Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post PostFX™ prepaid MasterCard® currency card

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

As someone suggested here, I took out a card in my name for my son iin the US. I kept the original and topped up for him. You must present photo ID, license or passport. I may have supplied both of these at the start so that either would be valid when topping. They are always very strict on the id, taking note of the number etc each time - even in a PO where I'm known. So in short, no, mummy can't do it unless she is the cardholder and no, you cannot top up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Revenue money laundering laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I want to get a pre-paid sterling card for a friend in the north as a present. Can I do this with the An Post card? If I give my I.d. when topping up can they use it as a different person? If not, what's the best option? It has to be a credit card as I don't want to give cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You can check the balance on the card at ATM's in the states. Just select balance enquiry and checking / current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I want to get a pre-paid sterling card for a friend in the north as a present. Can I do this with the An Post card? If I give my I.d. when topping up can they use it as a different person? If not, what's the best option? It has to be a credit card as I don't want to give cash.
    Yep. In fact this is nearly exactly what I got two sets of cards for (1 sterling, 1 USD). The card doesn't have a name embossed on it so just leave the signature field blank and tell your friend the PIN. Retailers won't give a toss about the signature because once the purchase goes through they're paid. But they should of course use your name if they're using it to pay for something online, as it's issued to you.

Last week my 15yo used my Sterling one while visiting her sister in London and right now my 18yo is in New Jersey burning her way through the dollar balance on the other one. In both cases I hold onto the secondary card and I can check purchases/balances online and top up in the local post office if/when necessary. Safer and cheaper than giving them cash, and any of us can use it in the future. I'd say the banks here are hoping it doesn't catch on; it'd be the end of a very lucrative little business line for them... :-*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I got one of these yesterday. Put £200 onto the card and it cost me €257 :mad:. The exchange rate they were using was 0.77. There's no charge for the card and no commission (built into the exchange rate :rolleyes:) so where did the extra charge come from? Should it not have been €246? Didn't query it at the time because I though there was an extra charge somewhere but on looking at the receipt there's nothing :confused:.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The current exchange rate is £1 = €1.256 on the markets. That would mean that £200 = €251.20, don't know where you got the €246 from.

Those rates are the market rate at present and the only way you would get close to that is by using a credit card to purchase an item in the UK. The rate you got was €1.28, which is the very least the banks would give you and you would then have to pay them commission. As you say, there is no commission with the An Post card, but like all 0% commission exchange services you get a slightly poorer rate in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

The current exchange rate is £1 = €1.256 on the markets. That would mean that £200 = €251.20, don't know where you got the €246 from.

Those rates are the market rate at present and the only way you would get close to that is by using a credit card to purchase an item in the UK. The rate you got was €1.28, which is the very least the banks would give you and you would then have to pay them commission. As you say, there is no commission with the An Post card, but like all 0% commission exchange services you get a slightly poorer rate in that case.

The exchange rate quoted on the receipt was 77p. Perhaps my maths is bad but would that not make £200 = €246?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

You're right, it is lol

€1=77p means that £1= 1.2987, so almost €1.30.

£200 should be €259.74 in this case.

The €246 would equal a rate of 0.81

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Currently in the states with an FX card from an post.

Any way I can top this up from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

I checked the rates last time I went to the UK (last summer) and found that the An Post Card works out a fair bit more expensive.

The rates I found when I looked into it were as follows:

Withdrawal Ulster bank/RBS atm - €100 = £87.70 (for Ulster bank customers only)
    Standard ATM using Visa debit card €100 = £85.11
    An Post card €100 = £82.98

fergm wrote: »
    I checked the rates last time I went to the UK (last summer) and found that the An Post Card works out a fair bit more expensive.

The rates I found when I looked into it were as follows:

Withdrawal Ulster bank/RBS atm - €100 = £87.70 (for Ulster bank customers only)
    Standard ATM using Visa debit card €100 = £85.11
    An Post card €100 = £82.98

you including the fees in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

irishgeo wrote: »
    you including the fees in that?

Yeah that included all fees etc.

If you are an ulster bank Customer you don't get charged fees if you withdraw in a Rbs ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭chopperp

these cards are a joke , no way of topping up online which is ridiculous as i was in the US and tried to top up online as I ran out of dollars so ended up using my visa debit anyway

chopperp wrote: »
    these cards are a joke , no way of topping up online which is ridiculous as i was in the US and tried to top up online as I ran out of dollars so ended up using my visa debit anyway

i don't think they offer a topup online option due to money laundering laws.

In fairness, you might have, er, RTFM before taking off to the States? ;)

No need to be so rude peckerhead !!!!!( I take it RTFM means read the ****ing manual ) I would well be within my rights to report you !!!!!!!!!!!!

my point I was told I could TOP UP online so I put on what I could afford as I was planning on topping up halfway through my trip when I got paid so i didnt bother reading the T&C's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

No need to be so rude peckerhead !!!!!( I take it RTFM means read the ****ing manual ) I would well be within my rights to report you !!!!!!!!!!!!

my point I was told I could TOP UP online so I put on what I could afford as I was planning on topping up halfway through my trip when I got paid so i didnt bother reading the T&C's

You are saying the card is a joke because you were "told" one thing so didn't bother reading the t&c's?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

For anyone interested in getting the post fx card, I can report back that it's working well.

Boyfriend is working in the states and using one card. I'm topping it up for him here.

No problems so far. Make sure if you are getting one to remind them you want 2 cards.

I'm not being rude. You were complaining that the card was "ridiculous" and "a joke", when all that happened is that *you* didn't bother reading the info on the application form *you* signed... (and now you're claiming that someone "told" you lies about it? Time to ring Joe...)

Hopefully you'll have learned something from the experience. But from your aggrieved tone I doubt it.

Politely yours,
    Peckerhead

NO : 1. you are k being rude
    NO : 2. I didn't expect n to be furnished with the incorrect basic information
    NO : 3. I loaded my card o with what I could afford at the time and explained to the clerk that I was due to be paid a week after I arrived in the US and she informed I could reload online , so it was only when I ran out of money and tried to reload that I decided to read the T&C's
    NO: 4. So in my opinion because b you can't TOP UP online I just so see the major benefit

Having some difficulty following you here, but I gather you still feel offended at my suggestion that you might have read the (very short, very clear) t&c before putting yourself in the situation you did. I don't know why you appear to think this was someone else's fault, but my intention was not to give offence.

would you expect to be furnished with incorrect basic information regarding this product considering it is from a Semi State body ? . becuse I wouldn't and after contacting my local post office the clerk admitted that she had provided incorrect information to me regarding the card , i certainly would have expected that the staff would have read the T&C's ( I hold my hands up I should not have just took her word for it ) but I still feel the card is useless without the facility to top up online

Not useless, just not useful for your purpose. I found it very useful.

Most prepaid debit cards will only be available to you in euro, so you're still going to pay FX fees. I've had a Neteller card until now, but I plan to ditch now that I have this PostFX™ yoke.

As an afterthought to my earlier post — my kid came back from the States with about a $30 balance left on the card. I could have brought it in to the Post Office and cashed out my €20 or whatever, but instead I added it as a payment source to my PayPal account. Now I select that card when buying USD items on eBay, Aliexpress, etc. and pay exactly the USD price instead of VISA's FX rate plus 2.75% fee. Pennies saved, but what the hey... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭mjp

Is your card insured for theft or loss when abroad? Seems to be very easy to get away with purchases without pin code in America and signatures can be forged very easily

• Advertisement

No, but they will block the card and protect your funds as soon as you report the theft/loss to their 24/7 helpline. See here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement