Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further €3.1 billion will be sought next year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,524 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Full year apparently. I think the State is currently trying to bleed out every single Euro they can raise from every single angle possible. Even if it is blatantly unfair.

They are supposed to be helping small businesses but they got it mixed up and replaced "help" with "hinder".
    You should actually be given a year or two free for starting a business and employing workers but they would never consider that.
    "business? we'll put business out of his head".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Full year apparently. I think the State is currently trying to bleed out every single Euro they can raise from every single angle possible. Even if it is blatantly unfair.

But yet the big company's like Starbucks are paying hardly anything to operate here. The mind boggles, they talk about SME start ups then hammer them out of it from day one !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

oh, wait, I'm tired, nevermind.

We need to go on 'strike', block traffic and demand the dail takes some cuts.
    (Stop enough traffic/business etc and they'll have to do it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

jjbrien wrote: »
    Heres an idea I have been thinking of what if the Goverment gave grants to comapies to hire people who are on the dole for more than 6 months lets say a grant of around 3k per person the company takes off the dole this can be made up of a cash payment to the company and a reduction in its prsi for that person meaning its cheaper to keep that person. A single person on the dole will get 9776 euros a year whilst a married person gets almost double that. Would cut the welfare bill a lot bring in jobs and help kick start the economy. This government seems to think that by making cuts it will solve everything so far in the past few years it hasnt done anything time for a new way.
    Good idea, but here's the rub. If you're on the Dole, there is a scheme exactly as you describe. If you worked 18 hour days for years to save up to start a new Company, but were not on the dole, you get....nothing. Despite your proven clients, proven track record as a sole trader and the fact you are creating new and fully sustainable jobs with products people actually want to buy and are buying for proper money. Some situation. The feckin total rates bill would have paid for another machine to employ another person. Some bunch of muppets running this ship we're sailing on.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Heres an idea I have been thinking of what if the Goverment gave grants to comapies to hire people who are on the dole for more than 6 months lets say a grant of around 3k per person the company takes off the dole this can be made up of a cash payment to the company and a reduction in its prsi for that person meaning its cheaper to keep that person. A single person on the dole will get 9776 euros a year whilst a married person gets almost double that. Would cut the welfare bill a lot bring in jobs and help kick start the economy. This government seems to think that by making cuts it will solve everything so far in the past few years it hasnt done anything time for a new way.

Its already there, Revenue Job assist and Employer JobPRSI incentive scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

I opened a new welding business today - big deal for me and a long held wish to have a decent, modern premises of my own so am renting one, today was opening day(always worked out of vans/on site doing industrial work).

First, very first walk-in "customer" walks in, I go ohh, customer. "Hi" says "customer" - "I'm Hugh Cnut from the C.C rates collection department, the last lad in here went bust and there is an outstanding rates bill due on this premises which is now yours and here's your bill for the current full year".

Thousands. I can pay, just, but somthing else will have to suffer. I scrimped and saved to open up, didn't get one penny help from the state and am employing three others full time and have plenty of high profile Multinational customers who know how good our work is and give us good work. My

opening day help from the state? A pat on the back, a small grant? No, Another massive bill. Fcuking country. I can see the working joe soap getting squeezed till the pips squeak to raise this feckin 3-4 billion extra.

Troll. I don't believe you. You are not liable to pay rates on previous tenant. I did not know that they still had rates collectors but it is not believable that if they do that one would have lied to you and said that you had to pay for last tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

lanyard wrote: »
    Cut the dole - it's the €20billion elephant in the room

That works out at about €44,000 a year for everyone on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lanyard

regress wrote: »
    Troll. I don't believe you. You are not liable to pay rates on previous tenant. I did not know that they still had rates collectors but it is not believable that if they do that one would have lied to you and said that you had to pay for last tenant.

Commercial rates remain with the property and the new owner will become liable. The poster should have asked his solicitor if there was any rates outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This country needs to take a leaf from the people of France. When the government does ANYTHING over there to impinge on their lives, the country shuts down and action is taken by the citizens.

Over there, the government is scared shítless of the citizens. Over here, the citizens are scared shítless of the government. Not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Commercial rates remain with the property and the new owner will become liable. The poster should have asked his solicitor if there was any rates outstanding.

What are the rates paying for?

My local cafe had to pay out E6000 to the council before she opened. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

DazMarz wrote: »
    This country needs to take a leaf from the people of France. When the government does ANYTHING over there to impinge on their lives, the country shuts down and action is taken by the citizens.

Over there, the government is scared shítless of the citizens. Over here, the citizens are scared shítless of the government. Not a good thing.
    And when we can't borrow money to pay the PS, dole, etc, the country will have some form of shut down. Hurray.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

DazMarz wrote: »

How are they getting away with such high property taxes and a wealth tax in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

there are rate collectors and they will try and get money whatever way they can

bluewolf wrote: »
    And when we can't borrow money to pay the PS, dole, etc, the country will have some form of shut down. Hurray.

Might not really be a bad thing.
    At least we could start afresh with new politics and a bit of honesty installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

new owner of property not new tenant is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Window Tax, Glimmer Man, How about we lock up Bertie, Quinn, Any of the cnuts that defaulted on NAMA loans in stocks at the GPO and other local land marks and charge €2 to whip the ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

What are the rates paying for?

