Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Education

Options
  • 01-05-2013 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

There has been much talk lately on Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn's plans to make school enrolement fairer.

Proposals in relation to this include the outlawing of the practice of giving priority to the children of past pupils or staff. Also proposed is that parents would no longer have to pay simply to apply for a school place and schools interviewing parents and children prior to acceptance would also be scrapped.

It has been suggested that these practices allow schools to select prefered students and exclude 'undesirables' such as children from a poor background and travers.

It is hoped that the new legislation will make access to education fairer for thjese groups. However the introduction of these rules could also have a negative impact on another group, parents who are raising their children through Irish.
    Many Gaelscoils have a policy of giving preference to children from homes where Irish is spoken both to support those families who are raising their children through Irish and because having children who are already fluent in Irish in the classroom can aid the development of language skills in the rest of the class.
    The new legislation however could mean that Gaelscoils will be prevented from giving preference to children from Irish speaking backgrounds.
    So should families raising their children through Irish be supported by the state and allowed preference in getting placements in Irish medium schools or should that practice be outlawed?

Personally while I support the aim of the proposed legislation in general, I think there is an obligation on the state to support families that are raising their children through or with Irish and Gaelscoils should be allowed to continue giving preference to children from Irish speaking backgrounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

An Coilean wrote: »
    There has been much talk lately on Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn's plans to make school enrolement fairer.

Proposals in relation to this include the outlawing of the practice of giving priority to the children of past pupils or staff. Also proposed is that parents would no longer have to pay simply to apply for a school place and schools interviewing parents and children prior to acceptance would also be scrapped.

It has been suggested that these practices allow schools to select prefered students and exclude 'undesirables' such as children from a poor background and travers.

It is hoped that the new legislation will make access to education fairer for thjese groups. However the introduction of these rules could also have a negative impact on another group, parents who are raising their children through Irish.
    Many Gaelscoils have a policy of giving preference to children from homes where Irish is spoken both to support those families who are raising their children through Irish and because having children who are already fluent in Irish in the classroom can aid the development of language skills in the rest of the class.
    The new legislation however could mean that Gaelscoils will be prevented from giving preference to children from Irish speaking backgrounds.
    So should families raising their children through Irish be supported by the state and allowed preference in getting placements in Irish medium schools or should that practice be outlawed?

Personally while I support the aim of the proposed legislation in general, I think there is an obligation on the state to support families that are raising their children through or with Irish and Gaelscoils should be allowed to continue giving preference to children from Irish speaking backgrounds.
    I suppose some sort of exception could be written in to the law for gaelscoils but then what stops parents who don't want their children mixing with "undesirables" flocking to the gaelscoils.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I suppose some sort of exception could be written in to the law for gaelscoils but then what stops parents who don't want their children mixing with "undesirables" flocking to the gaelscoils.

Well they would have to start speaking Irish at home right? Could be a good idea maybe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Proposals in relation to this include the outlawing of the practice of giving priority to the children of past pupils or staff.
    I presume that can only apply to schools which are in the free fees scheme, and not those schools who have not signed up.

If a school is effectively a group of parents coming together to educate their children as a closed community of scholars, it's hard to see how the Government can legislate for who they admit or do not admit, or what criteria these parents employ to reach such a decision.

I presume that can only apply to schools which are in the free fees scheme, and not those schools who have not signed up.

If a school is effectively a group of parents coming together to educate their children as a closed community of scholars, it's hard to see how the Government can legislate for who they admit or do not admit, or what criteria these parents employ to reach such a decision.
    Don't private schools receive government subsidy? That should be stopped if parents want to send their kids to a private school they should pay the full price themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Don't private schools receive government subsidy?

Subsidy is an understatement. The Department pays all teachers wages.

• Advertisement

Christ, :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God what a completely uninformed sweeping statement, are we back to this chip on shoulder argument?

VinLieger wrote: »
    God what a completely uninformed sweeping statement, are we back to this chip on shoulder argument?

To be clear, you know of a private school where the Department does not pay the teachers wages?

To be clear, you know of a private school where the Department does not pay the teachers wages?

I dont know of any school where they dont pay SOME of the teachers wages but as far as i know in no private school do they pay for ALL of them

I dont know of any school where they dont pay SOME of the teachers wages but as far as i know in no private school do they pay for ALL of them

Some is too much, they're either private or they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

That they would have to raise their kids through Irish to avail of preference for places in a Gaelscoil.

Some is too much, they're either private or they're not.

Every child in this country is entitled in the constitution to free education. Private schooled children cost the government half of what its costs to send a child to public school. This is due to the extra parents choose to spend on their child in exchange for a better teacher ratio, better facilities, extra curriculars etc. So in reality since every child is entitled to free education through the taxes their parents pay these parents are actually subsidising the government and not the other way around.

Like it or not not all of these childrens parents are wealthy bankers, politicians, accountants etc. Many have chosen to go without certain other luxuries like holidays abroad, new cars etc to send their children to these schools so they can provide for them what they deem a better education.
    If the subsidy was stopped tomorrow a hell of a lot of these kids would be immediately re-introduced back into the public system, due to the parents not being able to afford the new fees, where they would end up costing the state twice as much as they originally did and the simple fact is there is not enough public secondary schools to take such an influx at the moment.

This is the way our education system has worked for decades and completely scrapping the subsidy tomorrow would in no way help our economy or education system. Yes there may be the the possibility of phasing it out gently over several years but its not something that can easily be gotten rid of over night like some people would like to believe.

as far as i know in no private school do they pay for ALL of them

The Department pays for the same number of teachers in a private school as in a school with no fees with the same number of pupils.

I see your point, that private schools hire extra teachers with their fee money, so the Dept. does not pay for all of their teachers. I was wrong there.

That they would have to raise their kids through Irish to avail of preference for places in a Gaelscoil.
    Anyone can promise to do that. It's not like the child can be expelled if the parents don't stick to their word.

Every child in this country is entitled in the constitution to free education. Private schooled children cost the government half of what its costs to send a child to public school. This is due to the extra parents choose to spend on their child in exchange for a better teacher ratio, better facilities, extra curriculars etc. So in reality since every child is entitled to free education through the taxes their parents pay these parents are actually subsidising the government and not the other way around.
    Every child is entitled to education but not private education. If parents want to educate their children in private schools with better facilities that's within their rights but the government should not help them.
    Like it or not not all of these childrens parents are wealthy bankers, politicians, accountants etc. Many have chosen to go without certain other luxuries like holidays abroad, new cars etc to send their children to these schools so they can provide for them what they deem a better education.
    If the subsidy was stopped tomorrow a hell of a lot of these kids would be immediately re-introduced back into the public system, due to the parents not being able to afford the new fees, where they would end up costing the state twice as much as they originally did and the simple fact is there is not enough public secondary schools to take such an influx at the moment.
    Doesn't matter, I'd happily pay that price for greater social equality and mobility. Society should be meritocratic, no one should have an advantage in life because their parents were wealthy.
    This is the way our education system has worked for decades and completely scrapping the subsidy tomorrow would in no way help our economy or education system. Yes there may be the the possibility of phasing it out gently over several years but its not something that can easily be gotten rid of over night like some people would like to believe.
    And it was done wrong for decades. The child of a drug addict in a council estate is entitled to the same education as a banker's son.

Every child is entitled to education but not private education. If parents want to educate their children in private schools with better facilities that's within their rights but the government should not help them.

Doesn't matter, I'd happily pay that price for greater social equality and mobility. Society should be meritocratic, no one should have an advantage in life because their parents were wealthy.

And it was done wrong for decades. The child of a drug addict in a council estate is entitled to the same education as a banker's son.

Fair enough, i actually remember having the same argument with you when this was a thread in after hours. Were not gonna agree.

Just one question though, the 2 pieces of your post ive bolded do contradict each other and im curious about which you would you prefer?
    Preferential education but ONLY if the parents pay for all? or no preferential education irregardless of parental wealth so in essence only allow state run education?

Anyone can promise to do that. It's not like the child can be expelled if the parents don't stick to their word.

Of course anyone can promise to do something, but who said anything about giving preference of places to families that promise to raise their kids through Irish? There are families that raise their kids through Irish before school going age and it is to them that I am reffering. Of course you could get into the whole thing of how long before applying for a place in the school would the family have to be using Irish and it can be dificult for schools to make that call though in general the criteria are that at least one parent be able to speak Irish and the child show an ability to understand spoken Irish.

