Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post PostFX™ prepaid MasterCard® currency card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Would this work for buying devices from the UK Google Play store with parcel motel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Pain with I.D and forms.Got my O2 money card no forms or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

bigpink wrote: »

No big deal really. I find the O2 card much more painful, because the maximum topup per day is €350

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

bigpink wrote: »

And both serve completely different purposes/audiences.

The AnPost cards are to avoid the foreign currency charge and allow you reasonable high loads (up to 30000$/18000£ a year). Usage in € is possible but would cost you 5.75% fee. This is aimed at people going on holidays to avoid them using cash. The other features of iTunes or NI PM usage are just for some of us.

The O2 money card can only be loaded up to 2500€ before you need to present ID (at present until the new 100€ EU guideline kicks in) and it would cost you 2.75% to use the card in any other currency. It's aimed at those who can't get a credit card/debit card or those who want to spend money "anonymous".

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Hi guys, does anyone know if these cards can be used for a pre-authorisation in a hotel? My mother is heading to the states soon and was wondering if she could use hers for pre-authorisation in a hotel.

Appreciate any help.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, does anyone know if these cards can be used for a pre-authorisation in a hotel? My mother is heading to the states soon and was wondering if she could use hers for pre-authorisation in a hotel.

Appreciate any help.

Yes they can but the usual warning for debit cards applies here as the card is coded as a debit card.

This means the funds will be blocked (and remember hotels take 20-50% more than the hotel rate to cover minibar and restaurant you might use) and if they during check-out not enter the authorization number that they got when taking the pre-authorisation you need to have enough funds in the card to cover both transactions with the pre-authorisation blocking funds for up to 30 days.

Debit cards are never good for hotels.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Heading to Disney next month, and want to split my Dollars between cash and card. Are there, in general, any issues I need to be aware of with using this card?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Yes they can but the usual warning for debit cards applies here as the card is coded as a debit card.

This means the funds will be blocked (and remember hotels take 20-50% more than the hotel rate to cover minibar and restaurant you might use) and if they during check-out not enter the authorization number that they got when taking the pre-authorisation you need to have enough funds in the card to cover both transactions with the pre-authorisation blocking funds for up to 30 days.

Debit cards are never good for hotels.

Well she is paying the hotel cost in cash. She just wants to use the card to cover the $50 a night the hotel take as a pre-authorisation in case the mini-bar etc is used.

Does it take 30 days for the pre-authorisation funds to be put back onto the card? Thanks for the help..

Well she is paying the hotel cost in cash. She just wants to use the card to cover the $50 a night the hotel take as a pre-authorisation in case the mini-bar etc is used.

Does it take 30 days for the pre-authorisation funds to be put back onto the card? Thanks for the help..

It can take anything between 7 and 30 days for the funds to be released, it depends on the hotel and their merchant agreement.

In principle the hotel should when she checks out get a final authorization while entering the reference of the pre-authorization in that case the amount will be debited correctly and the pre-authorization goes away immediately. unfortunately not all hotels do that correctly and you might get stuck with a longer freeze period.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

From reading all the posts, think there is a lot of confusion. Was wondering if I have it all picked up right...

Am heading to the States soon and from what I gather, the handiest way of getting this to work, is to have 2 cards, one at home and one on holiday.

Anything else relevant?

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Marylouise10

Is there anyway to check the balance of the card online when you are away so you know how much is left on it? Save embarrassment in a restaurant etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is there anyway to check the balance of the card online when you are away so you know how much is left on it? Save embarrassment in a restaurant etc

Yes. Here is the link: http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/ie/Using-Your-Card/My-Account/

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Can anyone help please - is there a delay in issuing the card if you show up with correct id etc or do you walk out on the day with card in hand?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Can anyone help please - is there a delay in issuing the card if you show up with correct id etc or do you walk out on the day with card in hand?
    Thanks

No delay. Took 10 to 15 minutes until I walked out with my preloaded cards. Very straightforward!

Thanks

The cards are not personalised, so what the post office staff does is give you one (or two if prefer) cards in an envelope with all the information you need about them. The name on the card is "Currency Card".

A tip, if you get the 2 cards make sure when you to register online that you register using the primary card number (it's pointed out on the envelope & the receipt what the primary card number is).

Also I found that the online interface is great as it even shows information about the pending transactions.

