Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

knacker drinking.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

The funny thing I find is that I could drink double when I was knacker drinking than I can now. One night four of use bought around 160 euro worth of drink and drank the whole lot of it and were grand. That was when I was 14/15. Now I'd be lucky if I woke up with my phone and pants and no headache after 8 pints and I'm 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

hefferboi wrote: »
    The funny thing I find is that I could drink double when I was knacker drinking than I can now. One night four of use bought around 160 euro worth of drink and drank the whole lot of it and were grand. That was when I was 14/15. Now I'd be lucky if I woke up with my phone and pants and no headache after 8 pints and I'm 21.

good man yourself! It was prob about 40 euro ye spent but everytime you re-told the story the amount went up. Its not lying your 14/15 year old self started to believe the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I've never heard of this term "knacker-drinking" till i read an article on Boyzone a few years ago and they mentioned it.
    (they claimed they went knacker drinking one night at the height of their career for nostalic reasons and to get away from fans).

I must admit I prefer this type of session more than a bar or club.
    It's got to be far from the Hoi Polloi however.
    Ive spent many a long Summers evening on Donegal rocks with a few mates, fishing rods and a few beers.
    No mobiles or girlfriends.
    Watching the sun dip over the horizon, the sound of the waves, smell of sun-cream on my ridiculous red face, the fuzzy feeling of getting drunk.

You just won't get that feeling in Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

This was my regular pastime of a weekend from when I started drinking at around 13 until I looked old enough to get served at around 16. It's not just for the proletariat either. All of my nice privately educated middle class mates did it too. Just because your parents have a few bob doesn't mean they're going to let you get paralytically drunk and stick your tounge down some spotty youth's gob in their living room. Of course if they're stupid enough to go away for the weekend and leave you to a free gaff thats a different story... I think it's more of an age thing rather than to do with money or social status. I too siphoned off a little of every bottle of spirits in the aul pair's booze cabinet and topped it off with coke (which was inevitably warm and flat by the time you got around to drinking it). We called it a Dolly Mixture. Always avoid the baileys tho- it turns the whole thing into this rank jelly like substance, and its only 17%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Strange, how someone drinking in a field,laneway or on a beach,can be called a knacker,when their being chased by a gang of drunks coming home from drinking all night in pubs and clubs in town...... Quite amusing actually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    good man yourself! It was prob about 40 euro ye spent but everytime you re-told the story the amount went up. Its not lying your 14/15 year old self started to believe the stories.
    ya hit the nail on the head their m8 hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Maybe they bought a couple of bottles of Laurent Perrier?

Myself and a few mates have been going to the "Outside Inn" quite a bit this weather.
    Savage craic.
    Bag of cider with a few ice packs shoved in.
    The missus even had a bottle of white and a pop up wine glass!

Nothing wrong with it as long as you bring your empties home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

urbanledge wrote: »
    Myself and a few mates have been going to the "Outside Inn" quite a bit this weather.
    Savage craic.
    Bag of cider with a few ice packs shoved in.
    The missus even had a bottle of white and a pop up wine glass!

Nothing wrong with it as long as you bring your empties home!

Whats wrong with a bin ?

Warper wrote: »
    Whats wrong with a bin ?

Full of cans already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Half a can of cider followed by a drunken sleep in a field. Those were the days.

Advertisement