The situation is that for a given Gaelscoil, there might be two or three families in the area that are raising their children through Irish who are ready to start school in September, many Gaelscoils have a policy whereby places would be given to those children first. The proposed legislation would prevent that from happening.
    I am not suggesting that Gaelscoils be given a total free pass on the legislation, but that an exception be made in the legislation in the sepcific case of children raised through Irish being given preference for places in an Irish Medium School.

Preferential education but ONLY if the parents pay for all? or no preferential education irregardless of parental wealth so in essence only allow state run education?

I'm fine with privately-funded schools. I don't and wouldn't send my kids to one. I don't think the taxpayer should give them €90m a year.

I also don't think we should have tax-funded schools segregated by religious ethos, or discrimination against teachers of the wrong religion or none in the tax-funded system.

Fair enough, i actually remember having the same argument with you when this was a thread in after hours. Were not gonna agree.

Just one question though, the 2 pieces of your post ive bolded do contradict each other and im curious about which you would you prefer?
    That's a tough question. I'd prefer the latter but I recognise this would infringe on the parents rights. So the former. On the basis that there will be very few areas with a high enough percentage of people who can afford it.

an exception be made in the legislation in the sepcific case of children raised through Irish being given preference for places in an Irish Medium School.

How would you establish for legal purposes that a particular child is being raised through Irish?

• Advertisement

Of course anyone can promise to do something, but who said anything about giving preference of places to families that promise to raise their kids through Irish? It is specifically for families that already are raising their kids through Irish.

The situation is that for a given Gaelscoil, there might be two or three families in the area that are raising their children through Irish who are ready to start school in September, many Gaelscoils have a policy whereby places would be given to those children first. The proposed legislation would prevent that from happening.
    I am not suggesting that Gaelscoils be given a total free pass on the legislation, but that an exception be made in the legislation in the sepcific case of children raised through Irish being given preference for places in an Irish Medium School.
    I don't know, it just seems so open to abuse. I can see the point you're making though. Have you tried bringing up the issue with your TD?

How would you establish for legal purposes that a particular child is being raised through Irish?

That is a good question, as mentioned above the general criteria are that at least one parent have Irish and the child show an ability to understand spoken Irish.

There would have to be some discression on the part of schools though the Dept. should draw up guidelines and regulate it to prevent abuse of the system.

I'm fine with privately-funded schools. I don't and wouldn't send my kids to one. I don't think the taxpayer should give them €90m a year.

I also don't think we should have tax-funded schools segregated by religious ethos, or discrimination against teachers of the wrong religion or none in the tax-funded system.

I completely agree that a religious ethos is wrong in private or public schools that receive public money and that whole teachers have to be certain religion thing is a disgrace.
    That's a tough question. I'd prefer the latter but I recognise this would infringe on the parents rights. So the former. On the basis that there will be very few areas with a high enough percentage of people who can afford it.

But that would create an even more polarised education system than we have now. Yes the elite would be a tiny minority but it would create an even larger sense of elitism in them which from what youve said is one of your major issues.

But that would create an even more polarised education system than we have now. Yes the elite would be a tiny minority but it would create an even larger feeling of elitism in them which from what youve said is one of your major issues.
    It's not so much social inequality I have a problem with. I want to promote social mobility. Give equal opportunities. And if only 0.5% of schools are in areas with enough wealthy parents to afford non subsidised private schools then 99.5% of kids are still starting out on an even footing. A marked improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Private schools are a fact of life. The current subsidies mean that people who could otherwise not afford them can. So you could argue it is increasing their availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

No it does not.

The reason why fee paying schools have lower pupil:teacher ratios is usually because the schools take on extra teachers themselves above and beyond those teachers which the Department of Education pays for.

It is wrong to say that the Department pays for all teachers in fee paying schools.

I'm not defending the level of funding extended to fee paying schools by the way- just stating that simple fact.

Private schools are a fact of life. The current subsidies mean that people who could otherwise not afford them can. So you could argue it is increasing their availability.
    It's obviously not an unalterable fact of life if it can be altered.

So you could argue it is increasing their availability.

Yes, sending more well-off kids to elite establishments, further ghetto-izing the schools less well-off kids can attend.

This is a bad thing.

It's obviously not an unalterable fact of life if it can be altered.

So you would abolish private schools?

• Advertisement

Yes, sending more well-off kids to elite establishments, further ghetto-izing the schools less well-off kids can attend.

This is a bad thing.

I'm well off am I? My bank account Would suggest otherwise.

Advertisement