Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Artist Photographer

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice. I hired a 'professional' photographer for my sisters surprise 50th birthday. The pictures we got back were horrific. Blurred, heads cut off, backs of heads, etc. So my questions are:

1. What kind of come back do I have?
    (I have already paid, and he is not answering calls, emails or texts)

2. How can I warn other people about not using him?

I am more than happy to share the photos he took to show the damage.

If I have posted in the wrong place, please feel free to move, mods. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Let us see a few photos so we can comment please

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

I uploaded about 10 of them to pix.ie
    The link is:

http://pix.ie/usblonde

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How did you hire them?Recommended or seen other work?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That's mental! Woooooohoooooo nuts!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrhshahahaha...

Ok, you are right the pix are beyond utter crap ( I kinda like'm:)) but did you really pay a professional? Does this Pro have a website?

The reason I ask is that they look like pics from someone with a camera that was asked to do some photos and was paid as opposed to someone that advertises that they do photos of events ( if you get my drift?).

Most pros have websites these days, could you provide a link to it? Or at least let us know how this...eh...photographer was hired in the first place?

Oh Lordy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

humberklog wrote: »
    That's mental! Woooooohoooooo nuts!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrhshahahaha...

Ok, you are right the pix are beyond utter crap ( I kinda like'm:)) but did you really pay a professional? Does this Pro have a website?

The reason I ask is that they look like pics from someone with a camera that was asked to do some photos and was paid as opposed to someone that advertises that they do photos of events ( if you get my drift?).

Most pros have websites these days, could you provide a link to it? Or at least let us know how this...eh...photographer was hired in the first place?

Oh Lordy...
    Did you pay him they are muck

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    Did you pay him they are muck

Huh? I think you quoted the wrong post? Maybe?

I've nothing to do with the pics or OP.

I wish I did!

He wasn't recommened, I had seen pictures on his website, which now I question if they were even his photos. His website is gone, I think he had a few, but the one I originally visited has been removed. On the night I explained exactly what I wanted, posed photos of everyone there, and the use of some birthday props I provided, plus a group shot of everyone. I paid him that night, and even gave him a tip. 2 days later at 11pm I heard something in the letterbox, and it was 2 cds with all the pictures, he hadn't bother to even ring the bell. I have emailed him, rang him, and texted him, he isn't replying to anything. I'm just so angry that we don't have any proper photos and that I trusted him as a professional to deliver.

Where did you come across the website? Google? If so what did you type in?

I'm asking as it would be odd to have top of page on a Google search if you we're a scam artist.

Also, how much did you pay?

It may sound a cheeky question but it is very important in order to contextualise the whole problem.

Oh and how far did the person who took the pics have to travel?

Price paid and distance traveled? Vital info.

I just googled 'dublin freelance photographers' and looked through some of the websites. I contacted a few different photographers, and told them what we needed and what our budget was, he agreed. He had a professional SLR camera, and seemed to be doing a good job throughout the night.

By scam artist I mean, he was advertising as being a professional, when in fact he was not. Just because you can push the button on a camera, does not make you a professional.

• Advertisement

By scam artist I mean, he was advertising as being a professional, when in fact he was not. Just because you can push the button on a camera, does not make you a professional.

In fairness that's pretty well known on this forum, a lot of excellent pros on here.

Price and distance for job?

I honestly have no idea where he lives in Dublin, so couldn't tell you how far he had to drive. The party was on near Newlands Cross, so it could be anywhere from 5mins to 30mins depending on where he lives in Dublin. I'd prefer not to say how much I paid him. If he wasn't comfortable or confident in taking the pictures for that amount he should have said so, and I could have found someone else. Surely he wouldn't take bad pictures because he thought I was under paying him??

Just because you can push the button on a camera, does not make you a professional.

A lesson a lot of people learn the hard way.

How much did you pay, out of curiousity? From reading between the lines, it seems you contacted a few and went with the cheapest option..?

EDIT:
    I'd prefer not to say how much I paid him.

Sorry, didn't see that part.

I honestly have no idea where he lives in Dublin, so couldn't tell you how far he had to drive. The party was on near Newlands Cross, so it could be anywhere from 5mins to 30mins depending on where he lives in Dublin. I'd prefer not to say how much I paid him. If he wasn't comfortable or confident in taking the pictures for that amount he should have said so, and I could have found someone else. Surely he wouldn't take bad pictures because he thought I was under paying him??

But if you bought a milky moo ice pop for 25p and tried to compare it to a Magnum for 2.50p it wouldn't be right.

This forum is informed and helpful, without knowing the price paid it is impossible to say if you did not get value for money.

Price in this (your thread) is vital.

KKV, yes we went with the cheapest option, as we were on a tight budget. I'd rather not say how much it was, but maybe that was the factor as to why the pictures were so bad. We paid 120 euro for 2 hours.

That's a lot of sponds for the back of heads. Maybe not a lot for a pro photographer but everyone's on budget these days so I can see where you're coming from.