My local cafe had to pay out E6000 to the council before she opened. Why?

because we need to send our County councilors abroad every St. Patrick's Day to represent us.
    Flights, decent accommodation and expenses all add up you know!

Nice one. Also, I care if you believe me, truly I do. Where's the "up yours pal" smiley when you need it? I'm here brooding over the nutty rates demand, but sure I probably made it up just to annoy you, eh. And the new owner is a bank-they lent out the money to the original owner, I'm just a tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just wish they would have the balls to cut pensions.
    despite the poor mouth that they play, the majority of the country's wealth is with the over 65s, so why should they be protected so much?

The Government jets (2) should be sold off as well as the fleet of minister's cars. We cannot afford them. Let them use their own cars seeing as we are paying them mileage anyway. Why pay mileage to people to get to work? What other worker gets that?

It might not raise a lot but it would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

bluewolf wrote: »

close it down. destroy the ****ing country. we will start again. let banks fail. new ones will open. its probably gonna happen eventually. lets do it on our terms. who are we protecting?

remember, 4 million citizens put on the hook for 400 billion?

how the **** is that gonna pan out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Isnt the gathering going to save the tourism industry this year. Plus we are selling the state assets left, right and center. I think the government needs to make lower income people pay more income tax. The wealthy pay more than their fair share at 56% marginal tax rate and they generally all have private health insurance. A low income person like in most european countries should contribute more to government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lanyard

new owner of property not new tenant is that correct?

Rates are levied on the occupier. So if a tennant did not pay their rates a landlord would not be liable as they were not the occupier. The next occupier would become liable.
    f the occupier who is primarily liable does not discharge its liability, statute provides that the next occupier of the premises can be pursued by the rate collector for the arrears.

There is no basis for this in law for a local authority to pursue a property owner for unpaid rates for which its tenant was liable where that owner does not become the occupier of the premises.

http://www.byrnewallace.com/Media/Publications/Publications_List/Commercial_rates_-_who_is_liable_/

However, most landlords would normally pay the unpaid rates because noone would rent a premises with unpaid rates from a previous tennant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

selling state assets at depressed prices is ****ing stupid. the government could make more money by keeping them, instead of selling them off forever, for the sake of paying a pittance off the huge ****ing debt we owe. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO EVER PAY IT BACK. jaysus lads dont get me started.

Rates are levied on the occupier. So if a tennant did not pay their rates a landlord would not be liable as they were not the occupier. The next occupier would become liable.

However, most landlords would normally pay the unpaid rates because noone who wasn't a dummie would rent a premises with unpaid rates from a previous tennant.
    fyp.:( On the upside, I havn't signed a lease yet (they're dead slow)so I can still walk. And I will, if it comes down to it. I'll just have to find somwhere else, moving will not be cheap or easy though. Utter bummer.

hfallada wrote: »
    Isnt the gathering going to save the tourism industry this year. Plus we are selling the state assets left, right and center. I think the government needs to make lower income people pay more income tax. The wealthy pay more than their fair share at 56% marginal tax rate and they generally all have private health insurance. A low income person like in most european countries should contribute more to government.

When does "the fleecing" begin anyway.
    How much will be squeezed out of the people who bite?

emo72 wrote: »
    selling state assets at depressed prices is ****ing stupid. the government could make more money by keeping them, instead of selling them off forever, for the sake of paying a pittance off the huge ****ing debt we owe. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO EVER PAY IT BACK. jaysus lads dont get me started.

I don't consider myself as owing anything.
    I never borrowed what I couldn't pay back.
    I lived within my means and had nothing to do with any banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Lads no one likes tax increases and wage cuts but while out tax intake falls well short of our expenditure we need to make up the short fall by taking money from Europe so we can keep our hospitals open, Gardai on the streets, keeping the banks open and generally keeping the country going so by taking this money we must get our house in order.

Everyone is feeling it even if it looks like the grass is greener.

And who ever said we should vote FF back in please GTFO though that said I would put money on it that FF will be the next party in government after FG and Labour cleaned up their mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

fyp.:( On the upside, I havn't signed a lease yet (they're dead slow)so I can still walk. And I will, if it comes down to it. I'll just have to find somwhere else, moving will not be cheap or easy though. Utter bummer.

Commercial rates fall due on the occupier of the premises on the "strike date" ie the date the rates were struck by the local council. They are not divvied up pro rata over the year. Find out when the strike date is and tell them to bugger off until next year. Get a solicitor to write a letter or something.

There is a provision for the owner to claim a rebate on the rates if the property was vacant when the rates were struck. The amount of the rebate depends on the local council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I don't understand why the dole isn't properly means tested. I don't think it should be cut necessarily for those that need it but I am in my early 20s and I know so many people my age just sitting round taking the dole.

When you think about it it's a handy number. Sitting at home, paying no rent or petrol bills. My close friend spends all his money on smokes and drink. Literally all of it. Where's the incentive to change? Another friend was actually offered a job and refused because she'd only get a little more than the dole and didnt want to pay tax. It's sickening.

And here I am with bills up to my ears, earning fck all in a stressful job....

Advertisement