Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predict the result of the 2013 Lions Tour.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wallabies 3-0
    2-1, gotta hammer these crims! In all seriousness though the Aussies management is in disarray lately, the team itself is extremely light in major places. I think the Lions can dominate set pieces, at least establish parity at the breakdown and then completely dominate midfield.

The big thing for me though is who the Aussies going with for their back 3. If they go Ioani, Folau and Mogg in any order id be worried as they ll kill us for bad kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Series Draw
    I reckon (& hope) it will come down to a decider. I'd pick Oz for Test 1, and Lions for Test 2, and then it's all fun & games. Either side wrapping it up after 2 matches makes for a somewhat more lame 3rd test, pride the main thing at stake in that case.

Series Draw
    Stev_o wrote: »
    2-1, gotta hammer these crims! In all seriousness though the Aussies management is in disarray lately, the team itself is extremely light in major places. I think the Lions can dominate set pieces, at least establish parity at the breakdown and then completely dominate midfield.

The big thing for me though is who the Aussies going with for their back 3. If they go Ioani, Folau and Mogg in any order id be worried as they ll kill us for bad kicking.

?

AAC is a very classy centre, and they will either have solid defensive or creative 12s. Midfield is not one spot I'd pick the Lions to crush the Aussies.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Series Draw
    I can't seem to settle on who will win, so my prediction at this stage is that there will be less than a 15 difference in margins over the three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi wrote: »
    ?

AAC is a very classy centre, and they will either have solid defensive or creative 12s. Midfield is not one spot I'd pick the Lions to crush the Aussies.

Most important area though, Lions getting the advantage here would be huge. Seen a few ex-pros with a Roberts-Tuilagi or Roberts-Davies midfield, and I hope to god it doesn't come to that. Get BOD beside one of Roberts or Tuilagi, we'll need somreone with his experience/class/nous and (most importantly) distribution at 13. I have a nagging feeling that our advantage up front will be neglible and they will simply outclass us in the backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Series Draw
    Not very confident after seeing the squad, Australia to win the first two tests and Lions to win the third.

Series Draw
    Tox56 wrote: »
    Most important area though, Lions getting the advantage here would be huge. Seen a few ex-pros with a Roberts-Tuilagi or Roberts-Davies midfield, and I hope to god it doesn't come to that. Get BOD beside one of Roberts or Tuilagi, we'll need somreone with his experience/class/nous and (most importantly) distribution at 13. I have a nagging feeling that our advantage up front will be neglible and they will simply outclass us in the backs.

IMO it's a no-brainer that Roberts-BOD are instilled provisionally as the starting centre pair given 2009, and Tualagi-Davies told to show in the warm-up matches why they should be preferred. I still find the mix of the backline weird - 3 outside centres and only 1 inside centre, only 2 flyhalves but 3 fullbacks + Maitland at a pinch. It doesn't take an expert to work out that the Lions are going to try using Roberts as a crash-ball, so if that fails, I wonder what plan B is - ?use Roberts as a decoy only. I don't think Aussie will select Cooper at 10, which limits the crash-ball to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

Im feeling happy tonight so il go 2-1 lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi wrote: »
    IMO it's a no-brainer that Roberts-BOD are instilled provisionally as the starting centre pair given 2009, and Tualagi-Davies told to show in the warm-up matches why they should be preferred. I still find the mix of the backline weird - 3 outside centres and only 1 inside centre, only 2 flyhalves but 3 fullbacks + Maitland at a pinch. It doesn't take an expert to work out that the Lions are going to try using Roberts as a crash-ball, so if that fails, I wonder what plan B is - ?use Roberts as a decoy only. I don't think Aussie will select Cooper at 10, which limits the crash-ball to a certain extent.

I'm sure the infamous Sexton loop will see some exposure, although I can't see Roberts or Tuilagi having the deft handling required to execute the move from 12 as D'Arcy so often does... Would expect to see Sexton and BOD combining though, it's so simple but it works so well...

http://youtu.be/YsYcFuzE8_0?t=1m51s

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

aussies backline is a class above lions in my opinion-the skillsets,the slick moves,handling etc- genia,o connor,beale,ioane and add in possible new guys like folau,mogg and lealiifano its some amount of talent and if that lot are in form,can see them cutting lions apart a bit provided their pack can gain some kind of parity and give them ball. And i think many of their forwards are of better quality then people give them credit for. Hooper/Smith with pocock injured are great options and horwill is a terrific lock.even front row is improved. Lions are hoping to dominate up front and be more powerful and physical and then use roberts/north to get over the gainline.will it work though?

