see good photos when it comes to indoor events like that. That lighting is terrible. It's better to get a friend to take the photos with their phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Maybe he's some kind of new breakthrough trendsetting photographer ?
    F794B228CABF44AAA1D9CB7F7A2989B9-0000363876-0003235923-00500L-703D82D39CE149B8867451A293D8E363.jpg

Just look at the contrast between the black and white there, and that "happy birthday sign" - I like the way he's cut it ... trying to make it look amateur - genius

It's like bad acting, a really good actor can act ´bad acting´ - if you know what i mean ! ..

OP I think €120 is a bargain, these bad boys could be worth a FORTUNE when this guy breaks into the Pulitzer prize winning photo realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ImagenEstilo

Is this photographer guy not just taking the p1ss?

S/He has got to be. How can anyone possibly think of delivering photos like that to a client.

I've not read all 4 pages of the thread but I think as someone previous pointed out, this guy must have his website active for a while if he is appearing in the first say 5 pages of Google for those keywords mentioned. You don't just land on Google, especially where competition is high.

Also, Google will still retain copies of pages/site even if it has been removed. Site owners sill recognise this when they get broken URLs that actually are not broken at all.

I genuinely cannot get over this. They are the worst photos I have ever seen that were created by a so-called professional, so bad that it just seems to me like a prank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

OP "How many photos did you take on the night?"

Tog "About 200, but that will be edited down to 40 or so."

OP "I paid you, and I want ALL of the photos. They're mine."

Tog "No, sorry, some are.."

OP "I paid you, I want all of them".

Tog ".but.."

OP "ALL YOUR PHOTOS ARE BELONG TO US!".

I actually think this is EXACTLY what happened. My wife is semi pro and would never hand over 200 shots from a 2 hr session. The good shots would be processed and handed over and the rest discarded. If any client got ALL the photos they would be WTF, I gots me ripped off by a scam artist, loads of these are cr@p!!!11eleven!!one!

Every shoot of a crowd indoors has these types of shots, its just bewildering why the photographer didnt delete them as that's the first thing that we do after a shoot.

If the OP got 20 good pics then she got her moneys worth IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The 10 posted photos are shocking but I'd still be interested in seeing the 10 best shots for comparison sake.

Can't imagine that they're a whole lot better as there's a lot more wrong with those photos than backs of and cut-off heads.

Everybody will get a few of these, at any indoor party especially, but the last thing you do is let anyone see them!!

Obviously this guy still hasn't gotten around to using the 'P' for Professional Mode :rolleyes:

Advertisement