Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Education

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

SupaNova2 wrote: »
    Who is subsidizing who isn't so clear, we agree that a lot of people who send their children to private schools are well off, so in a progressive tax system they are already subsidizing the less well off by contributing more tax.

But I am well off too, and subsidize the less well off myself through my taxes. I have no objection to subsidizing the less well off. It is me subsidizing private elite education for the equally well-off (and the better off) which I object to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Every child in this country is entitled in the constitution to free education. Private schooled children cost the government half of what its costs to send a child to public school. This is due to the extra parents choose to spend on their child in exchange for a better teacher ratio, better facilities, extra curriculars etc. So in reality since every child is entitled to free education through the taxes their parents pay these parents are actually subsidising the government and not the other way around.

Like it or not not all of these childrens parents are wealthy bankers, politicians, accountants etc. Many have chosen to go without certain other luxuries like holidays abroad, new cars etc to send their children to these schools so they can provide for them what they deem a better education.
    If the subsidy was stopped tomorrow a hell of a lot of these kids would be immediately re-introduced back into the public system, due to the parents not being able to afford the new fees, where they would end up costing the state twice as much as they originally did and the simple fact is there is not enough public secondary schools to take such an influx at the moment.

This is the way our education system has worked for decades and completely scrapping the subsidy tomorrow would in no way help our economy or education system. Yes there may be the the possibility of phasing it out gently over several years but its not something that can easily be gotten rid of over night like some people would like to believe.

Unlike the situation in Finland where the abolition of private schools was followed by an improvement in the their school system? Any scientific standardized test requires a standardization of factors not involving phenotypes of continual variation hence at two tier system is masking interest in subject and ability.Put in layman's terms the two tier system means we will not get the right people into college until it is abolished.

Advertisement