history tells us lions rarely win series and although this isnt a seriously good australia team,i dont think its a seriously good lions team either(how many lions would genuinely make a world XV(and please take the ingrained national bias away for a minute)?
    like most series first test is so crucial
    got to fancy aussies to nick it 2-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Series Draw
    aussies backline is a class above lions in my opinion-the skillsets,the slick moves,handling etc- genia,o connor,beale,ioane and add in possible new guys like folau,mogg and lealiifano its some amount of talent and if that lot are in form,can see them cutting lions apart a bit provided their pack can gain some kind of parity and give them ball. And i think many of their forwards are of better quality then people give them credit for. Hooper/Smith with pocock injured are great options and horwill is a terrific lock.even front row is improved. Lions are hoping to dominate up front and be more powerful and physical and then use roberts/north to get over the gainline.will it work though?

history tells us lions rarely win series and although this isnt a seriously good australia team,i dont think its a seriously good lions team either(how many lions would genuinely make a world XV(and please take the ingrained national bias away for a minute)?
    like most series first test is so crucial
    got to fancy aussies to nick it 2-1.

It's annoying that you always feel the need to say something like this as if you're some sort of beacon of objectivity and we're nothing more than blinded by bias fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Wallabies 3-0
    In all honesty, which of the Lions would make the world XV?

BOD?
    Cian Healy?
    Tipuric?

Series Draw
    Grimebox wrote: »
    In all honesty, which of the Lions would make the world XV?

BOD?
    Cian Healy?
    Tipuric?

Not even disagreeing with that, just grates me

trouttrout wrote: »
    It's annoying that you always feel the need to say something like this as if you're some sort of beacon of objectivity and we're nothing more than blinded by bias fools

well this forum is rather noted and recognized for the 'everyone irish is truly brilliant' not from every poster but by many. objectivity on the merits of many players hasnt always been there-just saying-feel free to disagree.

world XV
    BOD? yeah maybe few years ago when he had pace
    tipuric?couple of decent 6 nations game thats all. Likes of mccaw,pocock,dusautoir been doing it for far longer!early days just slightly
    Healy? wouldnt have him ahead of domingo-domingo great in loose and great scrummager.
    for me only probably adam jones would make a current world XV from lions squad.

Wallabies 3-0
    Healy close
    Jones there
    POC close
    SOB close

that's about it really.

I'm a massive Halfpenny fan but Dagg is just unreal.

Series Draw
    Healy close
    Jones there
    POC close
    SOB close

that's about it really.

I'm a massive Halfpenny fan but Dagg is just unreal.

Healy & Jones are up there. POC on a very good day. Ditto for SOB. Possibly BOD, but his best days probably behind him. I like HP too, but I must say when Dagg is on form he is pretty incredible.

What about Aussie? Genia, best scrumhalf on the planet by a country mile. Horwill can be great, don't know about world XV, though. Maybe Digby. A lot of their other players are very good though - all of their 7s, JOC on his day, ditto for AAC etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't think many Aussies would make it either though, so its irrelevant.

Series Draw
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Don't think many Aussies would make it either though, so its irrelevant.

Yeah, their only nailed on world XV player is Genia. There's no doubt it should be a close series. I will be genuinely intrigued to see how the likes of Leliafano, Mogg, Folau go, they look good in the SXV, but that's not test match rugby. I also think the Aussie props have been going OK, so I'm not banking on Lions scrum domination, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Series Draw
    I'd put Genia and JOC in a world xv, and maybe Horwill and AAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Series Draw
    I think someone needs to start a world XV thread for this debate.

• Advertisement

I think someone needs to start a world XV thread for this debate.

my point wasnt to start a debate about a world XV (feel free to though) but merely to highlight that while this is a good lions touring party with few areas of real weakness,there are no areas of absolute brilliance either.I look at australia and likes of genia,o connor,beale if on form are capable of making those breaks and provide that bit more spark than i think the lions backline is.The lions defence will need to be brilliant to hold them out over 3 tests.

Series Draw
    my point wasnt to start a debate about a world XV (feel free to though) but merely to highlight that while this is a good lions touring party with few areas of real weakness,there are no areas of absolute brilliance either.I look at australia and likes of genia,o connor,beale if on form are capable of making those breaks and provide that bit more spark than i think the lions backline is.The lions defence will need to be brilliant to hold them out over 3 tests.

The Australians will have to contend with BOD, North, Bowe, Sexton and Manu Tualagi

All world class players capable of ripping up any defense

The Australians will have to contend with BOD, North, Bowe, Sexton and Manu Tualagi

all good individuals but quickly creating a slick unit with good backs moves and good understanding isnt easy.
    no guarantee all you listed will even start and if you had to pick them apart-

BOD-still a good player but laughable to say he is still regularly ripping defenses apart.theres a reason hes close to retirement.

North-quick and strong.hard to put down yes but hes no jason robinson/shane williams in terms of elusiveness/pace,stepping etc. he can be harnessed and often is.

tuilagi-some games he very good,some hes poor and virtually anonymous.decision making and handling still need work

sexton-good all round flyhalf but hes no carter. still yet to fulfill his talent on international stage and truly dominate games (kidneys fault i expect)

bowe-just back from injury and has been a while since he has been in top form.good finisher but hes hardly up there with habana,sivivatu,savea etc is he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

North-quick and strong.hard to put down yes but hes no jason robinson/shane williams in terms of elusiveness/pace,stepping etc. he can be harnessed and often is.

There isn't a winger in world rugby who isn't harnessed from time to time. Robinson and Williams had their own issues facing much larger opponents (I remember Williams being run over by Rougerie about 5 times in a match, including for two tries). Lomu never scored against South Africa.

Sexton it no Carter, but I'd handily take him over anyone the Aussies can put in the 10 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

Wallabies 3-0
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    There isn't a winger in world rugby who isn't harnessed from time to time. Robinson and Williams had their own issues facing much larger opponents (I remember Williams being run over by Rougerie about 5 times in a match, including for two tries). Lomu never scored against South Africa.

Sexton it no Carter, but I'd handily take him over anyone the Aussies can put in the 10 jersey.

If Deans had any cop-on he would have Cooper straight into the 10 spot, fair enough he didn't do to good in the World Cup but having watched him in the SXV I reckon he is as good as any number 10 in the world bar Carter. Hopefully I get to see him in the first test, just got my tickets yesterday!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wallabies 3-0
    I reckon a 2-1 win for the Lions, but it won't be easy, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Series Draw
    2-1 to the Aussies.
    We'll take the first, then they'll hit their stride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Series Draw

Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Cummins, McCabe, Beale, Ioane. Watch Israel Folau hit his straps too. Horne, White, Tomane and Vuna also worth some analysis.

Aussie have great backs. Front-five is where they'll suffer a bit, but as with the last 12 years, gameplan adapts around their weaknesses and focuses on their strengths.
    Great to see Palu back again in the backrow. George Smith will make a retun and will accompany Hooper, another expert deck operator. Ball carriers, offloaders and fetchers galore.

Saying all this I wouldn't be surprised if Australia took the Brisbane test actually.

and an edit: Forgot Berrick Barnes. Quality stock in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Series Draw
    Itoa wrote: »
    If Deans had any cop-on he would have Cooper straight into the 10 spot, fair enough he didn't do to good in the World Cup but having watched him in the SXV I reckon he is as good as any number 10 in the world bar Carter. Hopefully I get to see him in the first test, just got my tickets yesterday!:)

Story of Cooper's career though, can tear it up there but has never been able to step it up. Shame really.

• Advertisement

Series Draw
    all good individuals but quickly creating a slick unit with good backs moves and good understanding isnt easy.
    no guarantee all you listed will even start and if you had to pick them apart-

BOD-still a good player but laughable to say he is still regularly ripping defenses apart.theres a reason hes close to retirement.

tuilagi-some games he very good,some hes poor and virtually anonymous.decision making and handling still need work

sexton-good all round flyhalf but hes no carter. still yet to fulfill his talent on international stage and truly dominate games (kidneys fault i expect)

bowe-just back from injury and has been a while since he has been in top form.good finisher but hes hardly up there with habana,sivivatu,savea etc is he?

Some ridiculous exaggeration in the above

Comparing Sexton to Carter for example. And tbh, I don't think there's a whole pile between the two

Also, on BOD, he ripped it up in his last two outings, name me a 13 who rips it up in every game?

And North actually has a very good step, but comparing him to Robinson and Williams is pointless considering they offer completely different things. You could do the same with Lomu

Advertisement