I hope you understand why it was important to know and sorry for having to ask.

Did you get to know his real name? (Don't put it up here though).

KKV, yes we went with the cheapest option, as we were on a tight budget. I'd rather not say how much it was, but maybe that was the factor as to why the pictures were so bad. We paid 120 euro for 2 hours.

That's not cheap at all. Small claims court straight away!

Yes, I have his name, email and mobile number. I thought maybe he had done it out of spite if I had underpaid him. I have no idea what the average rate is for a photographer.

Yes, I have his name, email and mobile number. I thought maybe he had done it out of spite if I had underpaid him. I have no idea what the average rate is for a photographer.

Look for a receipt and document your request.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Its money paid and a very very poor effort

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks for the tips guys. I wasn't sure what to do, or what could be done.

I will look into what I can do with only his name, email and phone number. I don't have an address or a VAT number, as we didn't get a receipt. Or is that normal in photography?

I wouldn't consider that underpaid at all.

Overpaid more like it. He clearly charged you about €50 per hour (taking into account time spent delivering photos, talking to you beforehand etc.).

When I do an event (or any job) I generally tend to spend the same amount of time at the PC as I did actually taking the photos (hence I'd never do a 2 hour party). This guys seems to have done no editing at all and made no effort whatsoever to put his hands up and take it on the chin (he obviously knows he made a mess of it).

If that were me it'd be an instant refund, grovelling apology and a voucher for something. I'd imagine the majority of pros out there would have a similar approach.

Can you give us his website? Even if it's down, Google can sometimes get pages off it (so you can take screen-prints of the other work he showed off on the site). If you do end up at the small claims court it will help you out (or as humberklog said above, if you really want to give him a knockout blow, contact Revenue).

Definitely don't settle for what you've been given.

Okay, thanks for the tips guys. I wasn't sure what to do, or what could be done.

I will look into what I can do with only his name, email and phone number. I don't have an address or a VAT number, as we didn't get a receipt. Or is that normal in photography?

Well I'm a pro and I never give a receipt (unless one is asked for), though I do tend to invoice when it comes to companies, etc. but obviously this doesn't apply for you.

I doubt you'll be getting a VAT number either way (I do okay from photography, but not well enough to justify registering for VAT). I'd guess the best thing you can do is get a friend to contact him. Arrange to meet him to discuss a wedding or something and offer to meet at his house?

Or tell him you're looking for a very particular style of photo or such and want to post him something. I'm not sure the easiest way to get an address to be honest (unless he was foolish enough to put himself on Google Maps/Earth?) but I reckon if you asked indirectly he might not realise what's happening and will blurt it out?

EDIT: Website aside, does he have a Facebook page? Most people have an "XYZ Photography" page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

pity there weren't more details in the exif

Camera Make Canon
    Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
    Exposure 0.01667 sec (1/60)
    F-Number f4
    Focal Length 20 mm
    Exposure Bias 0
    Orientation 1
    X Resolution 72 dpi
    Y Resolution 72 dpi
    Date and Time (Original) 2013:04:27 20:59:37
    Date and Time (Digitized) 2013:04:27 20:59:37
    Flash Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
    Artist Photographer:
    Metering Mode Pattern
    Image Width 4752 pixels
    Image Height 3168 pixels
    Date Time 2013:04:27 20:59:37
    ColorSpace default
    YCbCr Coefficients 0.2990.5870.114
    YCbCr Positioning 2
    Copyright Copyright:
    ISO Speed ISO-800
    Aperture 4
    Shutter Speed 6
    White Point 0.3130.329

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Google cache will have a snapshot (sorry) of the website, and you'll easily be able to tell if the portfolio photos were his own.

Whois might give some contact details, unless he opted for domain privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Feckin hell. I could have done better than that . With an I phone.

I think your in the right place now. The hunt is on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BTW, were there any good shots? How many in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

You could try a whois search of his website if it was his own domain name, even if it's been taken down now. He may have left the address the addy is registered at visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

BTW, were there any good shots? How many in total?

I was wondering that too.
    Also do the good photos (if any) look like they had any post processing work- straightened etc. & did he have an external flash or just use the built in one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

OP ... bit off topic ...but why didn't you come to boards to ask for recommendations first ? instead of coming on here to complain !

We have had a number of "how much should I charge?" threads so its possible that your "professional" might be on boards....and one of the recent ones that come to mind involve a €60 an hour reply. :eek::eek:

Best of luck finding the person - it might also be worth sending the details onto revenue, if this person is not a professional but claiming to be professional and not declaring the income properly revenue will get their money and hopefully stop the person operating unless they are legit....no harm in contacting them and explaining what happened and say you believe this person may be charging other people and may be avoiding paying revenue their money.

This sort of photographer ruins it for semi-professional (part-time) and professional photographers and the quicker they are blacklisted the better the reputation of all photographers (we usually all get tarred with the same brush)

Advertisement