Also when going back later to load the card make sure you remember the PIN because you need the PIN plus your ID to load the card again.

lso when going back later to load the card make sure you remember the PIN
    Thanks for your reply. Can you then top up the primary card using the secondary card (eg if the primary card is abroad)?

Apologies to all, I realize this is straying from a Bargain Alert . .

Thanks for your reply. Can you then top up the primary card using the secondary card (eg if the primary card is abroad)?

Apologies to all, I realize this is straying from a Bargain Alert . .

In theory to comply with money laundering law only the registered card holder is allowed to top of the card (which is why you need to show ID to top up) and the secondary card should only be used if the primary is lost (i.e. the card is only a backup card in case you loose you primary one).

Having said that, I think someone here posted that he had success doing this in his local post office.

Thanks again. I would intend signing up as the account holder and giving the use of the second card to someone else. I think that should be legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why would any one use this card over a visa debit. The rates on visa are pretty good and the commission is only 1,75% on pos. You don't have to charge it up

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

paddyp wrote: »
    Looks good just don't make any other currency transactions.

"Merchant transactions and ATM withdrawals in a currency other than the currency of the Card will be exchanged to the currency on the Card at an exchange rate determined by MasterCard® on the day the transaction is processed, increased by 5.75%."[/QUOTE]

What does this mean, is it if I have sterling on a card and buy something in Ireland for euros.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    Looks good just don't make any other currency transactions.

"Merchant transactions and ATM withdrawals in a currency other than the currency of the Card will be exchanged to the currency on the Card at an exchange rate determined by MasterCard® on the day the transaction is processed, increased by 5.75%."[/QUOTE]

What does this mean, is it if I have sterling on a card and buy something in Ireland for euros.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

What is the £10 sterling shortfall fee and the non-emergency cash out fee through card services £6 on this PostFX card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Just wondering about the fact that its not personalised.

Has anybody that has used it in the States (specifically Boston, MA) had any issues in shops because their name is not on the card??

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Haven't used this in person yet, but I tried using it online and despite me using my Irish address (which I registered the card to) as the billing address, it says that the address doesn't match the one my bank has.

Anyone have any success using the card online?

RayCarley wrote: »
    Haven't used this in person yet, but I tried using it online and despite me using my Irish address (which I registered the card to) as the billing address, it says that the address doesn't match the one my bank has.

Anyone have any success using the card online?

I have used both £ and $ cards online both with my Irish address and a NI/US address set as temporary address respectively.

In fact the $ card is my US iTunes store card and the £ card was used for example for the Tassimo deal but also for other PM shopping.

Now I noticed that the AnPost person entered my Irish address strangely so I corrected it when I registered, so you might want to check if the address they have used is matching what you enter at the merchant exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

I have used both £ and $ cards online both with my Irish address and a NI/US address set as temporary address respectively.

In fact the $ card is my US iTunes store card and the £ card was used for example for the Tassimo deal but also for other PM shopping.

Now I noticed that the AnPost person entered my Irish address strangely so I corrected it when I registered, so you might want to check if the address they have used is matching what you enter at the merchant exactly.

Good call. I was actually trying to find out what address they had on file, when I finally noticed the little "My Profile" button on the top right when you log in. They had my address formatted very strangely, so I changed that. I tried using it again online straight away, but it didn't work because I reckon it will take like 24 hours or something for that to make it though the system.
    Fingers crossed it works tomorrow now.

Make sure and ask for the second card at the time you recieve the first one. It only came to my attention after I received my card that you can only get it at the same time as the original one. There is no getting it after the fact. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Make sure and ask for the second card at the time you recieve the first one. It only came to my attention after I received my card that you can only get it at the same time as the original one. There is no getting it after the fact. Annoying.

Almost same problem here. Partner stated on the form he required two, when he got home the envelope only had one. After being sent from Billy to Jack and ten employees later..... AnPost refusing to correct their clerical mistake unless we top up at least $130.. Disaster we should of never bothered. Now were stuck with one card for going away or else refund our money and get a good chunk less back.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dani049

GavMan wrote: »

Has anybody that has used it in the States (specifically Boston, MA) had any issues in shops because their name is not on the card??

Gav

wondering the same thing

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »

Gav

I'd like to find out the answer to this also because I'm going to be travelling to Boston in two weeks and head over quite frequently. This will be the first time I use the card. It's all a bit sketchy when you think about it :/ I hope ALL shops accept it because ill be putting most of my finds on it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement